Thread: You really haven't lived until....

You really haven't lived until....

....you R&R an AWD transmission from a German engineered car....on your back. And accessing TC Torx head bolts through a small alcove after removing the starter. GREAT design.... >puke<

Swapping the hulk on my S6 wagon. A host easier than the RS6 though as you can still leave the engine in situ and access all the bolts that mount it to the engine just fine. Just REALLY heavy. And what engineer in their right mind couldn't have put an access hole in the bellhousing on the same side as you need to be on to install the TC bolts? I mean really, would that be too much to ask? Not a big deal if you're doing the job with a buddy, but when you're doing it solo, you have to get up and down to move from side to side to gently rotate the TC with the end of your finger one one side while trying to see the mount align with the flyweel on the otherside. Then if you're lucky after a half dozen times, the planets align. Her's a BIG thumbs up to you Audi Engineering - NOT.
    Last edited by Bigglezworth; May 7th, 2017 at 19:01.
    '02 S6 Avant Silver - Pokey | Carbon Black/Ebony RS6 w/ stuff - darn quick | '03 Daytona Grey/Ebony RS6 w/ more stuff - quicker yet | '91 NSX CDN issue with 6spd & BBSC - quicker yet and then some | '87 Buick GNX OEM clone w/ lots of stuff - quickest hands down

Interesting.....I brought up other poor engineering issues, such as the location of the oil filter! The most frequent thing you're going to do is change the oil. So the filter should be easy to access. For example on BMW's it's a SNAP! It's ON TOP. LOL.

As far as the Transmission, clearly Audi wants you to always PULL the ENGINE! There was little thought put into making the car serviceable. For example the connections for the transmission are difficult to see never mind get at from below. And all the other wires are also connected to the top surface of the transmission, such as the Oxygen Sensor wires. Audi is kind of like Big Government. When they are 'servicing' the car they have unlimited money to take the time to pull then engine. And like Big Government, that money comes from your pocket.

I always am in awe to see Audi customers fixing their own cars with such complex procedure as you are doing. Good For you!

Mike
    '18 BMW M5, '19 Porsche Boxster GTS
    (prior '94 325is, '97 M3, '00 A6 4.2,'03 RS6,'08 A4 Cab,'13 A8L,'15 Q7,'16 BMW M2,

It seems I have not lived.

Big government = the entire NE. Good golly miss molly what a crazy place. NYC we just got back from a trip

1st and last time for this ol Wild Wild West gunslinger. I have no idea how you folks deal with that congestion.

Give me AZ and the southwest. Hell I won't even complain about the illegals any longer. At least not this week.

If I wanted an easy car to service? I would be driving that Kia Rio again. Lol

Quote Originally Posted by Aronis View Post
    Interesting.....I brought up other poor engineering issues, such as the location of the oil filter! The most frequent thing you're going to do is change the oil. So the filter should be easy to access. For example on BMW's it's a SNAP! It's ON TOP. LOL.

As far as the Transmission, clearly Audi wants you to always PULL the ENGINE! There was little thought put into making the car serviceable. For example the connections for the transmission are difficult to see never mind get at from below. And all the other wires are also connected to the top surface of the transmission, such as the Oxygen Sensor wires. Audi is kind of like Big Government. When they are 'servicing' the car they have unlimited money to take the time to pull then engine. And like Big Government, that money comes from your pocket.

I always am in awe to see Audi customers fixing their own cars with such complex procedure as you are doing. Good For you!

Mike
    Last edited by DHall1; May 8th, 2017 at 07:07.

Dave
    Should have let me know... I could have shown you my car
    2003 Audi RS6 Daytona/Silver, 2012 Porsche 911 Turbo S, 2016 Golf R 6 MT, 2018 Porsche Macan GTS

Quote Originally Posted by ttboost View Post
    It seems I have not lived.
    It seems as though I'm at death's door then...
    2012 Q7 TDI S-Line - 2010 GTI - 2007 A3 3.2 S-Line - 2003 RS6
    2001 Honda S2000 - 1977 Honda CBR 750-F2 - 1965 GMC 1500 WideSide

Dang it!

i didn't really have any extra time with all the commitments but everyone wanted us to see NYC so we had one day to do it up. Subways, Battery park, Tower, Wall St, Time Square, 30rock to the deck and a nice dinner.

Everything was nice but give me my Rattlesnakes and desert mtn bike trails. Lol

Quote Originally Posted by Cmnair View Post
    Dave
    Should have let me know... I could have shown you my car

Can't fault you there at all...

Quote Originally Posted by DHall1 View Post
    Everything was nice but give me my Rattlesnakes and desert mtn bike trails. Lol
    2003 Audi RS6 Daytona/Silver, 2012 Porsche 911 Turbo S, 2016 Golf R 6 MT, 2018 Porsche Macan GTS