Thread: Passenger side turbo is shot....anyone try Silly Rabbits hybrids ?

Passenger side turbo is shot....anyone try Silly Rabbits hybrids ?

So after the shop having my car...they found the meth kit wasnt working because the vacuum hose was broke off....that was a cheap and easy fix. But the car is sluggish and sounds terrible still because the passenger side turbo is shot. Said the shaft is froze, won't spin at all! The warranty company will cover the turbo. But depending on how much they give for a new OEM turbo, I can get the Silly Rabbit hybrids for $1700. Worst case I pay for them and the labor is free if the warranty company won't pay for non OEM brand parts. Anyone had any luck with the silly rabbit hybrids? I know scrolls are big in this forum and people love those. Wasn't sure if I would need a re-tune for any type of hybrids turbos or if they would just work and add power? Trying to find the max PSI for hybrids if I need re-tuned.

thanks!

Mixed feelings about them. Big cold side, nice peak torque, but small hot side - hence, weak top end and high EGTs, especially if ran without W/M.
    You will need 550cc injectors, 044 pump, 4bar MAP and a proper tune - at the very least. Bigger intercoolers and (likely) upgraded DVs are recommended.
    If you have AT, it will blow up very quickly with hybrids.

We're currently in the process of fine tuning Fastguy's SRM turboed MT RS6, I guess you could PM him for a first-hand experience.

I would go with oem.

Quote Originally Posted by nubcake View Post
    Mixed feelings about them. Big cold side, nice peak torque, but small hot side - hence, weak top end and high EGTs, especially if ran without W/M.
    You will need 550cc injectors, 044 pump, 4bar MAP and a proper tune - at the very least. Bigger intercoolers and (likely) upgraded DVs are recommended.
    If you have AT, it will blow up very quickly with hybrids.

We're currently in the process of fine tuning Fastguy's SRM turboed MT RS6, I guess you could PM him for a first-hand experience.

Dang. Lol was hoping for a just bolt on and go. Yeah it's an auto...don't want blow that up!

Those are far from bolt on.
    And if you tune them conservatively for an auto - you're missing half the fun!

I think they can produce over 750-800 lbft.

What PSI do they max at? I know OEM caps at like 18psi. Can these be tuned for 25+? Didn't know anyone with an RS6 even ran more than I think 21psi and I think when I talked to him he had scroll hybrids.

RS6 engine will puke out its rods at the amount of boost they peak at, if ran all out. Should be capable of 30-35.
    We're currently running them at 27ish peak tapering to 20ish by redline. I still want to knock a couple of psi off peak to make it nice and safe.

We're currently running them at 27ish peak tapering to 20ish by redline.
    Nice. What kind of hp/tq?

Didn't dyno yet, ballpark estimate is 750ish tq/650ish hp crank.

Ha. Dang. I'll just stick with the OEM the warranty company will pay for I guess. Hybrids might get me in trouble and cause for stuff to break for sure!

The heart of the turbos are about $300 each if I recall, come balanced, from Midwest Turbo. The numbers in my engine oil leak thread. Replacing the entire turbo with the housing is very pricy. Unless they are cracked there really is no reason to replace the whole thing. The other part that needs to be checked is the waste gate actuator. Vacuum check...

Mike
    '18 BMW M5, '19 Porsche Boxster GTS
    (prior '94 325is, '97 M3, '00 A6 4.2,'03 RS6,'08 A4 Cab,'13 A8L,'15 Q7,'16 BMW M2,

(prior '94 325is, '97 M3, '00 A6 4.2,'03 RS6,'08 A4 Cab,'13 A8L,'15 Q7,'16 BMW M2,

If the warranty company pays, then rather have complete units replaced. Why not? :P

If they are paying, sure, but still the new guts and the new control valve would be much cheaper, the warrantee company should know that!

The like to save money too and parts can be very price. They can screw over a dealer with labor charges, but have little control over the parts.

My Torque Converter was changed for $3500 paid for by my extended warrantee. I know the that if I paid out of pocked I would have paid a lot more than $3500. Just to pull my engine to find the oil leak the dealer quoted me $4500 (just to pull the engine and put it back) plus the repairs/parts.

So I cannot see the warrantee company going with totally new turbos including the housing for several thousand dollars...

Mike

I have the SRM K24 turbos, along with the bigger injectors; 4bar; 450 walbro intank and 044 inline; wagners; and aquamist HFS-3. The car is currently at EFI Express getting its final dyno tune. At spring pressure (18psi) the car makes 450whp/470ftlbs w/o meth. Marc is adding the HFS-3 and tuning to 28-30psi with a target of 550/575whp/600ftlbs. Best features will be the launch control and no lift shifting!

Car should be ready this weekend,fingers crossed!
    03 RS6 Daytona Grey - EFI Express - 01e - SRM K24 - Aquamist - 495whp/580ft-lbs

Didn't dyno yet, ballpark estimate is 750ish tq/650ish hp crank.
    Quote Originally Posted by mdegracia View Post
    Marc is adding the HFS-3 and tuning to 28-30psi with a target of 550/575whp/600ftlbs. Best features will be the launch control and no lift shifting!
    Man you guys are making me jealous!

Nubcake has done wonders with my fine tuning. The srms, so far, have performed fine for me. As Nubcake said, they will provide more boost than the stock internals can handle anyway. They have completely transformed my car but we did do many other modifications to the fuel system, dps, w/m injection, manual transmission, stage 4 extreme clutch, etc. it's been fun.

I bought a pair of new CHRA's from these guys: https://www.turborebuild.co.uk/

I believe they are exactly the same units that Midwest sells (Melett), but they are a lot cheaper: £262 inc delivery (delivery 3-5 working days). Even cheaper now that the Pound has dropped so much! Credit to Bigglezworth for pointing me in their direction. I just emailed Sales@turborebuild.co.uk and they were very helpful.