Thread: cam chain tensioner pad wear

cam chain tensioner pad wear

What test is done to check for pad wear and what should the readings be ? Have searched but can't seem to find the actual name. Thanks for any and all help. Be safe.

New Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_7589.jpg 
Views:	173 
Size:	54.3 KB 
ID:	17823 Old Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20160929_150147444.jpg 
Views:	166 
Size:	52.9 KB 
ID:	17822

The "cam phase" will tell you some information as the spec is -3 to plus 6 degrees at idle. Too bad there is not a CEL triggered when it's out of spec. The only way to know for sure is to pull the valve cover gasket off and directly look at the pads. You cannot see the bottom pads unless you remove the chain tensioner.

If your car is approaching 100k miles you should consider just replacing them. The plastic shoes can be replaced and actually come in a complete cam seal kit with everything you need to replace the shoes (but you'll also need 52 new bolts for the cam mounts).

Mike
    '18 BMW M5, '19 Porsche Boxster GTS
    (prior '94 325is, '97 M3, '00 A6 4.2,'03 RS6,'08 A4 Cab,'13 A8L,'15 Q7,'16 BMW M2,

Quote Originally Posted by Aronis View Post
    New Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_7589.jpg 
Views:	173 
Size:	54.3 KB 
ID:	17823 Old Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20160929_150147444.jpg 
Views:	166 
Size:	52.9 KB 
ID:	17822

The "cam phase" will tell you some information as the spec is -3 to plus 6 degrees at idle. Too bad there is not a CEL triggered when it's out of spec. The only way to know for sure is to pull the valve cover gasket off and directly look at the pads. You cannot see the bottom pads unless you remove the chain tensioner.

If your car is approaching 100k miles you should consider just replacing them. The plastic shoes can be replaced and actually come in a complete cam seal kit with everything you need to replace the shoes (but you'll also need 52 new bolts for the cam mounts).

Mike
    Thank U !!

Also to add to what Aronis said, these cars are starting to get old and the plastic in the tensioners gets brittle with age as well as heat so even though there is material left in the pads there have been instances where the pads crack/break and then you have the metal shoe against the metal chain. This is starting to occur in more and more cars, Audi's, Porsche's, BMW's, etc... as they all seem to use similar systems and/or plastic chain guides.
    2003 White RS6 2013 Midnight Blue S5
    2013 Daytona RS5 2x944 Turbo's 1974 911 w/'91 3.6ltr motor
    Roy, WA

Hopefully those of us that pop hoods and place fans after parking will have longer term cycles of these parts.

Its no accident the pass side rear always seem to fail first. Guess what it's close to?

Knock on wood....I have never needed them.

About 20 pages on this...https://www.google.com/search?q=site...+cam+tensioner

Use "site:rs6.com cam tensioner" or similar to search the site. You can monitor numbers as mentioned through VCDS. Mine also gave a signal with clicking noise on startup, got worse from 95k-100k miles, then total failure.
    Ace/Edge TC - Tozo Trans - MTM TCU - REVO/ME7 tune - Wagner IC's w/ Venair Hoses - Aux Radiator delete - Hotchkis Sways - Hawk HPS Pads - Koni Sport Struts - Scroll KO4 Turbos - Devil's Own WM - 421whp/452wtq on Mustang Dyno - http://www.audirssix.com

Sorry I did not take any photos. My mechanic is currently working on an M5 (2003 or so) V8 and is replacing the seals on the Vanos controllers. BMW uses a much more durable set up for the Cam Phase adjustment. It's all metal. There are some plastic guides also but they are much bigger and broader than the tiny ones on the Audi cam tensioners. If you look at the setup in the new V8 (4.0 liter) they use larger pads on the cam tensioners, but still the similar type.

BMW uses a concentric gear on a spline and moves the gear in and out on the spline to vary the cam phase. They have a series of seals that can go, a nylon seal which was interesting, BUT you can buy a kit for $20 to rebuild the unit. Those VANOS things are $3500 each so much more than the $800 for our cam tensioners. I should have taken more photos of the BMW. I am pretty sure there was at least one set of internal plastic guides but I may be wrong. I'll swing up on Monday and take a look, I doubt he is finished with it.

Mike
    '18 BMW M5, '19 Porsche Boxster GTS
    (prior '94 325is, '97 M3, '00 A6 4.2,'03 RS6,'08 A4 Cab,'13 A8L,'15 Q7,'16 BMW M2,