Thread: C5 RS6 Avants Legal to import?!

Hybrid View

C5 RS6 Avants Legal to import?!

Came across this Document when searching some RS6 files. I have been told countless times that a C5 RS6 avant cannot be imported into the States
    - https://www.federalregister.gov/docu...or-importation
    TLDR -
    Final Decision

Accordingly, on the basis of the foregoing, NHTSA decided that 2003 Audi RS6 and RS6 Avant passenger cars that were not originally manufactured to comply with all applicable FMVSS, are substantially similar to 2003 Audi RS6 and RS6 Avant passenger cars originally manufactured for importation into and sale in the United States and certified under 49 U.S.C. 30115, and are capable of being readily altered to conform to all applicable FMVSS.
    03 RS6 Misano Red / Ebony - #905040 - In for the shit show

Any description what needs to be altered ?
    In Canada it usually states in Transport Canada regulation, that Audi has to supply the information.
    When actually asked Audi Canada can only check VIN #s, and comes up blank because these are European Vin's.
    Supposedly Ingolstadt direct has the info !
    Let me know how You make out, as this has implication also for Canada.

Quote Originally Posted by eurovintage View Post
    Any description what needs to be altered ?
    In Canada it usually states in Transport Canada regulation, that Audi has to supply the information.
    When actually asked Audi Canada can only check VIN #s, and comes up blank because these are European Vin's.
    Supposedly Ingolstadt direct has the info !
    Let me know how You make out, as this has implication also for Canada.
    The description of the work needed is in the link that the original poster put up. It would require that many things be brought up to FMVSS standards which would include getting rid of the Recaro seats and putting in US model seats. This is not something that you can do yourself. This has to be done by a registered importer in the US. If I'm correct the law in Canada states that after 15 years you can bring Any car in. That means in January you would be able to import this car.

Most likely needs to be imported through a registered importer. The RI will need to do all the work and submit the paperwork. It's not going to be cheap.

This shows it was approved back in 2004 so I am surprised that no one has gone through and done this considering the limited amount of items that need to be adjusted to meet FMVSS Standards

One poor guy bought one, shipped it over, then got handed the $25k estimate to make stock mods to meet US spec standards...he shipped it back. You'll see with searching that Canada has a 15 year law on imports and a few folks are already prepping for 2018.

Many stories and threads over the years, Google search, "site:rs6.com import avant"

Edit, if you really want one just do the RS6 to S6 Avant swap over, probably 10+ in the US now, lots of info out there.
    Ace/Edge TC - Tozo Trans - MTM TCU - REVO/ME7 tune - Wagner IC's w/ Venair Hoses - Aux Radiator delete - Hotchkis Sways - Hawk HPS Pads - Koni Sport Struts - Scroll KO4 Turbos - Devil's Own WM - 421whp/452wtq on Mustang Dyno - http://www.audirssix.com

Quote Originally Posted by lswing View Post
    One poor guy bought one, shipped it over, then got handed the $25k estimate to make stock mods to meet US spec standards...he shipped it back. You'll see with searching that Canada has a 15 year law on imports and a few folks are already prepping for 2018.

Many stories and threads over the years, Google search, "site:rs6.com import avant"

Edit, if you really want one just do the RS6 to S6 Avant swap over, probably 10+ in the US now, lots of info out there.
    Folks,

ive been there. Having imported three BMW's in the early 2000's, I have a great relationship with one of the top RI's in the country.

The very detailed quote for doing the RS6 correctly was 48k on top of the purchase price of the car. It's the only reason I built my RS6 instead of importing one.

It has to do so with the fuel delivery system used in the European cars. It all has to be converted to the US spec version. So to import an Avant, you need pieces from both the S6 avant and from the RS6 US spec sedan. Believe me, I have been here.

Stephen

15 yrs from DOM for us here in Canada. Currently looking at a few 2002 Avant's as they start to qualify for import as of May this year.....
    '02 S6 Avant Silver - Pokey | Carbon Black/Ebony RS6 w/ stuff - darn quick | '03 Daytona Grey/Ebony RS6 w/ more stuff - quicker yet | '91 NSX CDN issue with 6spd & BBSC - quicker yet and then some | '87 Buick GNX OEM clone w/ lots of stuff - quickest hands down

In Canada 15 Years; from date of manufacture. Not sure when the first ones were manufactured.
    Or did they advise You that May would be the earliest in any case ? Keep in mind that Yo have to pay in Euros,
    freight taxes, duties on top !

Quote Originally Posted by eurovintage View Post
    In Canada 15 Years; from date of manufacture. Not sure when the first ones were manufactured.
    Or did they advise You that May would be the earliest in any case ? Keep in mind that Yo have to pay in Euros, freight taxes, duties on top !
    15 yrs from DOM yes. I said May, but really it's July 1st as the 2002-04 cars were mfg from 06/02 - 09/04. Well aware of the costs and how to do things as I've imported all three of the RS6's I've had here. There are other options for purchase points that don't involve Euro's. Pound, Yen as an example.
    '02 S6 Avant Silver - Pokey | Carbon Black/Ebony RS6 w/ stuff - darn quick | '03 Daytona Grey/Ebony RS6 w/ more stuff - quicker yet | '91 NSX CDN issue with 6spd & BBSC - quicker yet and then some | '87 Buick GNX OEM clone w/ lots of stuff - quickest hands down

Currently the US Dollar is almost the strongest it has been against the Dollar. Bought some equipment back in Leeds England and was tempted to bring over a RS6 but will wait till the C6 are at 15year. Thats the car I had a chance to drive in Germany and what started my Audi love affair

Current: Black Pearl Metallic Effect/Ebony, RNS-E, Euro + pedals, oCarbon, Hotchkiss Front & Rear Sway Bars, Koni Yellow's

Quote Originally Posted by nistah View Post
    Ya, I saw that also. I guess if you have a spare 150K laying around..... I personally don't, so I'm more than content with a 15yr old C5 Avant.

The process of importing a 15 year old (or older) is dead simple in Canada, I've done it several times most recently with a Quattro Coupe (eS2)... Go online, make sure you have the paperwork filled out for an RIV exempt vehicle, present it at customs, pay your GST and off you go. Then a vehicle inspection and your done - biggest challenge is your shipping if bringing something in by container (which is also quite affordable and easy online)...