Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Weight is the Enemy

Actually I need a winter and good driver, as my SHO is getting on,
    have enough light cars,
    actually also building 2 more

If you haven't found a car yet, this is my old 6spd car...

http://www.mjluxurycars.com/2003_Aud...NY_6208213.veh

Quote Originally Posted by Cmnair View Post
    I am not sure if this is the car to go for if you are looking for light car/high HP. No offense but I don't see the point.
    Ditto. This car isn't a track star - although it can be fun every now and then. This is a highway bruiser and fun around town. Leave your Nobel for the track. You can waste a host of $$ trying to eek out 300-400lbs to make this a 2 ton ride. It will never be a 3200 car. It was never meant to be. It has a lot of aluminum components to aid in reducing weight (front end especially), but it will always be an AWD car with 3 differentials, 4 axles, massive brakes for stopping from high speeds, lots of sound dampening, a crap load of electronics, and creature comforts to boot. I have fast (light) cars. Didn't feel it necessary to do that to the RS. Just my $0.02.
    '02 S6 Avant Silver - Pokey | Carbon Black/Ebony RS6 w/ stuff - darn quick | '03 Daytona Grey/Ebony RS6 w/ more stuff - quicker yet | '91 NSX CDN issue with 6spd & BBSC - quicker yet and then some | '87 Buick GNX OEM clone w/ lots of stuff - quickest hands down

Thanks everybody for the input. I always explore the possibilities, in this case anything which is easy and has been done,
    including improvement mods. Every car has its strength and weaknesses. Not looking for tracking, although I might do
    a test run at a track, as this will bring out any issues. Have been racing as an amateur since 1987, in vintage.
    Some weight reduction is always good even for road cars, side effect is also better gas mileage.
    The manual transmission seems to help in both ways. Drove the new Giulia Ti yesterday, feels very toss-able around 3000 lbs,
    just a little bit small, also ingress for tall people like me is not perfect. As with most new cars, too many Nannies and electronics.

Quote Originally Posted by eurovintage View Post
    Some weight reduction is always good even for road cars, side effect is also better gas mileage.
    Funny quote. If you own an RS6, the last thing on your mind is gas mileage. It can consume gas faster than a fat kid can consume a Smartie....

Lots of quality rides out there and many of them in good order.
    '02 S6 Avant Silver - Pokey | Carbon Black/Ebony RS6 w/ stuff - darn quick | '03 Daytona Grey/Ebony RS6 w/ more stuff - quicker yet | '91 NSX CDN issue with 6spd & BBSC - quicker yet and then some | '87 Buick GNX OEM clone w/ lots of stuff - quickest hands down

Unfortunately in B.C. we have $1.58/Liter for 91, PST (Provincial sales tax), not to mention Cost of Living considerable (Real Estate etc.).
    Of course handling improvement iincl. better stopping is the most important benefit for reduced weight.
    Used to live in AB, had its charms, but so has the coast.

Have to agree, the time and effort to reduce weight there are so many other options - no one has mentioned spare tire - but then you'll need a plan for flats, I think they used lead in that thing.

Yea, other than those items I mentioned in my threads above I will not bother with anything else. All of those things improved the car, anything further and I think you will start taking away from a great Grand Tourer.
    2003 White RS6 2013 Midnight Blue S5
    2013 Daytona RS5 2x944 Turbo's 1974 911 w/'91 3.6ltr motor
    Roy, WA

Sounds to me what you really want is a 2010+ S4. Similar power with much less weight and sharper handling, albeit still a heavy car. The RS6 is a 4,100lb land yacht and not much you can do about it without making sacrifices. Biggest improvements would be forged wheels, 2pc brake rotors, deleting secondary radiators (if Canadian models even have them), dry cell battery, perhaps a pair of manual Recaro reclining seats. I think nearly everything else would compromise the essence of the car, which is to be a fast, comfortable, reasonably good-handling super saloon.
    2017 Subaru BRZ Limited w/ Performance Pack 6MT
    2003 Audi RS 6 quattro 5AT - sold

Lighter wheels, stock battery is 90lbs vs 30lbs performance battery, remove spare tire and gear, remove auxiliary radiators...drive with 1/4 tank gas I get 13mpg around town, 18-20 mpg highway, been that way for 5 years now...
    Ace/Edge TC - Tozo Trans - MTM TCU - REVO/ME7 tune - Wagner IC's w/ Venair Hoses - Aux Radiator delete - Hotchkis Sways - Hawk HPS Pads - Koni Sport Struts - Scroll KO4 Turbos - Devil's Own WM - 421whp/452wtq on Mustang Dyno - http://www.audirssix.com

A few weight reduction mods and you're right around supra weight
    BB GT28's w/ Tial Wastegates, Full 3" Open Exhaust, Wagners, Billet Triple Disk Converter, Built Trans, Exedy Friction Disks, ECU/TCU Tuned, 450/AEM400/1000cc/AFPR, E85, R8 Coils, Nubcake Tuned. Fastest RS6 in the USA :)

Turbowned, I've also got a 2012 S4 with software and Supercharger pulley for somewhere claimed of over 400bhp (333bhp stock). It weights 3900lbs, my RS6 with the lightweight items above is about 4050 with 1/2 tank of fuel. The S4 would just about match the 0 to 60 but after that the RS6 would pull away easily. I would say with the light wheels and KWV3's the RS6 would match it for steering and handling too, a slightly better weight distribution in the S4, and it is slight after removing the Aux radiators from the front. The S4 with S-tronic is a great daily driver though. And I do like the S-tronic although not as good as Porsche's PDK, and not as reliable as Porsche's PDK to be sure.
    Roy, WA

B8 / B8.5 S4 + the full APR package doesn't sound too bad to me.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	30tfsi_b8_s4_dsg_s0_vs_s2+_ultra_93_cc.jpg 
Views:	124 
Size:	97.6 KB 
ID:	17949

Quote Originally Posted by Bigglezworth View Post
    Funny quote. If you own an RS6, the last thing on your mind is gas mileage. It can consume gas faster than a fat kid can consume a Smartie....

Lots of quality rides out there and many of them in good order.
    I was dying when reading this, it is so true when it comes to gas mileage and those cars. Good fuel consumption and those cars do not mix well. Reading thru the whole post and for the fact that you love building cars, a MK2 shell paired with the quattro system is a pretty cool car in my opinion, combining lower weight, more power to the ground and quattro of course. That would also depend on the motor really

Even so not many cars compare to the RS6, if you are looking for more of a winter car with good performance and decent gas mileage, why not look into other all wheel drive VAG cars, like the golf R, R32 (even so the gas mileage is not good on those either), 1.8T Audis etc? The 1.8T can be built pretty good also. Just wondering.

Talking about weight reduction on all four corners with wheels, isn't the smallest wheel possibility with the RS6 18s due to the brakes?

Quote Originally Posted by hahnmgh63 View Post
    Turbowned, I've also got a 2012 S4 with software and Supercharger pulley for somewhere claimed of over 400bhp (333bhp stock). It weights 3900lbs, my RS6 with the lightweight items above is about 4050 with 1/2 tank of fuel. The S4 would just about match the 0 to 60 but after that the RS6 would pull away easily. I would say with the light wheels and KWV3's the RS6 would match it for steering and handling too, a slightly better weight distribution in the S4, and it is slight after removing the Aux radiators from the front. The S4 with S-tronic is a great daily driver though. And I do like the S-tronic although not as good as Porsche's PDK, and not as reliable as Porsche's PDK to be sure.
    I would love to meet you and see that car of yours one of these days if you are up to it.

I'm in for it rah. I tend to be out of town a bit but I can always find a day here or there.
    mrdave, you are right about the stage 2+ APR, I have the Stage 2 and it is almost a match but the 2+ is all in for an extra $1600 ($3500) and I am worried about the S-tronic. It is a great transmission but they have had their problems. I do the frequent oil & filter changes (sounds like an 5HP24 doesn't it). They don't sell rebuilt S-tronics and they are about $7k to $8k to replace, not counting labor.
    Roy, WA

Hi TT,
    Sent You PM

So, I just have to comment on the rotating mass thing...wheels. I crunched the numbers a while back, and the rotation (modeling simply as a disc) is a 50% increase. IE, 60 pounds off your wheels gives you a 90 pound advantage (real world for these OE wheels and what you can buy at a decent price). Granted a disc isn't exact, but in the ballpark.

I'm not a fan of sunroofs, and can loose 30 pounds off the roof with a carbon filler. I used a thin layer of fiberglass to replace the interior slider as well.

52 pounds using a lithium battery. Don't use in cold climates. However, I've been down to 22 degrees without issues. CCA is simply poor for lithium. I have one the size of a cigarette pack on my snowmobile.

5 mph crash bars, headlight washers, and fog lights...35-40 pounds! Front and rear (together).

Side coolers...discussed. I figured 15-20.

Floor mats 16 pounds.

Exhaust, around 15 pounds replacing the mufflers with small resonators.

The rest, not for the faint of heart. Weight bias well, again overrated in my book. I'm about 65/35, and I'm the Audi at the track with neutral steer. Overloaded hot tires are one thing that can be helped by taking mass off anywhere on the pig, uh, I mean beast

Somewhere south of 3800 pounds with a third tank. It's been a couple of projects since I weighed her. I came up with 4300 on my initial weigh in.