Thread: transmission filter partially clogged?

transmission filter partially clogged?

an issue recently cropped up where my car drives perfectly fine around town, but if I stomp on it and give it the beans, there's a subtle vibration, almost like the front wheels are out of balance (they're not, I checked that straightaway of course!).

The car just came back with the front drive axle boots replaced and serviced - any possibility something wasn't reassembled correctly on the front differential?

my mechanic thinks that the issue is the filter isn't allowing enough transmission fluid to flow under full load. A transmission fluid change and new filter ought to take care of this then?

Or is the damned transmission about to grenade? It's basically stock, 110k miles, with a Level 10 valve body and MTM reflashed TCU. I haven't done any 100% throttle pulls since getting my car back, for fear of whatever it is that changes gears (I know jack shit about slushboxes) will break. Would this be the torque converter?

None of the gears seem bad - I put it into manual and did pulls in all five gears. Same thing - subtle vibration.

btw the mechanic said that one doesn't just change the transmission fluid and filter. You have to set two different parameters (with I'm guessing the TCU) to tell the car about the viscosity of the new fluid. Failure to do this is a sure route to destroying the transmission. True/false?

I'm planning to sell my car soon and want everything mechanically sound with no ticking time bombs, at least within my control. May not make the most sense to spend a few grand on a car I'm selling, but my passion for motor vehicles has never made financial sense nor been rational. It's also in a sense paying it forward - the guy who sold me this car was about the most OCD car nut I've ever met, and it showed with the physical and mechanical condition of the car. Since I'm not in an urgent selling position, my plan is to accept an offer only from a true hardcore VW/Audi enthusiast.
    Das Silberkugel - Eurocharged Stage 2/MTM/Level 10/Hotchkis/Koni/H&R
    2015 Ducati 1299S Panigale
    2014 Ducati Multistrada Granturismo

I've never heard of resetting parameters in the transmission, but maybe someone else can confirm? Anyway, the first thing I would check is the axles, particularly since they were just worked on. Your symptoms sound exactly like mine when my axle was slightly out of balance. It was fine under normal driving, but shook under load. The other thing to check would be the center support bearing on the prop shaft. If it's out of alignment it'll do the same thing.
    RS6 #1, 01E, 2.5" straight pipes, AMD Stage 1 6MT tune, 460awhp/530awtq on AMD's Mustang dyno. TOTALLED.. RS6 #2, Ebony Black Pearl on black/silver combination with carbon, up and running with 6 gears and AMD tune.

Quote Originally Posted by P1054 View Post
    I've never heard of resetting parameters in the transmission, but maybe someone else can confirm? Anyway, the first thing I would check is the axles, particularly since they were just worked on. Your symptoms sound exactly like mine when my axle was slightly out of balance. It was fine under normal driving, but shook under load. The other thing to check would be the center support bearing on the prop shaft. If it's out of alignment it'll do the same thing.
    thanks! I'll put good money that it's not the transmission at all but that he was sloppy in reassembling the front drive shafts. I won't go to him for work again.

Did you put new boots or replacement axles?

I don't think a clogged trans filter would cause a vibration. Someone else had a filter pickup tube that was too long, which caused fluid starvation, and got a whining noise. Are you certain this vibration only started after it was serviced?

If the axles were removed make sure ALL bolts were replaced and torqued properly. If so, my guess is that the problem is control arms or alignment.

And yes, there is definitely a fairly involved procedure that involves a VAG-COM that's needed to do a trans fluid change, but I don't know the specific details.

Quote Originally Posted by DHall1 View Post
    Did you put new boots or replacement axles?
    yep, and the vibration started only after this was done. I've never had transmission issues (knock on wood!)

You only need Vagcom to monitor the fluid temperature when filling for the correct level as the fluid expands. There are no other special procedures as it's like most newer transmissions where you fill from a periscope tube from the bottom.
    2003 White RS6 2013 Midnight Blue S5
    2013 Daytona RS5 2x944 Turbo's 1974 911 w/'91 3.6ltr motor
    Roy, WA

Trans manual and fill document is on my website, top right tab, Extras...and after the fill, drive a week and then double check if you can add more.
    Ace/Edge TC - Tozo Trans - MTM TCU - REVO/ME7 tune - Wagner IC's w/ Venair Hoses - Aux Radiator delete - Hotchkis Sways - Hawk HPS Pads - Koni Sport Struts - Scroll KO4 Turbos - Devil's Own WM - 421whp/452wtq on Mustang Dyno - http://www.audirssix.com

Your transmission has zero to do with your symptom. Back check the work. Suspecious vibration started after working on axles. Remember you have to dissassemble spindle from the upper controls arms to undertake any axle related work. Did you do boots, or the entire joint? It would be very uncommon for a new part to create the problem you cite, but it's not impossible.... It's also plausible that as part of work being performed on the outer axle that the inner joint was strained (i.e. how was the outer joint removed, how was the axle treated, etc., There are only so many rotating parts posterior to the powerplant that lead to vibration on the car. You've said nothing has changed except for this specific work. Tires are the same, didn't rotate? Can you 'feel' if more ont he front vs. rear? Many a bad inner joint have been the problem for persistent vibration as has the center support bearing and even the input and output bearings on the centre drive shaft. You could be guessing a lot on this based upon opinon from the board. It the vibrarion is obviuos, get the shop to review and address. If that's bad blood, get another qualified mechanic to at least perform a visual inspection.

I do know I had a persistent vibration under load for a few months that saw me swapping out a bunch of parts that were mileage related. Ended up being inner joint on passemger front drive axle.
    '02 S6 Avant Silver - Pokey | Carbon Black/Ebony RS6 w/ stuff - darn quick | '03 Daytona Grey/Ebony RS6 w/ more stuff - quicker yet | '91 NSX CDN issue with 6spd & BBSC - quicker yet and then some | '87 Buick GNX OEM clone w/ lots of stuff - quickest hands down

I've gotten a similar issue after replacing my RF axle with a new aftermarket one. Checked wheel balance, rotated tires, even changed wheels. I get a vibration that I feel even in my gas pedal. This is the only plausible cause I can come up with. I think I ought to have my old axle rebuilt and toss the aftermarket one in the trash.
    2017 Subaru BRZ Limited w/ Performance Pack 6MT
    2003 Audi RS 6 quattro 5AT - sold

Quote Originally Posted by Bigglezworth View Post
    Your transmission has zero to do with your symptom. Back check the work. Suspecious vibration started after working on axles. Remember you have to dissassemble spindle from the upper controls arms to undertake any axle related work. Did you do boots, or the entire joint? It would be very uncommon for a new part to create the problem you cite, but it's not impossible.... It's also plausible that as part of work being performed on the outer axle that the inner joint was strained (i.e. how was the outer joint removed, how was the axle treated, etc., There are only so many rotating parts posterior to the powerplant that lead to vibration on the car. You've said nothing has changed except for this specific work. Tires are the same, didn't rotate? Can you 'feel' if more ont he front vs. rear? Many a bad inner joint have been the problem for persistent vibration as has the center support bearing and even the input and output bearings on the centre drive shaft. You could be guessing a lot on this based upon opinon from the board. It the vibrarion is obviuos, get the shop to review and address. If that's bad blood, get another qualified mechanic to at least perform a visual inspection.

I do know I had a persistent vibration under load for a few months that saw me swapping out a bunch of parts that were mileage related. Ended up being inner joint on passemger front drive axle.
    just the boots were done, but I have suspicions that the work done was sloppy.