Thread: F125 Neutral Safety Switch

F125 Neutral Safety Switch

Who on the board has experience with the F125 Neutral Safety Switch? The S6 I just bought shows symptoms of a failed switch in that it doesn't go in to drive, and then as you depress the pedal it will pop in to gear as the multitronic PRNDS lights up solid on the days. It can be accelerated to highway speed and doesn't slip at all.

In hoping it is in fact the switch, I thought I would try the spare 10pin switch I have laying around from a previous tranny swap on the one RS here. I have no method of testing it, so thought I would simply try unplugging the one in the car, plug this one in, and after blocking the wheels, start it up and "run through the gears" by turning the switch like the shifter cable would.

Enter the problem. I couldn't get the car to turn over? It's the same switch from what I can tell by looking at resellers listing switches for this car. The S6/RS6/A8/Phaeton are all purportedly the same 10pin switch. I thought perhaps it was because the switch wasn't mounted to the tranny and that a ground wasn't in play. I then grounded it and still nothing.

Anyone have insight on what I'm overlooking? I honestly don't know if the switch is bad, but logic suggests it isn't as I had drove the car I swapped the tranny on into the garage where the work was performed.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	F125.jpg 
Views:	377 
Size:	63.2 KB 
ID:	17725
    '02 S6 Avant Silver - Pokey | Carbon Black/Ebony RS6 w/ stuff - darn quick | '03 Daytona Grey/Ebony RS6 w/ more stuff - quicker yet | '91 NSX CDN issue with 6spd & BBSC - quicker yet and then some | '87 Buick GNX OEM clone w/ lots of stuff - quickest hands down

I'm fiddling with this switch on the Misano car right now.

Did you try adjusting the shifter cable yet? It could be cause for not getting trans all the way into drive as you move the shifter

Heard it discussed many times on RS246.com, Google "site:rs246.com f125" brings up plenty of cases.
    Ace/Edge TC - Tozo Trans - MTM TCU - REVO/ME7 tune - Wagner IC's w/ Venair Hoses - Aux Radiator delete - Hotchkis Sways - Hawk HPS Pads - Koni Sport Struts - Scroll KO4 Turbos - Devil's Own WM - 421whp/452wtq on Mustang Dyno - http://www.audirssix.com

I did what you are doing Tim...finally caved and bought one...one of those mystery switches...like the brake light switch...does way more than you think...and not "just" a switch...

Quote Originally Posted by ttboost View Post
    I did what you are doing Tim...finally caved and bought one...one of those mystery switches...like the brake light switch...does way more than you think...and not "just" a switch...
    I hear ya. Controls back-up lights/sensors, ensures you don't try to start the engine while the car is in gear, interfaces with the reverse lock-out that requires you to depress the brake, etc. I had just hoped I could trick the car in to thinking I installed a replacement switch to see if that remedied the problem. If I could have gotten it started I could have tested, but it would appear they aren't apples to apples between the RS and the S for whatever reason....

Will get this sorted soon.

Thx
    '02 S6 Avant Silver - Pokey | Carbon Black/Ebony RS6 w/ stuff - darn quick | '03 Daytona Grey/Ebony RS6 w/ more stuff - quicker yet | '91 NSX CDN issue with 6spd & BBSC - quicker yet and then some | '87 Buick GNX OEM clone w/ lots of stuff - quickest hands down