Thread: Help needed...brake pedal fading!!

Exclamation Help needed...brake pedal fading!!

Hi Audi Brain trust,

I have an issue and I'm seeking your collective wisdom to help identify the issue.

Background : Over the past 2 months I've had the occasional time where the brake pedal fades and I can almost put the pedal to the floor before I get some brake action. This came and went so sporadically I couldn't get my local independent shop to replicate it. At the same time my brake pad light came on the dashboard and it was actually about time to replace pads/rotors.

Two weeks ago I had new front rotors and pads put on. I described the brake pedal fade issue to the local mechanic who I had do the brakes (since it's a relatively simple swap). He couldn't replicate it either so no more investigation was done.

Fast forward to tonight. I'm coming home and about 1/4 mile from my house I get the brake pedal fade where I have to go to the floor. I pull into the drive way and smell a burnt smell and can see smoke coming from my right front wheel. I'm freaking out. I can feel heat from the rotor and wheel and can here them pinging as they cool. Would the brake fade indirectly cause the pads to engage and thus heat up the rotor?

I'm taking the car back to the guy who did the brakes tomorrow morning but any thoughts suggestions would be welcome!!!

Greg
    ECU/TCU chip, Euro Recaro's, KW 3's, Wagners, Venair hoses, Dahlback diverters, Hotchkis sways, Phaeton ducts, lower spoilers, custom vent's in hood

Type of pads and rotors, brand?

Smoke, burnt smell, can be coating on new pads I believe, reading about a Focus RS test drive where the new pads caught fire.

I would say vacuum leak leading to lack of help with the brake boosting, think that's how it works.

But since you did need a change, and now a direct issue, maybe it's a leaking brake line fluid?

I'm assuming you bedded the pads/rotors correctly?
    Ace/Edge TC - Tozo Trans - MTM TCU - REVO/ME7 tune - Wagner IC's w/ Venair Hoses - Aux Radiator delete - Hotchkis Sways - Hawk HPS Pads - Koni Sport Struts - Scroll KO4 Turbos - Devil's Own WM - 421whp/452wtq on Mustang Dyno - http://www.audirssix.com

zimmerman rotors and hawk hps 5.0 pads. i did bed the pads by doing a few hard brake runs. but overall i have not been braking hard at all, just smooth general city driving/braking.
    ECU/TCU chip, Euro Recaro's, KW 3's, Wagners, Venair hoses, Dahlback diverters, Hotchkis sways, Phaeton ducts, lower spoilers, custom vent's in hood

My guess is - your right front caliper is dragging a bit, which heats up the fluid and causes it to boil.
    Change the fluid and look into getting the caliper rebuilt.