Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Not as fast as I thought

Not as fast as I thought

I love my 03 RS6. I love that it's rare. I love the handling and build quality. I love the exhaust note and the list goes on; but I'm a bit underwhelmed by the power. I don't expect it to be as fast as my Mercedes CL600 with an ECU that pushes 650hp, but the way I was dusted from a standstill by a cls550 was painful to experience. My RS6 is stock with almost 80K and has no issues that I know of. I understand that the cls550 does 0-60 in 4.2ish but based on the specs it should have been a closer race. Granted I had a passenger and a trunk full of old LPs I was moving, but still it was no contest whatsoever. My question is whether there is anything that could be contributing to a significant power loss that I might look into. Maybe a blow off/diverter valve or something of that sort. My other question is how profound an increase in power (real world power like 0-60 times) would an ECU bring. The chip in my CL600 completely transformed the car without a doubt to the tune of more than 100 hp although that tranny can handle the load. At the end of the day, I didn't by the RS6 to drag race, but I'm used to being among the faster cars on the road and, in my untrained opinion, the RS6 does not live up to the hype of being superfast. Again, I still love the car and am happy in all other respects aside from off-the-line acceleration.
    Last edited by paperchase; July 21st, 2016 at 01:47.

Yeah, I was also underwhelmed by the twin turbo V8's lack of oomph. The 56 speed conversion helped, but not enough, so I bailed. A ECU tune makes a huge difference. Your enemy is heat soak as well. Only fix for that is Meth or don't drive it until cooler weather.

You're 100% stock? A good tune will change the car like you wouldn't believe. I thought my RS6 was quick...then got a tune.. HUGE difference. I bet a decent tune nets 60-75hp to the wheels.

ttboost, when you say you bailed, does that mean you sold it?

makaveli42, yes 100% stock.

Quote Originally Posted by paperchase View Post
    ttboost, when you say you bailed, does that mean you sold it?

makaveli42, yes 100% stock.
    You realize stock is slow as sh!t I'm 75hp and 125tq above stock level, and it's decent...well, fairly fast. You need w/m for heat soak, good gas, good temps, and also every leak/hose/detail buttoned up to get full potential.

Almost forgot, add water or snow to the drag race and see how they do...
    Ace/Edge TC - Tozo Trans - MTM TCU - REVO/ME7 tune - Wagner IC's w/ Venair Hoses - Aux Radiator delete - Hotchkis Sways - Hawk HPS Pads - Koni Sport Struts - Scroll KO4 Turbos - Devil's Own WM - 421whp/452wtq on Mustang Dyno - http://www.audirssix.com

Sounds like the stars were aligned when automotive publications were citing 4.2 and 4.3 second 0-60 times for our RS6. Do you think you post those times with the mods listed in your signature line?

By the way, I don't leak any fluids on the ground or burn any oil. I could have the hoses checked, but my mechanic drives the same car and thinks mine is an excellent example. I'm willing to try the 034 chip but with the cost of maintenance, I was expecting more upside than exclusivity. Can't justify a manual conversion given the overall operating costs and relative performance gains. My friend has a stock 2013 A8 and we pull pretty even.

Maybe I'm just overreacting to being walked on by a white cls550 and a middle-aged male driver playing "so you fancy huh". smh

? my car is stock and is fast! Why all the RS6 bashing?

At 4300 pounds it's heavy.....add some LP's to the trunk??? (get an iPod man, save lots of weight for music) and eject that passenger next time.

I also drove a 2013 A8 4.0 TT for 3 years and I found the RS6 about even with it, despite the better transmission and more Hp in the A8 (listed at 420, but it was more like 460 if not more...)

Mike
    '18 BMW M5, '19 Porsche Boxster GTS
    (prior '94 325is, '97 M3, '00 A6 4.2,'03 RS6,'08 A4 Cab,'13 A8L,'15 Q7,'16 BMW M2,

Quote Originally Posted by Aronis View Post
    ? my car is stock and is fast! Why all the RS6 bashing?

At 4300 pounds it's heavy.....add some LP's to the trunk??? (get an iPod man, save lots of weight for music) and eject that passenger next time.

I also drove a 2013 A8 4.0 TT for 3 years and I found the RS6 about even with it, despite the better transmission and more Hp in the A8 (listed at 420, but it was more like 460 if not more...)

Mike
    Don't mean to bash. I'm a recent buyer and I've wanted this car for about 10 years. One by one, I've had the chance to own many of the cars I once coveted but could not afford. At very high speeds the RS6 is very impressive and rock solid -- especially in a straight line. I'm just not believing the low 4 sec 0-60 times I read about that triggered this infantile-wantism.

On any given day......CLS 550 or CL600 on a wet day...see ya...bye....ricer with a big turbo....yea, he'll own your CL600.....but if I can only have ONE car....and....I only have the space for ONE car....yea, this is the one I chose....

If it gets heat soaked, yea it's a dog.....it can be REAL slow....it all depends n the mission....

As mentioned above temperatures make a yuuuge difference with this car. On a cool evening ( < 60' or so) it feels like a different car. When it's cold out ( < 40'), holy balls is it fast. I'm also 100% stock and I haven't driven one with W/M but I suspect that would help a lot when it's warmer. Once I have piles of cash laying around my plan is 6sp + ECU tune + W/M.

My "beater" RS6 was 12.60/113 in warm temps. 1.90 60ft times

All stock...stage 1 tune

115k miles

I didnt have time to tweek a few things but 12.20s were in the cards easy.

No cls550 on this planet makes a mess of my RS6s.

Co-worker w 2011 Grandsport vette w/mods pushing 470+hp has seen nothing but 13yr old RS6 tail lights at the track. Even the track announcer told him to give up. " you're never going to beat that Audi"

Learn to service your car to ensure its running at proper levels and install the proper stage 1 tune. These are 13yr old cars and old school tech. Understand the platform or pay someone that knows how to service the car to keep it in tune.

Done
    Last edited by DHall1; July 21st, 2016 at 04:46.

I just looked up 0-60 and 1/4 mile times of the cls550 with the twin turbo.

Its not even in the same zip code.

Get your car running right.....not as fast as you thought does not apply here.

Quote Originally Posted by DHall1 View Post
    I just looked up 0-60 and 1/4 mile times of the cls550 with the twin turbo.

Its not even in the same zip code.

Get your car running right.....not as fast as you thought does not apply here.
    How does your 13 550i compare to the RS6? My wife's stock 16 550i xdrive is pretty quick and is faster than a stock RS6.
    2003 Audi RS6 Daytona/Silver, 2012 Porsche 911 Turbo S, 2016 Golf R 6 MT, 2018 Porsche Macan GTS

Sounds like engine not running quite right or tranny slipping. I'd guess there is a high percentage of cars w/ 50~100K that have trannies slipping plus boost leaks (I'd bet almost every RS6 with over 50K has leaking Intercoolers and that usually doesn't throw a code).
    2003 White RS6 2013 Midnight Blue S5
    2013 Daytona RS5 2x944 Turbo's 1974 911 w/'91 3.6ltr motor
    Roy, WA

What year CLS? Maybe I'm looking at the wrong car here.

2012 CLS 550 Car and Driver review "The power is down from that of the CL—402 hp versus 429—as is torque, from 516 lb-ft to 443. These are still 20 more hp and 52 more lb-ft than the last-gen CLS550 offered, and the 4.7-liter goes like the clappers. Hitting 60 mph requires 4.2 seconds and the quarter passes in 12.8 at 112 mph."

seems as quick as a stock RS6
    Daytona Grey/ Ebony/Carbon | APR ECU/TCU | Wagner intercoolers, silicone hoses | Clampco T-bolts | APR axel back exhaust | Apikol MAF seal | 18x9.5 STR 609s | 265/35 Michelin PSS | Hotchkis sway bars |

Quote Originally Posted by RS Sick View Post
    What year CLS? Maybe I'm looking at the wrong car here.

2012 CLS 550 Car and Driver review "The power is down from that of the CL—402 hp versus 429—as is torque, from 516 lb-ft to 443. These are still 20 more hp and 52 more lb-ft than the last-gen CLS550 offered, and the 4.7-liter goes like the clappers. Hitting 60 mph requires 4.2 seconds and the quarter passes in 12.8 at 112 mph."

seems as quick as a stock RS6
    Yes, that's the one.

Quote Originally Posted by paperchase View Post
    Yes, that's the one.
    Stock RS6 should be a tiny bit slower to 60, but faster in the quarter.

Quote Originally Posted by hahnmgh63 View Post
    Sounds like engine not running quite right or tranny slipping. I'd guess there is a high percentage of cars w/ 50~100K that have trannies slipping plus boost leaks (I'd bet almost every RS6 with over 50K has leaking Intercoolers and that usually doesn't throw a code).
    My tranny does not slip at all. I did get a torque converter stuck position code a few months ago that went away without resetting. Can't comment on boost leaks, but I do know what a 4.2 0-60 feels like. Maybe there's heat soak, leaking intercoolers and a plethora of other small issues that have yet to be identified. It honestly feels like a 5 sec car right now. I'm willing to do an ECU upgrade -- I already run 93 octane without exception in all my cars. I'm willing to try w/m perhaps thereafter. I'm willing to do whatever maintenance is necessary to restore to spec. I'm not willing to heavily modify the car, although I'm impressed with the 6 speed conversions and other mods I've read about in this informative forum. Turn key is important to me and I appreciate the limitation in this platform, this transmission and just by virtue of being all-wheel drive. I signed up for this. I understood the risks. I may have miscalculated the upside; but that is yet to be determined.

This is a dedicated group of enthusiasts here and I'm proud to join the fray. If anyone is in the Philadelphia area don't hesitate to reach out. I have a nagging suspension problem on drivers front where there is ridiculous creaking over bumps and turns after the car is driven or idles for about 20 minutes. That time used to be 35 minutes. I'm assuming control arm but don't know. Wait, I'm hijacking my own thread.