Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Have we seen the best of Audi?

Was just at the factory for a tour a few weeks ago and I would say for at least ROW they are not "has beens". Audi is in it full steam. Gonna try for a Quattro GMBh tour in May but not sure if they give tours also. A lot of technology being used at the factory and a lot of attention to detail. Now, as far as N.A. goes, they will/may scale back here a bit, VAG as a whole except probably Porsche as they have the highest profit ratio right now.
    Last edited by hahnmgh63; March 10th, 2017 at 15:43.
    2003 White RS6 2013 Midnight Blue S5
    2013 Daytona RS5 2x944 Turbo's 1974 911 w/'91 3.6ltr motor
    Roy, WA

It would be nice if they would bring more product stateside... But as long as they don't stop making 5 cylinder and V8's... We only have to wait 15 years to import into Canada... I like Kool aid, but on my terms.

Interesting to note ROW to NA.

My finger has been pointed at AoA specifically for market decisions on US vehicles for my needs.

I tried the SQ5 as a Avant substitute and it just fails for me. That platform is cheap feeling and not well sorted from a product design perspective. There are many flaws in driving characteristics of the SQ5.

I have nothing against the S6, S7, S8 sedans but really I have mint RS6s that pretty much take that space. Two of my RS6s have been with me forever and kool aid or not the RS6 is a quality driving experience to this day.

So for my vehicle needs the current Audi's in NA are lacking and some have poorly engineered driving characteristics. Thus my topic at hand.

Quote Originally Posted by hahnmgh63 View Post
    Was just at the factory for a tour a few weeks ago and I would say for at least ROW they are not "has beens". Audi is in it full steam. Gonna try for a Quattro GMBh tour in May but not sure if they give tours also. A lot of technology being used at the factory and a lot of attention to detail. Now, as far as N.A. goes, they will/may scale back here a bit, VAG as a whole except probably Porsche as they have the highest profit ratio right now.

If all I cared about was brute speed and lap times a GTR would be in the garage.

I dont know know if I can own any 2.9L vehicle. RS5 or Alfa

Quote Originally Posted by DHall1 View Post
    ...I tried the SQ5 as a Avant substitute and it just fails for me. That platform is cheap feeling and not well sorted from a product design perspective. There are many flaws in driving characteristics of the SQ5...
    Please expand on these points a bit, if you don't mind.

We we also own a Q5 (TDi) and to us, it feels extremely well put together and well judged from a design perspective...

Talking

If all I cared about was brute speed and lap times a GTR would be in the garage.

I dont know know if I can own any 2.9L vehicle. RS5 or Alfa
    F40 was a 2.9l engine
    2003 Audi RS6 Daytona/Silver, 2012 Porsche 911 Turbo S, 2016 Golf R 6 MT, 2018 Porsche Macan GTS

So for my vehicle needs the current Audi's in NA are lacking and some have poorly engineered driving characteristics. Thus my topic at hand.
    I get what you are saying... these newer cars are packed with technology and performance but there seems to be something missing.. level of involvement maybe? The RS6 was considered to have numb steering compared to the E39 M5 when it first came out, but a recent article I saw had favorable reviews of the RS6 hydraulic steering compared to the modern electric steering systems.
    2003 Audi RS6 Daytona/Silver, 2012 Porsche 911 Turbo S, 2016 Golf R 6 MT, 2018 Porsche Macan GTS

Unfortunately the trend is not driver friendly for active drivers, and is actually unsafe, just for the reason because people expect the car now to correct
    them in all situations ! Which leads to even less attention on the road. My Noble M 400 has no Nannies (not even ABS) and only power assist steering.
    Had chance to drive the Mc Laren and the 911 S (last model before turbo motors) and they both feel numb in comparison and way less fun.
    Also the possibility of things going wrong are endless. Not that I am against technology in general, just not needed everywhere.
    Good idea would be to replace all those cables with optic fiber, as the Volvo S 80 did. Saved 100 kg !
    Ivan
    2007 Noble M 400, 1958 Austin Healy BN6, 1994 Ford Taurus SHO 5 spd. manual (has ABS)

Quote Originally Posted by Cmnair View Post
    I get what you are saying... these newer cars are packed with technology and performance but there seems to be something missing.. level of involvement maybe? The RS6 was considered to have numb steering compared to the E39 M5 when it first came out, but a recent article I saw had favorable reviews of the RS6 hydraulic steering compared to the modern electric steering systems.
    The market is a bit depressing. The more I earn the less there is to spend it on. Very little moves me that doesn't push 6 figures and that's a used value. I recently test drove an S7 after reading about how receptive it is to tuning. It was a 2014 and it's an awful lot of car for the $50K asking but it did not stir my soul. The RS7 stirs my soul but it's out of my price range. Porsche moves me but the ones I can afford either have no or little warranty remaining and that scares me. And there are a bunch of new car enthusiasts clamoring for the P85 Tesla which tells me people are caring less and less about the driving experience. At least Porsche is bringing back a real 6 speed in the 911 Turbo GT3 which I'll never afford. Lately I've been rationalizing having an older mechanical German daily driver and a weekend only exotic.

Lexus has a new commercial talking about autonomous driving and suggesting that you should enjoy driving while you can!

It would be nice to see more of the products from ROW available in NAM...

Want is ROW?

Mike
    '18 BMW M5, '19 Porsche Boxster GTS
    (prior '94 325is, '97 M3, '00 A6 4.2,'03 RS6,'08 A4 Cab,'13 A8L,'15 Q7,'16 BMW M2,

Sorry... rest of the world

Yea Mike, ROW is how most auto manufacturers call there cars that are not sold in N. America. There are some that are also specific to Japan, China, etc.. but no manufacturer runs through hoops and messes with their original cars as the N. American model, but of course it's a huge market so they do it.
    2003 White RS6 2013 Midnight Blue S5
    2013 Daytona RS5 2x944 Turbo's 1974 911 w/'91 3.6ltr motor
    Roy, WA

Unfortunately the more we buy China products the bigger that market becomes for the big 3 German car makers.

China makes the US look like a third world market to Audi.

Quote Originally Posted by paperchase View Post
    The market is a bit depressing. The more I earn the less there is to spend it on. Very little moves me that doesn't push 6 figures and that's a used value. I recently test drove an S7 after reading about how receptive it is to tuning. It was a 2014 and it's an awful lot of car for the $50K asking but it did not stir my soul. The RS7 stirs my soul but it's out of my price range. Porsche moves me but the ones I can afford either have no or little warranty remaining and that scares me. And there are a bunch of new car enthusiasts clamoring for the P85 Tesla which tells me people are caring less and less about the driving experience. At least Porsche is bringing back a real 6 speed in the 911 Turbo GT3 which I'll never afford. Lately I've been rationalizing having an older mechanical German daily driver and a weekend only exotic.
    Agreed...all the remotely desirable cars are way out of my price range. I went with the Golf R 6MT because it offered the best combination of involvement, power and usability for my DD needs (AWD was a requirement). I would have gone with an older car (perhaps a C4 S6 or even a nicely sorted B5 S4) but maintaining two older cars would not be reasonable for me at this stage of my life.

I was looking at the new S5, don't care for the hood design, but I'd have to see one in person.

Still would like an RS5.......

Mike
    '18 BMW M5, '19 Porsche Boxster GTS
    (prior '94 325is, '97 M3, '00 A6 4.2,'03 RS6,'08 A4 Cab,'13 A8L,'15 Q7,'16 BMW M2,

I have to agree with Dave on this one:

The current RS badging is, in my opinion, rather lackluster, boring, pedestrian, and soulless.
    The 03 RS6 and several versions of the RS4 were "a bomb arching in" yet subtle at the same time.

As DuckWingDuck once said "it is all of nothing" to which he explained that it isn't the fastest, the quickest, the lowest, the lightest, etc etc etc.
    With the RS6 being none of the above, I knew coming into ownership that it was exactly that and that is EXACTLY what I wanted.

The current quiver of Audi (minus the R8) are something like an 4 cylinder 1984 Ford Mustang: yeah its a Mustang and it looks decent; gutless motor, cheap shit interior, reused Pinto parts, craptastic 4 cylinder motor, possibly rebadged Fiesta, wont get out of its own way because of terrible power under hood/bonnet. Cars for the sheeple...

The A4 became the size of an A6.
    The A3 is now the new A4.
    The A5 is a fat wide slow pig.
    The S5 is a slightly faster turbo fat wide pig.
    The S6 is.... well.... awesome...

The RS6 is .... 14yo and still sweet!

The A7/S7/RS7 .... Please remove the designer from the gene pool... just because it's somewhat quick, doesn't been it has a soul.

Q3/5/7 .... yawn to the mall crawlers... There once was a V12 diesel twin turbo... never to be seen in the USA

I know the EXACT CASA person GRANDE to get in contact with if I ever get the bug again...
    SOLD - 03 RS6 Avus (905355)
    Current - 03 Toyota Tacoma 4x4 double cab - the YETI, lifted, winched, snorkeled, lockered, skidded, geared

^^ Ben...We moved to the big city of Mesa. North side....5 minutes riding to some of the best Mtn bike trails in the valley.

:-)

6+car garage w parking for the motorhome and car trailer in city limits w no HOA. Ask me how I pulled that off. Ha

I guess AoA has less to offer as you move up the model lines. I like the S6 but it's too much like the RS6s that I already have. AoA is content selling xxx A3s, A4s, Q5s and the lower model S versions of the same. How is that exciting? Q5s now made in Mexico? I'm clearly not buying any Audi made in Mexico. Period

So does Audi lose this loyal customer to AMG because the E63 wagon is still out there? Or do I go ahead and convert my own C5 RS6 Avant? I have the donor car ready to go. Do I import a C5 RS6 to Canada and pay someone to drive it across the border?

If we don't plug into the S6, S7, S8.....which are all very similar....then AoA really has nothing of quality for the US consumer. Why choose 3 S model high line sedans and not offer even one Avant? Blooming idiots and the NA market manager should be shot.

Toyota lost me 20 yrs ago when they dropped the Supra twin turbo then there were a few years of SC400 and LS400s before the Audi's. Now at that fork in the road again.
    Last edited by DHall1; March 14th, 2017 at 05:12.