Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Prepping 01E RS6 Watkins Glen Intl track day with NEQ

Prepping 01E RS6 Watkins Glen Intl track day with NEQ

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	297 
Size:	93.1 KB 
ID:	17586
    Im running through my final punch list for an event at Watkins Glen Intl coming up this month. Aside from the normal maintenance list (oil change, suspension checks, brake fluid flush, coolant hose inspection etc) I have the car setup with the under tray vent mod and front brake cooling using Phaeton scoops with Toureg backing plates and straight exhaust for effect. Does anybody know what brake pad was used when the RS6 ran in the World Challenge series? Recommendations for stiffness setting on Bilstein PS9 coil-overs?

Not trying to give a smart answer but the braking system on those world challenge RS6s shared no parts whatsoever with a OEM car....but probably with some Pagid pad

Ok, good to know. There is a post on this website about Champion RS6 specs and it does say they used the standard RS6 brake system. Can't imagine there being an upgrade to the 8 piston brembo.
    Last edited by sbcrc86; August 13th, 2016 at 21:59. Reason: incomplete respone

I spent some time working with a world challenge team although it was after rs6s were done, and most of the cars' braking systems were many 10s of thousands of dollars of parts many of which are engineered to wear out readily, namely rotors and pads. And the cooling / ducting set ups would be nothing like anything that would fit on even the most extreme road car. The bias would also have to be fully adjustable. A lot of calipers were Brembo (and AP and Alcon) but full on race pieces with features like internal fluid routing and drilled out pistons (not sure what that's for -weight so could modulate quicker or cooling?? - I wasn't a tech or engineer but it's clearly like nothing you've ever seen on a st car). A lot / most of the cars I was familiar with had custom fabricated uprights/hub assemblies that required their own fabricated caliper mounting bracket. The pedal boxes and cylinder set ups were also obviously all race pieces made by likes of AP and Alcon set up so all was readily accessible for servicing and infinitely adjustable. . I think the series required steel rotors but they def wweren't st. Rotors and had totally different dimensions and hat configurations etc.

I have never driven mine at the track. I know one who has his but I don't think for many successive hot laps. I'd be interested to hear how yours does with your mods Etc as far as keeping the brakes cool with that big heavy car. Watkins Glenwill ddefinitely give you the chance to find out. Awesome track!!

.... and I know the rear brakes on stock rs6 might be properly mated to the front for Street application but there is no way a world challenge car used those dinky little pot metal things

Which event are you going to? I live an hour from the Glen but have never been there! Every time I look for an event, something else comes up.

Mike
    '18 BMW M5, '19 Porsche Boxster GTS
    (prior '94 325is, '97 M3, '00 A6 4.2,'03 RS6,'08 A4 Cab,'13 A8L,'15 Q7,'16 BMW M2,

Quote Originally Posted by Aronis View Post
    Which event are you going to? I live an hour from the Glen but have never been there! Every time I look for an event, something else comes up.

Mike
    We should carpool...two RS6's, maybe one will make it back!
    Ace/Edge TC - Tozo Trans - MTM TCU - REVO/ME7 tune - Wagner IC's w/ Venair Hoses - Aux Radiator delete - Hotchkis Sways - Hawk HPS Pads - Koni Sport Struts - Scroll KO4 Turbos - Devil's Own WM - 421whp/452wtq on Mustang Dyno - http://www.audirssix.com

The original specs I have also showed stock brakes but I'm sure the rotors were upgraded. Of course the car was a lot lighter which means better braking with the same brake system. I would also bet they used a Pagid pad and probably a steel/Aluminum rather than a Cast Iron/Aluminum rotor. Brembo sold kits with our same front Caliper with up to 380mm rotors so a bigger rotor does fit and may have been fitted.
    2003 White RS6 2013 Midnight Blue S5
    2013 Daytona RS5 2x944 Turbo's 1974 911 w/'91 3.6ltr motor
    Roy, WA

Sounds exciting! Get some pics and footage for us! What kinda tires you running? Looks like Ventus R-S3's from the picture?

Another Boston-based RS6 I've never run into... when're we all gonna have a meet? I suggested it before but I've been too busy to officially organize anything.
    2017 Subaru BRZ Limited w/ Performance Pack 6MT
    2003 Audi RS 6 quattro 5AT - sold

What is the date of the event?

Pick up Iswing on your way through Albany!

Mike
    (prior '94 325is, '97 M3, '00 A6 4.2,'03 RS6,'08 A4 Cab,'13 A8L,'15 Q7,'16 BMW M2,

Randy, calling Randy (Crazytrain), your presence is requested for your Vast insight into this thread topic (Alcon 6 pistons and slicks)...

@MaxRS6
    Last edited by ben916; August 15th, 2016 at 21:49. Reason: Vast not Cast
    SOLD - 03 RS6 Avus (905355)
    Current - 03 Toyota Tacoma 4x4 double cab - the YETI, lifted, winched, snorkeled, lockered, skidded, geared

Quote Originally Posted by ben916 View Post
    Randy, calling Randy (Crazytrain), your presence is requested for your cast insight into this thread topic (Alcon 6 pistons and slicks)...
    LOL!!!! Paging!!!

Quote Originally Posted by ben916 View Post
    Randy, calling Randy (Crazytrain), your presence is requested for your Vast insight into this thread topic (Alcon 6 pistons and slicks)...@MaxRS6
    I came in from the Back 40 when I heard the page!

The Alcon's and Sport Cups handled CoTA. The back stretch allowed Crazy into the 140+ range with heavy braking for Turn 12. Brake pads are normally toast after a track weekend. The heavy pig takes a toll on the consumables. Obviously, not the best track car choice. However; it was a ton of fun to rip around.

With that said- I believe the Brembos are up to the job with the right fluid, pads, and Phaeton mod.. I am probably going to throw the Brembos back on the car when the current rotors need to be replaced.

210K miles rolled

Figured it out...NEQ August 22 and 23, Monday and Tuesday. Working

Have fun.

I have alot of track experiences with Porsches at the track. I ran PCA club racing from 2006-2011 first in a 930 and then in a 993 Cup at. obviously Porsches are much lighter but brembos and pagids usually did the trick in any model for track use. My dad did a few events at the glen in his b8 S4 running stock rear calipers with 8 piston brembos up front and experienced brake fade after 4 or so laps of hard driving And by the end of the event his brake pads were burned pretty badly. I think he was running "Carbontech" pads or something like that. I'm hoping the brake cooling mod along with being a bit lighter with pagids will do the trick. I decided on Pagid yellows.

The rear brakes are def not what the race teams runs. It will be interesting to see is the car can consistantly take hard laps without brake fade. The glen should provide plenty of forced air to cool braking components.

^ Yep- the 996 is now on track duty. The 996 doesn't rip down the straights like Crazy. However; the 996 is a ton of fun in the turns and rowing thru the gears. The consumable cost is way down over the RS6. For example, the current set of front brake pads have seen over 10 track weekends with plenty of meat still on them. I'm headed to Texas World Speedway in a few weeks, then Motorsport Ranch Cresson, and followed up with a weekend at the National Corvette Museum track in late October.

Feed the bears with videos and comments of your adventure!
    210K miles rolled

Are you heading to the Glen?

Quote Originally Posted by sbcrc86 View Post
    Are you heading to the Glen?
    Nope- I wish I were as that would be a blast
    210K miles rolled