Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hotchkis sway bar with DRC?

Hotchkis sway bar with DRC?

Hello all. For those with functioning DRC systems, and who have added the Hotchkis sway bar kit, what was your initial impression?

Thanks in advance.

I have functioning DRC, ass rides high. Recently did the sways, initial impression: should have been my first mod. Way less body roll and improved initial turn in. Better at switchback transitions.

Mine were $485 from Amazon back in April, their prices fluctuate.
    Daytona Grey/ Ebony/Carbon | APR ECU/TCU | Wagner intercoolers, silicone hoses | Clampco T-bolts | APR axel back exhaust | Apikol MAF seal | 18x9.5 STR 609s | 265/35 Michelin PSS | Hotchkis sway bars |

Quote Originally Posted by RS Sick View Post
    I have functioning DRC, ass rides high. Recently did the sways, initial impression: should have been my first mod. Way less body roll and improved initial turn in. Better at switchback transitions.

Mine were $485 from Amazon back in April, their prices fluctuate.
    Fix your DRC...agree on all otherwise...
    Ace/Edge TC - Tozo Trans - MTM TCU - REVO/ME7 tune - Wagner IC's w/ Venair Hoses - Aux Radiator delete - Hotchkis Sways - Hawk HPS Pads - Koni Sport Struts - Scroll KO4 Turbos - Devil's Own WM - 421whp/452wtq on Mustang Dyno - http://www.audirssix.com

It's outstanding. I bought my car with that setup so I don't have any comparisons but as far as I'm concerned the ride is perfect.

Quote Originally Posted by lswing View Post
    Seconded.

I bought my RS6 with the KWV3 suspension already installed. Had to adjust for height because every shopping center / little neighborhood here likes to use speed humps. Ride was already pretty sick, and when I upgraded the sways to Hotchkiss I noticed much improved cornering (staying flatter at higher speeds), and significantly better feel/feedback overall. Highly recommend the Hotchkiss sway kit, but getting that Droopy-Rides-like-Crap system sorted should be a higher priority in my book.

O_E
    #905530 - Brilliant Black on Ebony. Sorted, running strong, ready for a new owner.
    No, I am not the board admin - that's Erik (from Sweden), I'm Other_Erik (from the US)

RS6 should have had Hotchkis sways as OEM.
    SOLD - 03 RS6 Avus (905355)
    Current - 03 Toyota Tacoma 4x4 double cab - the YETI, lifted, winched, snorkeled, lockered, skidded, geared

gawd, you guys making me impulse buy....Hotchkis bars on the way now
    03 RS6 Avus/Ebony #905593 resurrected 6MT, 04 Avalanche Z71, 87 T-Bird Turbo Coupe (351W T5), 04 Aprilia RSVR Factory

Quote Originally Posted by ben916 View Post
    RS6 should have had Hotchkis sways as OEM.
    Just about best mod per buck...
    Ace/Edge TC - Tozo Trans - MTM TCU - REVO/ME7 tune - Wagner IC's w/ Venair Hoses - Aux Radiator delete - Hotchkis Sways - Hawk HPS Pads - Koni Sport Struts - Scroll KO4 Turbos - Devil's Own WM - 421whp/452wtq on Mustang Dyno - http://www.audirssix.com

Thanks for the input on the Hotchkis sways. Care to expand on how to fix the high-riding rear DRC problem?

Quote Originally Posted by shadyraven View Post
    Care to expand on how to fix the high-riding rear DRC problem?
    It's not a problem. It's a preference/taste. OEM sat higher on the rear than a number of members like, and that is frequently worsened when a tech doesn't follow standard procedure to torque all bolts with the supsension under load vs. free air.

That said, I'm likely one of the few that prefers the DRC to any after market suspension - including the ubber expensive KWV3. Yes it had numerous problems for many, but for me it is simply the best. I've had three beasts in the garage at the same time all with different suspensions and the DRC won every time. That said, I have done a mod to mine.... I had my uncle machine off the stock perches and machine a trio of grooves to accept a multi-height C-clip set-up like that on the Koni.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2975.JPG 
Views:	110 
Size:	130.3 KB 
ID:	17587
    '02 S6 Avant Silver - Pokey | Carbon Black/Ebony RS6 w/ stuff - darn quick | '03 Daytona Grey/Ebony RS6 w/ more stuff - quicker yet | '91 NSX CDN issue with 6spd & BBSC - quicker yet and then some | '87 Buick GNX OEM clone w/ lots of stuff - quickest hands down

Quote Originally Posted by Bigglezworth View Post
    It's not a problem. It's a preference/taste. OEM sat higher on the rear than a number of members like, and that is frequently worsened when a tech doesn't follow standard procedure to torque all bolts with the supsension under load vs. free air.

That said, I'm likely one of the few that prefers the DRC to any after market suspension - including the ubber expensive KWV3. Yes it had numerous problems for many, but for me it is simply the best. I've had three beasts in the garage at the same time all with different suspensions and the DRC won every time. That said, I have done a mod to mine.... I had my uncle machine off the stock perches and machine a trio of grooves to accept a multi-height C-clip set-up like that on the Koni.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2975.JPG 
Views:	110 
Size:	130.3 KB 
ID:	17587
    this sounds perfect, you should market those bad boys.
    2010 XC90 exec, winter machine (V8 of course)
    2004 RS6 official Canadian edition, Daytona grey, (best colour!), summer edition
    2011 Q7 TDI, general alrounder

I really Iike my DRC. I think it rides awesome, not too hard, aptly compliant but very responsive and plenty feedback. . I think it's one of the best street suspensions I've had and I've had a lot from tooth shaking multi adjustable coil overs (arguably not a "st. Suspension") to plush high end AMGs and modern Bentley. I know prior = orig owner and I know he had it warranty replaced. And he told me - and he is connected car nut and sr. Instructor with Porsche and Audi club - that there were multiple versions of warranty replacement and that at the recommendation of his dealer Audi connection he waited until the most recent version of replacement came out. I have only ever heard that from him all I can say is he is not a bs-er whether he was BSed or not I can't say. All I know is the ride and cornering flatness is phenomenal for a heavy sedan. mine did come with the Hotchkiss sways I think that was the only mod he had made, that and upgraded brake pads.

the only mod I have made is putting oem RS4 wheels on it and I think the ride height is fine. but I personally really don't care that much about ride height Aesthetics unless it's really too high or unbalanced front to back. I am also a stickler 4 top quality performance tires in proper size and that too will certainly play in to suspension feell if you have junk or improper size

now if DRC started leaking and being a painIin the ass like I have heard a lot of I'm sure my opinion could change quickly. mine has never given me any problems. But I do also suppose the fact there was a warranty replacement is a bit of a strike against it from the get-go

Quote Originally Posted by shadyraven View Post
    Thanks for the input on the Hotchkis sways. Care to expand on how to fix the high-riding rear DRC problem?
    Many answers here, just takes time and effort, and cash sometimes...https://www.google.com/search?q=site...utf-8&oe=utf-8

Personally, I didn't want to keep messing with it, and the Koni Yellow struts on soft with stock RS6 springs has a great ride. Bit firmer than DRC, but no where near as harsh as KW's from my experience. Combined with the Hotchkis sways on stiff the cornering is awfully solid and level.

*** Not to derail but...***

I still have a functioning DRC, and came across this thread. http://www.rs6.com/showthread.php/25...on-your-RS6-C5. Post #8 from RSSIK's setup is amazing looking. He says later on he is running H&R springs on his DRC. Anyone else doing this? The shop I am using cautioned against this, but I can't stomach dumping 3k into coilovers just to drop an inch.

Pics of RSSIK's car for reference.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2012-09-29155449_zps84873336.jpg 
Views:	76 
Size:	70.1 KB 
ID:	17591  

I have run the H&R springs on one of the rides here and was NOT a fan. The front spings sagged after less than 2 months and made for an awful ride. Clearly not able to handle the increased weight of a 4.2 quattro. The rears were "OK", but subpar to base OEM. Put a couple of adults in the back along with some luggage after a run to the aerodrome to pick up some friends and the rears will sag also.... Beware.
    '02 S6 Avant Silver - Pokey | Carbon Black/Ebony RS6 w/ stuff - darn quick | '03 Daytona Grey/Ebony RS6 w/ more stuff - quicker yet | '91 NSX CDN issue with 6spd & BBSC - quicker yet and then some | '87 Buick GNX OEM clone w/ lots of stuff - quickest hands down

Thanks Biggelzworth. After much deliberation I am going with kw v3s.

Quote Originally Posted by mgmarsh39 View Post
    Thanks Biggelzworth. After much deliberation I am going with kw v3s.
    He said uber expensive, not uber good. The car I rode in, and other user complaints about stiffness and setup being a pain, I wouldn't go near them. But I also like a closer to stock ride. Look into H&R coil overs for half the cost. All depends on if you're into having a very stiff race car feel or not, personal preference for sure.

He said uber expensive, not uber good. The car I rode in, and other user complaints about stiffness and setup being a pain, I wouldn't go near them. But I also like a closer to stock ride. Look into H&R coil overs for half the cost. All depends on if you're into having a very stiff race car feel or not, personal preference for sure.
    Doesn't the adjustable dampening lessen the harsh ride?