Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: quarter size oil spot on garage floor...

quarter size oil spot on garage floor...

Hello all,

I guess i should of posted earlier about my 2003 RS6 when i first started lurking around this site a few month back, but i guess i will start with a problem, hopefully minor. I picked up my RS6 last September and i love this car. It has 82,000 miles on the clock, and everything needed done on the car was completed right before i picked it up, including timing belt replacement just to name a main one, every receipts included. I do not drive this car daily.

I noticed a quarter size oil drop on the garage floor, driver side, front of the engine. this is the second time it has happened. I removed the covers and did a visual inspection from where it could be and could not see anything anywhere. Obviously, i am sure i can't see everywhere and could be missing it, any ideas from anyone? anyone ever dealt with that? The interesting part is that when the car just sits in the garage for a week or two, no sign of oil anywhere, but when i use it for a day or two and park it, that's when it occurs.

It could be nothing much at all but i would like to address it ahead of a possible bigger issue.

Thanks for your time!

Belly pan present?

What kind of oil - engine, power steering, transmission? Connections for all of those are present in the left front of the engine.
    03 RS6 Daytona Grey - EFI Express - 01e - SRM K24 - Aquamist - 495whp/580ft-lbs

you definitely have to address mdegracia's questions (on what type of oil) but my initial thought, if it is engine oil would be intercooler hose is not properly seated and the oil accumulation at that low point is leaking.
    RS6 #1 904959, Daytona, Silver, tons of "stuff," went through puddle, dead engine, end of #1 for me, rebuilt by local enthusiast and thriving.
    RS6 #2 904568, Avus, Ebony, no stuff, stock minus RNS-E.

rah, where do you live? I work in Tacoma area and live down Hwy7 by Eatonville.
    2003 White RS6 2013 Midnight Blue S5
    2013 Daytona RS5 2x944 Turbo's 1974 911 w/'91 3.6ltr motor
    Roy, WA

I've got the answer, Audi

But seriously, the auxiliary radiator lives there, one on other side too, and they like to corrode/crack/leak. Coolant should be red though. Also could be oil buildup in your intercoolers, and then leaking out.
    Ace/Edge TC - Tozo Trans - MTM TCU - REVO/ME7 tune - Wagner IC's w/ Venair Hoses - Aux Radiator delete - Hotchkis Sways - Hawk HPS Pads - Koni Sport Struts - Scroll KO4 Turbos - Devil's Own WM - 421whp/452wtq on Mustang Dyno - http://www.audirssix.com

A couple of years ago I poured a cap full of oil on the floor under my friends heavily modified Subaru WRX STI and gave him an oil leak, he freaked out....could be a joker messing with you....

JK.

Oil pain seal. Only one bolt is a bit of an issue, but otherwise easy to replace. Run your fingers over the areas on the engine (cold engine) and may be able to pin point the source. After spending 15k on an engine pull I wonder if I should have kept driving the thing and just add oil every week. LOL.

Mike
    '18 BMW M5, '19 Porsche Boxster GTS
    (prior '94 325is, '97 M3, '00 A6 4.2,'03 RS6,'08 A4 Cab,'13 A8L,'15 Q7,'16 BMW M2,

Only a quarter size? Sounds like you're well within factory spec!

Quote Originally Posted by mrdave View Post
    Bingo! Check often. Keep wallet closed tight.

Mike
    '18 BMW M5, '19 Porsche Boxster GTS
    (prior '94 325is, '97 M3, '00 A6 4.2,'03 RS6,'08 A4 Cab,'13 A8L,'15 Q7,'16 BMW M2,

Quote Originally Posted by rah View Post
    Hello all,

I guess i should of posted earlier about my 2003 RS6 when i first started lurking around this site a few month back, but i guess i will start with a problem, hopefully minor. I picked up my RS6 last September and i love this car. It has 82,000 miles on the clock, and everything needed done on the car was completed right before i picked it up, including timing belt replacement just to name a main one, every receipts included. I do not drive this car daily.

I noticed a quarter size oil drop on the garage floor, driver side, front of the engine. this is the second time it has happened. I removed the covers and did a visual inspection from where it could be and could not see anything anywhere. Obviously, i am sure i can't see everywhere and could be missing it, any ideas from anyone? anyone ever dealt with that? The interesting part is that when the car just sits in the garage for a week or two, no sign of oil anywhere, but when i use it for a day or two and park it, that's when it occurs.

It could be nothing much at all but i would like to address it ahead of a possible bigger issue.
    Thanks for your time!
    Impossible to diagnose via description above. This will require additional visual confirmation or 'taste' test. It's my observation that there are at least 5 items that could produce what you are possibly seeing:
    1. Engine oil leak from a valve cover, crank seal, or oil pan drain plug.
    2. Transmission oil leak from radiator cooler, or from front mount cooler/hoses.
    3. Power steering fluid leak from pump or resevoir.
    4. Engine oil leaking from lower intercooler hose, or from intercooler body.
    5. Coolant leak from radiator, water pump, or auxilary radiator coolers.

Any one of these items can produce a percieved leak as they can leak anywhere along the front of the engine bay, drip down on to the inspection cover, and then travel over to the low point where it drips out of a hole. We really need to see a top photo (engine side) of the inspection cover to help. Snap one and post it. Also, a 'taste' of the fluid will tell you whether or not it's engine oil, transmission gear fluid, power steering fluid, or coolant fluid. I realize this isn't for everyone, and someone who hasn't done it the past will likely not know how to differentiate, but the taste test is always bang on IMO.

That aside, a quarter size leak is peanuts. I currently have a leaking intercooler (due to failing turbo), leaking PS pump/resvoir/hose, leaking water pump, and leaking oil cooler..... Time to overhaul a bunch of things
    '02 S6 Avant Silver - Pokey | Carbon Black/Ebony RS6 w/ stuff - darn quick | '03 Daytona Grey/Ebony RS6 w/ more stuff - quicker yet | '91 NSX CDN issue with 6spd & BBSC - quicker yet and then some | '87 Buick GNX OEM clone w/ lots of stuff - quickest hands down

Quote Originally Posted by mdegracia View Post
    Belly pan present?

What kind of oil - engine, power steering, transmission? Connections for all of those are present in the left front of the engine.
    Ah sorry, i guess i should of specified, but from the feel and what i saw it seems to be motor oil. My belly pan is actually NOT present, that was the one thing that was not with the car and that i am still hunting for. I did clean it now and the car has not been driven yet again. I have the day off Friday and going on a drive, i will check again then to make sure.
    Last edited by rah; February 23rd, 2017 at 23:39.

Quote Originally Posted by Dmb408 View Post
    you definitely have to address mdegracia's questions (on what type of oil) but my initial thought, if it is engine oil would be intercooler hose is not properly seated and the oil accumulation at that low point is leaking.
    Thank you, i will check on that Friday, that's a good possibility for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by hahnmgh63 View Post
    rah, where do you live? I work in Tacoma area and live down Hwy7 by Eatonville.
    All right, a local RS6 owner! I am right up the hill from you on South Hill!

Quote Originally Posted by lswing View Post
    I've got the answer, Audi

But seriously, the auxiliary radiator lives there, one on other side too, and they like to corrode/crack/leak. Coolant should be red though. Also could be oil buildup in your intercoolers, and then leaking out.
    Very true, i actually visited a local shop (Addiction Motorsports) and they did mention that the intercoolers after a while do cumulate oil and do leaks. Thank you for that, i'll try to check on that soon.

Quote Originally Posted by Aronis View Post
    A couple of years ago I poured a cap full of oil on the floor under my friends heavily modified Subaru WRX STI and gave him an oil leak, he freaked out....could be a joker messing with you....

JK.

Oil pain seal. Only one bolt is a bit of an issue, but otherwise easy to replace. Run your fingers over the areas on the engine (cold engine) and may be able to pin point the source. After spending 15k on an engine pull I wonder if I should have kept driving the thing and just add oil every week. LOL.

Mike
    That's a pretty funny prank lol. When i purchased the car, the shop that i purchased it from did replace the timing belt and all that goes with it (water pump etc...) and adressed a oil line leak as well as the oil pan seal. they replaced all that but you never know. I will double check on that as well just to make sure. After 15K, i bet it lets you wonder lol, but they are such great cars, always puts a smile on my face every time i get in it!

lol very true, only worry when its a quart size! at least that was my way of thinking with my old VWs lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Bigglezworth View Post
    Impossible to diagnose via description above. This will require additional visual confirmation or 'taste' test. It's my observation that there are at least 5 items that could produce what you are possibly seeing:
    1. Engine oil leak from a valve cover, crank seal, or oil pan drain plug.
    2. Transmission oil leak from radiator cooler, or from front mount cooler/hoses.
    3. Power steering fluid leak from pump or resevoir.
    4. Engine oil leaking from lower intercooler hose, or from intercooler body.
    5. Coolant leak from radiator, water pump, or auxilary radiator coolers.

Any one of these items can produce a percieved leak as they can leak anywhere along the front of the engine bay, drip down on to the inspection cover, and then travel over to the low point where it drips out of a hole. We really need to see a top photo (engine side) of the inspection cover to help. Snap one and post it. Also, a 'taste' of the fluid will tell you whether or not it's engine oil, transmission gear fluid, power steering fluid, or coolant fluid. I realize this isn't for everyone, and someone who hasn't done it the past will likely not know how to differentiate, but the taste test is always bang on IMO.

That aside, a quarter size leak is peanuts. I currently have a leaking intercooler (due to failing turbo), leaking PS pump/resvoir/hose, leaking water pump, and leaking oil cooler..... Time to overhaul a bunch of things
    I will try to take a picture soon for you guys to show it. do you want top covers removed for better visibility? I think it is motor oil but next drive i will check it again (cleaned up the spot already) and go from there. Valve covers is what i was wondering but i thing that was also what they adressed before i purchased the car. I will go thru my paperwork soon to see what they all did to try to see what all was done and list that.

Thank you all for your responces!

Quote Originally Posted by rah View Post
    I will try to take a picture soon for you guys to show it. do you want top covers removed for better visibility? I think it is motor oil but next drive i will check it again (cleaned up the spot already) and go from there. Valve covers is what i was wondering but i thing that was also what they adressed before i purchased the car. I will go thru my paperwork soon to see what they all did to try to see what all was done and list that.

Thank you all for your responces!
    Belly pan, remove the belly pan, if you have one...need that done to specify proximate location.
    Ace/Edge TC - Tozo Trans - MTM TCU - REVO/ME7 tune - Wagner IC's w/ Venair Hoses - Aux Radiator delete - Hotchkis Sways - Hawk HPS Pads - Koni Sport Struts - Scroll KO4 Turbos - Devil's Own WM - 421whp/452wtq on Mustang Dyno - http://www.audirssix.com

Yeah...I was thinking wait until it's the size of a Frisbee, then sell the car...