Thread: RS6 Coolant Fan runs Constantly when engine on.

RS6 Coolant Fan runs Constantly when engine on.

Just purchased a 2003 RS6 and I noticed tha large coolant fan runs all the time while the engine is on regardless if it's cold start or not. The small A/C fan, as far as I can see does not run. Any help on what could be the most likely cause would be great. After some research I learned there is a Fan control module on the back of the large coolant fan. May be that's bad? Thanks in advance

First, clear all ECU codes, even if you don't have a check engine light on. If it still acts up, I'd say try a coolant temp sensor next. It could also be a thermostat or control module.

Lots more info here: http://www.rs6.com/showthread.php/23...eems-possessed

And here: http://www.rs6.com/showthread.php/22...After-Run-Fans

You can search this site by going to google and searching for: "site:rs6.com fan problem"

Codes, need those codes as stated. Get RossTech VCDS, scan, report. Clear and then scan once CEL comes back on I should say as mrdave mentioned.
    Ace/Edge TC - Tozo Trans - MTM TCU - REVO/ME7 tune - Wagner IC's w/ Venair Hoses - Aux Radiator delete - Hotchkis Sways - Hawk HPS Pads - Koni Sport Struts - Scroll KO4 Turbos - Devil's Own WM - 421whp/452wtq on Mustang Dyno - http://www.audirssix.com

I had a chance to drive the car after doing the CAm Chain Tensioner and powersteering pump. I drove it around 70miles. After getting back home I still smelled a faint odor of coolant. Now I'm thinking this coolant leak is related to the fan running condition. When I looked under the car I could see consistent drips from the crossmember area. Oil cooler pipe? Then to my horror I also see a oil leak from the same areA. Either diff fluid or rear main seal? But the leak is more than a few drops. It's puddling. So now to make a decision. Pull the motor and replace the oil cooler pipe. Along with the rear main seal and oil pan gasket. If it was just the oil cooler pipe I would attempt in car but with the reaR main seal I'm learning towards pulling it. Any help appreciated

i purchased a cheap vagcom cable of eBay but it won't connect to the car. Junk I guess. I do have a obd2 scanner but I don't think it will tell me what I need

Quick update, the fan condition is related to a coolant leak under the intake manifold. Also the a/c condenser fan is bad. I'll change both and confirm.