Thread: Coolant question

Coolant question

Problem is, when coolant level in expansion tank is at full mark radiator starts to leak between plastic tank and core, when coolant is lower than minimum mark with no warning light coolant leak stops. Did some one experience same problem?
    Or I need new expansion tank cap?

Andriy

Sounds like you need a new tank, they're cheap. Even if the level is lower than the seam you may not be leaking Coolant but you will be leaking pressure which keeps the boiling point down. And it will only get worse. I threw in a new one a few months ago as a preventative measure as I've seen a lot of plastic Coolant tanks go bad with age, Japanese, German, Italian, they all go bad with heat cycles and age.
    2003 White RS6 2013 Midnight Blue S5
    2013 Daytona RS5 2x944 Turbo's 1974 911 w/'91 3.6ltr motor
    Roy, WA

Thank you for reply. But that is not the problem.
    i change expansion tank but left old cap, and leak from radiator where plastic connects with aluminum core on passenger side

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	68 
Size:	26.8 KB 
ID:	17941

In my opinion there are tree possible problems, 1 high coolant pressure (low coolant no leak), 2 bad reservoir cap (not releasing pressure ), 3 o-ring between plastic and aluminum core ( means new radiator needed)
    Any thoughts?

Andriy