Thread: RS6+ Avant Build in North America

RS6+ Avant Build in North America

Folks,

I know this is along awaited thread. I apologize for the delay, but things have been brutal at work over the last six months, and I just finally got the car home to Virginia.

First and foremost, I want to give a big shout out to AZ Euro's that did the conversion. They are based in Mesa AZ, and have one of the very best Audi techs in the country. Christian was awesome, and his attention to detail is second to none. I really felt like he owned the project as his own baby from start to finish. Second, I would like to thank Dave Hall. Without his encouragement, I would have never pulled the trigger to make this happen. He was also kind enough to babysit the project in his backyard until completion. Finally, to Papadoc and his wrecked, but babied RS6...it was the perfect donor car, and I knew it had the proper care its whole life....

We started the project in February of 2016 with a 2003 S6 Avant. It was a one owner car from wisconsin. The exterior was a little rough, but it has had no accidents, or paintwork. THe underside of the car was in extremely good condition, plus it was a 2003...

Dave Hall was kind enough to sell me the Popadoc car, and helped me to secure the shop to do the work, as welll as an awesome fixed quote to get it completed.

Literally everythnig was gutted from the RS6 and grafted to the S6 body... including:

1) Engine and trans
    2) steering rack
    3) brakes and suspension (the DRC was replaced with a koni/euro RS6 plus spring combo)
    4) Engine snub mount grafted into S6
    5) cluster, carbon trim, center console
    6) threshold plates
    7) ECU and TCU
    8) steering wheel and shifter
    9) turbos were removed and rebuilt by midwest Turbo...
    10) doorcards
    11) exhaust

In addition, Rs6 Plus 19 inch wheels were sourced from the UK, as well as the front bumper assembly. The rear bumper and side skirts were also obtained.

New window surrounds from the RS6 plus were ordered and used RS6 plus luggage rails were purchased and re-powder coated.

The cam covers were repainted audi red

It has Euro RS seating courtesy of the UK as well....

We did not adapt the twin pump fuel system, but opted for a larger capatciy Webasto fuel pump..

They battery was relocated to the trunk.

The car is wrapped in 3m satin silver wrap, and windows are tinited all the way around..

The car has done about 3K miles since completion, but was forced back to the shop for a level 10 torque converter rebuild.

It is flashed to deliver approx 500HP on 93 octane. It was tuned for daily driving, not max performance.

It runs amazing, and is a pleasure to drive..it really is my dream car...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_4748.jpg 
Views:	270 
Size:	91.6 KB 
ID:	17810   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_4752.jpg 
Views:	207 
Size:	94.7 KB 
ID:	17809  
    Last edited by Stephencl; January 6th, 2017 at 06:12.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_4744.jpg 
Views:	177 
Size:	109.8 KB 
ID:	17811Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_4740.jpg 
Views:	168 
Size:	87.8 KB 
ID:	17812

First dibs on buying it Awesome project.
    RS6 #1 904959, Daytona, Silver, tons of "stuff," went through puddle, dead engine, end of #1 for me, rebuilt by local enthusiast and thriving.
    RS6 #2 904568, Avus, Ebony, no stuff, stock minus RNS-E.

It don't get much better than this. Congrats it's finally home!!

i held on to Papadocs car for over two years when this all fell into place. I could hear my wife every month or so talk about the wrecked car out back and why we have it. Lol It was a 1 owner car with perfect care over a lifetime now to live on as a proper Avant conversion. Amazing really

Heck even Papadoc had to buy another RS6 because he missed the car so much.

crap, I really need to do one of these and I have another donor in Peiserg's old Misano car but it's getting so hard to find the dang S6 donor.

Oh, I also forgot to mention that I fooled the dealer as well...they were convinced it was an true rs6 avant brought into the US...now that is saying somethin!

stephen

Looks and sounds good, but oh my goodness what a host of work and money. Glad you're happy with the end result. So unfortunate is the US regs that you have to hack up two cars to make one. I feel fortunate that I can import one legally as of now and in the infancy of sourcing a nice unit from abroad. I've done 30yrs plus hotrodding and working on cars and I simply have zero desire to frankenstein a car that I can purchase an OEM spec Avant for the same price as what it costs me to purchase a sedan from the US - albeit double the shipping cost. All I have to do now is decide if I want a LH or RH spec model and then decide if I want to import from east (Europe/UK) or west (Japan). I'm leaning towards the latter as you simply can't drive that far in Japan and most of the people importing from there are getting 15yr old cars that have 50K on them. It's an interesting endeavor that has just begun. Whoot.
    '02 S6 Avant Silver - Pokey | Carbon Black/Ebony RS6 w/ stuff - darn quick | '03 Daytona Grey/Ebony RS6 w/ more stuff - quicker yet | '91 NSX CDN issue with 6spd & BBSC - quicker yet and then some | '87 Buick GNX OEM clone w/ lots of stuff - quickest hands down

Nice. I think yours makes the #4 tribute car. Enjoy it.

I do miss mine every now and then.

Last pic before it went to the new owner...

2012 Q7 TDI S-Line - 2010 GTI - 2007 A3 3.2 S-Line - 2003 RS6
    2001 Honda S2000 - 1977 Honda CBR 750-F2 - 1965 GMC 1500 WideSide

Quote Originally Posted by Bigglezworth View Post
    Looks and sounds good, but oh my goodness what a host of work and money. Glad you're happy with the end result. So unfortunate is the US regs that you have to hack up two cars to make one. I feel fortunate that I can import one legally as of now and in the infancy of sourcing a nice unit from abroad. I've done 30yrs plus hotrodding and working on cars and I simply have zero desire to frankenstein a car that I can purchase an OEM spec Avant for the same price as what it costs me to purchase a sedan from the US - albeit double the shipping cost. All I have to do now is decide if I want a LH or RH spec model and then decide if I want to import from east (Europe/UK) or west (Japan). I'm leaning towards the latter as you simply can't drive that far in Japan and most of the people importing from there are getting 15yr old cars that have 50K on them. It's an interesting endeavor that has just begun. Whoot.
    Wow, must be fun...it was at least 15K cheaper for me to go this route versus import and convert a german car to US spec. I have done three BMW's over the years, so believe me, I tried to do an RS6 before going down this path...

Stephen

US DOT laws keep us from having the Oh Canada options.

We have to wait 10 more years for the Avants to be legal here. Our only option is to convert the S6 Avant.

Quote Originally Posted by DHall1 View Post
    i held on to Papadocs car for over two years when this all fell into place. I could hear my wife every month or so talk about the wrecked car out back and why we have it. Lol It was a 1 owner car with perfect care over a lifetime now to live on as a proper Avant conversion. Amazing really

Heck even Papadoc had to buy another RS6 because he missed the car so much.
    So glad to see this, Stephen. I was wondering when we would see the finished product, and it appears even better than I imagined. The wrap looks fantastic. But without this forum, and folks like Dave and you who have been on here from the beginning, this could not have happened. Now keep it drinking Brian's BND stuff and get at least another 100K miles on it!
    First RS6 totaled at 142K. Now donor for S6 Avant project. Daily driver: Sepang Blue 2016 S6. Black optics, sport package. #2 Black on Black, Level 10 and Koni, Eclipse Nav + Sirius, 034 Motorsports ECU and TCU tune.

Amazing, I'm down to join you in the RS6 section of cars and coffee in Vienna anytime . The Audizine folks will go nuts over your RS6 avant suggest you post the build over there if have not done already. Cheers on a job well done, enjoy!
    Current: Black Pearl Metallic Effect/Ebony, RNS-E, Euro + pedals, oCarbon, Hotchkiss Front & Rear Sway Bars, Koni Yellow's

Looks great, ton of work...