Thread: How to change EGT sensors....

How to change EGT sensors....

I googled and used the search on this forum. Can't find any info on what's involved to change the EGT sensors. On one Audi forum I found an older thread that someone with an S6 thought you had to drop the engine....I feel like that's a little much lol. Any link or info would be appreciated! Thanks!

Not sure but I just changed the printed circuit boards on mine and it fixed the problem. Much cheaper and easier if it solves the problem.

There's info on my website about the quick repair, not doing the whole change. Did you use "site:rs6.com egt sensors" for your search? Been discussed many times, but yes you will need some engine movement at least service position I believe. Just keep clearing the code until you really need to move the engine
    Ace/Edge TC - Tozo Trans - MTM TCU - REVO/ME7 tune - Wagner IC's w/ Venair Hoses - Aux Radiator delete - Hotchkis Sways - Hawk HPS Pads - Koni Sport Struts - Scroll KO4 Turbos - Devil's Own WM - 421whp/452wtq on Mustang Dyno - http://www.audirssix.com

Quote Originally Posted by lswing View Post
    There's info on my website about the quick repair, not doing the whole change. Did you use "site:rs6.com egt sensors" for your search? Been discussed many times, but yes you will need some engine movement at least service position I believe. Just keep clearing the code until you really need to move the engine

Your website was was the first site google showed! Didn't see a full "how to" tho.

I screenshotted how to search using the "site:rs6" thing. Keep forgetting how to do it. Thanks
    2003 RS6//Fully Adjustable Suspension//VIPER ECU&TCU//Daytona Gray-Black
    Fully straight piped from the turbos to tips!
    Apikol Intake and D.O. Dual Nozzle Stage 2 Meth Kit

If the fix don't work just use the money to tune them out.
    BB GT28's w/ Tial Wastegates, Full 3" Open Exhaust, Wagners, Billet Triple Disk Converter, Built Trans, Exedy Friction Disks, ECU/TCU Tuned, 450/AEM400/1000cc/AFPR, E85, R8 Coils, Nubcake Tuned. Fastest RS6 in the USA :)

The re-solder trick worked for me. If the actual part gives up the ghost it is unlikely to be the wire that goes into the exhaust but the circuit board. You can buy new ones (they are not cheap) and just cut off the large wire and attach OUTSIDE the box and that way avoid damaging the circuit inside. There are just two conductors. The probe in the exhaust is unlikely to ever actually fail.

Mike
    '18 BMW M5, '19 Porsche Boxster GTS
    (prior '94 325is, '97 M3, '00 A6 4.2,'03 RS6,'08 A4 Cab,'13 A8L,'15 Q7,'16 BMW M2,

My two EGT boards were under $80 shipped. Fixed my problem and took 30 minutes to do both.

Quote Originally Posted by UrS6 View Post
    My two EGT boards were under $80 shipped. Fixed my problem and took 30 minutes to do both.
    that's much better, can you give part numbers and source? I thought they were 300 or so each when I looked.
    (prior '94 325is, '97 M3, '00 A6 4.2,'03 RS6,'08 A4 Cab,'13 A8L,'15 Q7,'16 BMW M2,

This is what I based my recollections on! LOL $570 for pair. My plan was to buy this and just splice it in leaving the sensor lead in place. It's just two conducts, nothing special, thermal conductor thermometer. Either solder directly to the board or just splice outside the box should be fine. But I like your Circuit board price better

Mike

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	EGT.jpg 
Views:	187 
Size:	82.8 KB 
ID:	17958

http://nefariousmotorsports.com/foru...p?topic=4302.0

Here's a link. They're not OE but I did one of mine a couple years ago and another one more recently. For the money and the ease I'm more than happy.

So that thread appears to reference non-RS6 EGTs, which to the best of my knowledge are different. Does the same guy make RS6 PCB boards as well? If so, I'll be ordering a pair for good measure.
    RS6 #1, 01E, 2.5" straight pipes, AMD Stage 1 6MT tune, 460awhp/530awtq on AMD's Mustang dyno. TOTALLED.. RS6 #2, Ebony Black Pearl on black/silver combination with carbon, up and running with 6 gears and AMD tune.

I've heard the B5 S4 sensors are the same, just that the RS6 cables are a little longer. I've seen them side by side and other than the length they look identical.
    2003 White RS6 2013 Midnight Blue S5
    2013 Daytona RS5 2x944 Turbo's 1974 911 w/'91 3.6ltr motor
    Roy, WA

Quote Originally Posted by hahnmgh63 View Post
    I've heard the B5 S4 sensors are the same, just that the RS6 cables are a little longer. I've seen them side by side and other than the length they look identical.
    No.
    RS6 are wideband, 2.7T are narrowband.
    Not a direct replacement unless you change the ECU code.

So that would leave us to believe the boards are different?
    2003 White RS6 2013 Midnight Blue S5
    2013 Daytona RS5 2x944 Turbo's 1974 911 w/'91 3.6ltr motor
    Roy, WA

Quote Originally Posted by hahnmgh63 View Post
    So that would leave us to believe the boards are different?
    I believe so - since the board is responsible for sensor range.

Urs6, did you order the boards from that link, and install them in your RS6? If so, can you confirm they now work properly? Did you specifically request RS6 EGT boards? Or..?
    RS6 #1, 01E, 2.5" straight pipes, AMD Stage 1 6MT tune, 460awhp/530awtq on AMD's Mustang dyno. TOTALLED.. RS6 #2, Ebony Black Pearl on black/silver combination with carbon, up and running with 6 gears and AMD tune.

Quote Originally Posted by P1054 View Post
    Urs6, did you order the boards from that link, and install them in your RS6? If so, can you confirm they now work properly? Did you specifically request RS6 EGT boards? Or..?
    I emailed him. He had specific ones for the RS6 that were not listed on his website. I put them in months ago and they work perfectly.