Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: The Merits of an RS6 Daily Driver

Quote Originally Posted by ZCD2.7T View Post
    Brakes are one issue, the other is heat-soak and "limp mode", which is very likely unless you have hugely upgraded cooling...

Still, it's fun for a few laps...
    Of the 100's of posts regarding track days never heard of this. Your car had issues. Driven the piss out of my car in hot weather and never experienced this. Brakes, now that's the biggest issue I hear about.
    Ace/Edge TC - Tozo Trans - MTM TCU - REVO/ME7 tune - Wagner IC's w/ Venair Hoses - Aux Radiator delete - Hotchkis Sways - Hawk HPS Pads - Koni Sport Struts - Scroll KO4 Turbos - Devil's Own WM - 421whp/452wtq on Mustang Dyno - http://www.audirssix.com

Quote Originally Posted by G2 View Post
    Appreciate the input and tip. Personal experience? Sounds like i better install this H20 kit after all. Perfect timing with the t-belt service WIP.

Also have IC fans and logic controllers to wire in. Mainly for low speed anti-heat soak in town or pre-cooling if running at the drag strip.

Hopefully leaving in the Aux rads. will also pay off...
    All the aux rads do is add to heatsoak, transfers heat to the charge air.
    2010 XC90 exec, winter machine (V8 of course)
    2004 RS6 official Canadian edition, Daytona grey, (best colour!), summer edition
    2011 Q7 TDI, general alrounder

Quote Originally Posted by lswing View Post
    Of the 100's of posts regarding track days never heard of this. Your car had issues. Driven the piss out of my car in hot weather and never experienced this. Brakes, now that's the biggest issue I hear about.
    Yep, and what you've heard/read is certainly more believable that what I've personally experienced... /sarcasm

Hot weather road driving is NOTHING compared to driving hard on a racetrack.

Quote Originally Posted by ZCD2.7T View Post
    Yep, and what you've heard/read is certainly more believable that what I've personally experienced... /sarcasm

Hot weather road driving is NOTHING compared to driving hard on a racetrack.
    Did you at least open the hood during any stoppage? Removal of belly pan too. Maybe running extra hot due to hot/lean tune? Still, heat soak gets reported, but full limp mode no. Maybe if above 90 degrees or 100 out...
    Ace/Edge TC - Tozo Trans - MTM TCU - REVO/ME7 tune - Wagner IC's w/ Venair Hoses - Aux Radiator delete - Hotchkis Sways - Hawk HPS Pads - Koni Sport Struts - Scroll KO4 Turbos - Devil's Own WM - 421whp/452wtq on Mustang Dyno - http://www.audirssix.com

Quote Originally Posted by fukinavit View Post
    All the aux rads do is add to heatsoak, transfers heat to the charge air.
    Unfortunately this car has so many areas that cause heatsoak. Wouldn't want to give up the reserve engine cooling. At least the aux rads are BEHIND the IC's.

From all the cooling problems I've seen and fixed, the ECT will easily run hot and most people don't know it. Then it's on the edge of Limp Mode to begin with.

However, mine experienced LM (new acronym?) one hot summer day after getting on the free. Cursed town driving. And a very long stop light. Car was gutless. After enough air (less hot) was ingested to help reduce IAT's it came back on line strong.

Plumbing in a water inj. kit as we speak. If time allows will get the extra fans mounted also.

Quote Originally Posted by lswing View Post
    Did you at least open the hood during any stoppage? Removal of belly pan too. Maybe running extra hot due to hot/lean tune? Still, heat soak gets reported, but full limp mode no. Maybe if above 90 degrees or 100 out...
    Of course, cool-down laps around the pit area, plus hood opened and engine running to keep the coolant circulating until temps drop some. Nothing removed from the car, no tune - all stock. Temps in the 60s. If you're driving hard, heat soak and then limp mode are very likely.

Quote Originally Posted by G2 View Post
    Unfortunately this car has so many areas that cause heatsoak. Wouldn't want to give up the reserve engine cooling. At least the aux rads are BEHIND the IC's.
    Unfortunately for the size of the aux rads they achieve nothing, and regardless of position they conduct heat into the intercooler due to the proximity. Lots of other areas for heatsoak for sure but those aux rads do not help.
    2010 XC90 exec, winter machine (V8 of course)
    2004 RS6 official Canadian edition, Daytona grey, (best colour!), summer edition
    2011 Q7 TDI, general alrounder

Crazy had some track experience...0

I experienced some heat soak (running Texas World Speedway in June will do it). However; rarely had full on limp mode unless something was wrong. The main issue as we all know is the spineless transmission.

210K miles rolled

Crazy at TWS...

210K miles rolled

Quote Originally Posted by MaxRS6 View Post
    ...full on limp mode unless something was wrong.
    I routinely went into full limp mode about ~15 minutes into a run session (midwest road circuits) in my bone stock RS 6, and, no, nothing was wrong with the car.
    '97 993TT, '14 E63 S-line, '17 GT-R and a couple of '12 Mini Cooper S Countryman ALL4s for the kids.

^We have different car behavior- Boost gauges verified I wasn't limping even after 20-25 minute sessions. I was running APR tune normally on 93 gas, mostly stock intercoolers (went to Wagners when the OEM coolers went south). A few times ran on 100 oct just for the fun of it. I probably just never pushed it hard enuff...;0

Running around CoTA- it was not the "hot" season. However; plenty of runs at WOT and never experienced full on limp mode during 3 separate track weekends.

210K miles rolled

Quote Originally Posted by MaxRS6 View Post
    ^We have different car behavior
    Nah, evidently, I was just quicker.
    '97 993TT, '14 E63 S-line, '17 GT-R and a couple of '12 Mini Cooper S Countryman ALL4s for the kids.

^hahahaha...;0

is that what she said...;0 j/k
    210K miles rolled

I'm resurrecting this old thread to ask a follow up question: gas mileage.

....I got my 1962 Chevy C10 back on the road after a rebuild of it's 1965 401 Buick Nailhead and did a video of my commute.

I have a ~40 minute commute that is ~35 miles and has three hills to climb. Am I going to get under 15 mpg in an RS6 if I use it as a DD?
    1962 Chevy C10 w/ 401 Buick Nailhead
    1955 Chrysler C300 w/ factory 331 Hemi
    1999 Infiniti I30..............One of these is not like the others.

Cruising on the highway I can easily get low to mid 20's mpg. Around town and while hooning I get considerably less.

4.2 liters is not a big engine. Unless you get on the gas very often it shouldn't be too bad. I have an AWD Saturn Vue with 3.5L that weighs almost as much and I can get nearly 30.

I drive from Issaquah to Ellensburg (sometimes Yakima) weekly and that's a few hills to say the least. All at 80-90 mph. My dummie gauge is at 18mpg. If you are light throttle you should do better than me.
    AMD C5 RS6 6-speed swap, PSS9s, 4:1 Center Diff, 515/635 pump/meth tune - RS6/K04 Turbos
    AMD B5 S4 Laser Avant 6-speed, Stage 3///AMD C5 Allroad 6-speed swap///AMD B5 S4 3L Built with 770XR