Thread: Portland Craigslist Finds

Portland Craigslist Finds

Looking for some feedback from the board on a couple gems I found on Portland craigslist.

First is a built 2003 C5 S6 that just popped up yesterday:
    https://portland.craigslist.org/clc/cto/6094322890.html

From some of the feedback on my "Merits of RS6 DD" thread, sounds like an Avant S6 may be a better fit for a family DD than the RS6 Beast.

The second is a stock RS6 out in the Tri-City area
    https://portland.craigslist.org/grg/cto/6085587136.html

I e-mailed the RS6 seller. He's the second owner, has receipts for a transmission replacement at 90k miles, and it has the stock DRC suspension.
    1962 Chevy C10 w/ 401 Buick Nailhead
    1955 Chrysler C300 w/ factory 331 Hemi
    1999 Infiniti I30..............One of these is not like the others.

After many years of driving 5 cyl turbo Avants (all manual trans) I bought the grey C5 S6 in my avatar. It was my first automatic. I missed the clutch pedal so much that I spoke with SteveKen about doing a transmission swap with my car. As it turns out he was getting ready to sell the black RS6 conversion which I purchased from him. I really didn't think I *needed* the twin turbo BCY but I recognized the effort and fit & finish that went into the swap. In my opinion the 6 speed makes more of a difference around town than the extra power. However the extra power is intoxicating. Oddly enough I have not driven a stock automatic RS6 or a six speed S6 for comparison. It may not be an issue if your wife has an SUV but as a daily driver I like the convenience of a station wagon that is fun-to-drive. I don't hate the automatic, sometimes I actually appreciate it.

Both of those cars look to be good candidates (based on the craigslist ads). I'd suggest driving each of them to see what kind of 'vibe' you get.
    '02 RS6 Avant conversion
    '03 S8 Avus
    '89 964

I like the looks of the RS6 vs the S6 Avant. S6 avant seems a bit more hacked up whereas the RS is stock and you can do what you want, plus the trans is taken care of (hopefully). Replace the DRC and you're good to go. Down the road convert to 6sp.
    AMD C5 RS6 6-speed swap, PSS9s, 4:1 Center Diff, 515/635 pump/meth tune - RS6/K04 Turbos
    AMD B5 S4 Laser Avant 6-speed, Stage 3///AMD C5 Allroad 6-speed swap///AMD B5 S4 3L Built with 770XR

That S6 is a lot of car for the money, especially if you want a 6-speed. I live pretty close to it, so let me know if you want another set of eyes if you check it out.

The owner of the RS6 sounds pretty desperate to sell, so might swing a good deal there too!

Quote Originally Posted by AMDRS6 View Post
    I like the looks of the RS6 vs the S6 Avant.
    I agree with your aesthetic.

Quote Originally Posted by GreggPDX View Post
    That S6 is a lot of car for the money, especially if you want a 6-speed. I live pretty close to it, so let me know if you want another set of eyes if you check it out.

The owner of the RS6 sounds pretty desperate to sell, so might swing a good deal there too!
    My thoughts exactly. I'm going to go drive the S6 this weekend since it has the advantage of being 3 hours closer than the RS6. If it passes my initial checkout, I may take you up on your offer to get another set of eyes on it.

If you are looking for the manual fun, the S6 might definitly be your ride. I prefer the RS6 motor wise of course and look wise, it seems more sorted out then the S6. I always loved the Avants, just did not have the RS6 Avant here, so no choice on th sedan for me. Good luck with your search and test drives!

The manual converted S6 left me wondering "where's the boost?" It needs a little more umph to make it interesting enough to look past the tired interior.

Quote Originally Posted by OneBayShop View Post
    The manual converted S6 left me wondering "where's the boost?" It needs a little more umph to make it interesting enough to look past the tired interior.
    Yep i hear ya on that one. My friend has an S6 Avant and despite the fact that the S6 is a great car, it just does not match up and feel the same at all, the RS6 is something else.

I've had two S6 Avants. The second I did a 6-Speed on a year and a half ago and for me it made all the difference in the world. The car was so much more fun to drive. That being said I always found myself wanting some more power. So I just finished a full conversion of that S6 Avant into an RS6 Avant. I went over board on the build, will be posting the build shortly, but OMG the power is incredible (Rah can speak to some of the build as he's seen some of the pictures). Anyway, don't underestimate the fun of the bi-Turbo with a 6-spd. Haven't looked at either of the cars you've mentioned, but if the RS6 seller seems more desperate that might be the better option. Get it, drive it, find an S6 shell, convert it, and part out what you don't use. I'm smiling everyday with mine.

Quote Originally Posted by IM954 View Post
    I've had two S6 Avants. The second I did a 6-Speed on a year and a half ago and for me it made all the difference in the world. The car was so much more fun to drive. That being said I always found myself wanting some more power. So I just finished a full conversion of that S6 Avant into an RS6 Avant. I went over board on the build, will be posting the build shortly, but OMG the power is incredible (Rah can speak to some of the build as he's seen some of the pictures). Anyway, don't underestimate the fun of the bi-Turbo with a 6-spd. Haven't looked at either of the cars you've mentioned, but if the RS6 seller seems more desperate that might be the better option. Get it, drive it, find an S6 shell, convert it, and part out what you don't use. I'm smiling everyday with mine.
    Can't wait to see the build thread. Sounds awesome.