Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: The Merits of an RS6 Daily Driver

Quote Originally Posted by OneBayShop View Post

I have a ~40 minute commute that is ~35 miles and has three hills to climb. Am I going to get under 15 mpg in an RS6 if I use it as a DD?
    OK, you "can" get 24.5mpg with an RS6 on the highway. Absolutely no boost and nothing over 60mph (which equals no fun).
    I averaged 24.5mpg from Redding, CA to Portland, OR along I-5 after getting a ticket just outside of Susanville, CA where he clocked me at 81 (I was slowing down from 100+), so I was butthurt and decided to go super slow.

The other question to ask is - why bother worrying about mpg?!?!? Its miles of smiles!
    SOLD - 03 RS6 Avus (905355)
    Current - 03 Toyota Tacoma 4x4 double cab - the YETI, lifted, winched, snorkeled, lockered, skidded, geared

I agree, shouldn't own an RS6 if you're worried about gas mileage.
    Last edited by AMDRS6; June 30th, 2017 at 01:43.
    AMD C5 RS6 6-speed swap, PSS9s, 4:1 Center Diff, 515/635 pump/meth tune - RS6/K04 Turbos
    AMD B5 S4 Laser Avant 6-speed, Stage 3///AMD C5 Allroad 6-speed swap///AMD B5 S4 3L Built with 770XR

Quote Originally Posted by AMDRS6 View Post
    I agree, shouldn't own an RS6 if you're worried about gas mileage.
    Or brakes and rotors and timing belt intervals...
    2012 Q7 TDI S-Line - 2010 GTI - 2007 A3 3.2 S-Line - 2003 RS6
    2001 Honda S2000 - 1977 Honda CBR 750-F2 - 1965 GMC 1500 WideSide

Oh yeah those too! ��
    AMD C5 RS6 6-speed swap, PSS9s, 4:1 Center Diff, 515/635 pump/meth tune - RS6/K04 Turbos
    AMD B5 S4 Laser Avant 6-speed, Stage 3///AMD C5 Allroad 6-speed swap///AMD B5 S4 3L Built with 770XR

Quote Originally Posted by OneBayShop View Post
    Am I going to get under 15 mpg in an RS6 if I use it as a DD?
    More than likely yes.... You simply can't own a car like this without getting on it (often). No matter how much you want to trickle along with the crowd, dollars to donuts you will want to do something more.... It's been said a number of times - you don't own an RS6 because you are concerned about gas mileage. It's not a "large" displacement engine no, but it can quickly violate your wallet by passing almost 200% more fuel through the engine in the same amount of time under full throttle and I know of NO one that owns one of these that isn't doing full throttle a number of times after each fill-up.
    '02 S6 Avant Silver - Pokey | Carbon Black/Ebony RS6 w/ stuff - darn quick | '03 Daytona Grey/Ebony RS6 w/ more stuff - quicker yet | '91 NSX CDN issue with 6spd & BBSC - quicker yet and then some | '87 Buick GNX OEM clone w/ lots of stuff - quickest hands down

Silly me, I figured that an RS6 with 6 speed would loaf on the highway and get great mileage (which is sort of true) but the statements above are correct. It sure is difficult to stay off the throttle. Turns out I get roughly the same mileage in the RS6 as I do in the ~stock S6 automatic in normal driving, mid-high teens in the city and low to mid 20s on the highway. Since I live in a city my daily driver is the S6 so as not to put the wear & tear on the RS. When I have the opportunity to go for a *drive*, I choose the RS6. Last Saturday our local chapter of the Audi Club did a "country drive" event. We stayed on two lane country roads, no highway or interstate. Our group also included a couple of modded B5 S4s, a B7 RS4 and a few newer model Audis. We drove "briskly" not balls out, had a great time. I burned a half a tank of gas, it was worth every penny.
    '02 RS6 Avant conversion
    '03 S8 Avus
    '89 964

If you're worried about fuel mileage $$ you should (unless you're just a total tree hugger type... not that there is anything wrong with that) by association be worried about maintenance $$$$ = don't buy a RS6 for DD. If you weren't one of the upper crust well heeled original owners in '03 who paid close to $100k and had cushy warranty with loaner car etc. for the 3-4 years they owned the car, until the next newest best thing came along, you better be a engineer level type car lover to own one of these cars, which includes a deep appreciation for what it is - which is inextricably strapped to going thru the pain (and joy) of keeping it alive. I'm no total RS6 expert on here like many others, but I've owned one for a pretty long while and have and had many many cars of all types and that is my 2 cents. Love it or leave it alone.