Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Not as fast as I thought

Quote Originally Posted by paperchase View Post
    I have a nagging suspension problem on drivers front where there is ridiculous creaking over bumps and turns after
    Almost certainly upper control arms.

Sounds like the stars were aligned when automotive publications were citing 4.2 and 4.3 second 0-60 times for our RS6. Do you think you post those times with the mods listed in your signature line?
    ~4.4 0-60 with slow takeoff...10 second 0-100. Car just had intercoolers buttoned up...notice it's 50 degrees out though...50 more hp/tq! Heatsoak is a killer...water meth helps a ton.

Ace/Edge TC - Tozo Trans - MTM TCU - REVO/ME7 tune - Wagner IC's w/ Venair Hoses - Aux Radiator delete - Hotchkis Sways - Hawk HPS Pads - Koni Sport Struts - Scroll KO4 Turbos - Devil's Own WM - 421whp/452wtq on Mustang Dyno - http://www.audirssix.com

Its fast for sure. Cant really say over a stock RS6 because none of mine are stock

Its comfortable and fast for my hwy commute. The driving dynamics do not compare to the RS6

I dont want to say its my beater but it is. Lol

Btw....if you keep your RS6 and wish to update the performance....remove that apr chip for a better tune. I wish your car were closer to me. I would be tempted.

Quote Originally Posted by Cmnair View Post
    How does your 13 550i compare to the RS6? My wife's stock 16 550i xdrive is pretty quick and is faster than a stock RS6.
    Last edited by DHall1; July 21st, 2016 at 18:14.

I have seen times quoted all over the map for the 12-15 cls550

I doubt the joe blow at the stoplight can hit a 4.2 12.80

Even if he could....13 yr old tail lights is all he would see of my cars.

Quote Originally Posted by RS Sick View Post
    What year CLS? Maybe I'm looking at the wrong car here.

2012 CLS 550 Car and Driver review "The power is down from that of the CL—402 hp versus 429—as is torque, from 516 lb-ft to 443. These are still 20 more hp and 52 more lb-ft than the last-gen CLS550 offered, and the 4.7-liter goes like the clappers. Hitting 60 mph requires 4.2 seconds and the quarter passes in 12.8 at 112 mph."

seems as quick as a stock RS6

Quote Originally Posted by DHall1 View Post
    Btw....if you keep your RS6 and wish to update the performance....remove that apr chip for a better tune. I wish your car were closer to me. I would be tempted.
    yeah looks like I am keeping it...car is perfect now and I may as well enjoy it I got a set of genuine Euro RS6 wheels (will powder coat Titan Grey) which which go on the car in the winter. What other tune would you suggest? I thought APR was one of the better ones. I really don't have issues with the tune. I just don't want to beat on the car...afraid something will break.
    2003 Audi RS6 Daytona/Silver, 2012 Porsche 911 Turbo S, 2016 Golf R 6 MT, 2018 Porsche Macan GTS

Quote Originally Posted by RS Sick View Post
    What year CLS? Maybe I'm looking at the wrong car here.

2012 CLS 550 Car and Driver review "The power is down from that of the CL—402 hp versus 429—as is torque, from 516 lb-ft to 443. These are still 20 more hp and 52 more lb-ft than the last-gen CLS550 offered, and the 4.7-liter goes like the clappers. Hitting 60 mph requires 4.2 seconds and the quarter passes in 12.8 at 112 mph."

seems as quick as a stock RS6
    I know you said quick since stock RS6 quarter mile time is supposed to be 12.6 ish so your statement is accurate..however, no stock RS6 is trapping 112 in the quarter
    Last edited by Cmnair; July 22nd, 2016 at 00:15.
    2003 Audi RS6 Daytona/Silver, 2012 Porsche 911 Turbo S, 2016 Golf R 6 MT, 2018 Porsche Macan GTS

OP seemed surprised by the CLS550, but vs. a bone stock RS it's seems like a formidable opponent.

Sorted, tuned, sportec vented, aces iv running RS would walk it in real world conditions.
    Daytona Grey/ Ebony/Carbon | APR ECU/TCU | Wagner intercoolers, silicone hoses | Clampco T-bolts | APR axel back exhaust | Apikol MAF seal | 18x9.5 STR 609s | 265/35 Michelin PSS | Hotchkis sway bars |

I guess it depends what your expectations are. Stock RS6s run very high 12 second quarter-mile times in most cases. Stock CLS 550 is at least as quick if not quicker and certainly 5+ mph faster in the quarter mile.

C5 RS6 is also now 13 years old, so its performance isn't as impressive when compared to newer cars.

My tranny does not slip at all. I did get a torque converter stuck position code a few months ago that went away without resetting. .
    Is this an original torque converter? Don't know what stuck position means, and the torque converter is kinda important on the launch ... and a weak point. Might be worth having a pro check it out.

Originally Posted by paperchase My tranny does not slip at all. I did get a torque converter stuck position code a few months ago that went away without resetting. .

Quote Originally Posted by Urbo View Post
    Is this an original torque converter? Don't know what stuck position means, and the torque converter is kinda important on the launch ... and a weak point. Might be worth having a pro check it out.
    Honestly, you might not know that trans is slipping until it goes kaboom...along with power transfer issues as stated about the TC...

Related, read an interesting article testing the power of a 15 year old M3, was down about 15% for various reasons.
    Ace/Edge TC - Tozo Trans - MTM TCU - REVO/ME7 tune - Wagner IC's w/ Venair Hoses - Aux Radiator delete - Hotchkis Sways - Hawk HPS Pads - Koni Sport Struts - Scroll KO4 Turbos - Devil's Own WM - 421whp/452wtq on Mustang Dyno - http://www.audirssix.com

Clearly

That car in the distance is me....that 2011 Grandsport vette getting his hat handed to him is my coworker.

He was not impressed at all.

Quote Originally Posted by ZCD2.7T View Post
    I guess it depends what your expectations are. Stock RS6s run very high 12 second quarter-mile times in most cases. Stock CLS 550 is at least as quick if not quicker and certainly 5+ mph faster in the quarter mile.

C5 RS6 is also now 13 years old, so its performance isn't as impressive when compared to newer cars.

Dave good work there ......but you beat the driver. Stock LS3 Grandsport traps in the mid teens and you said the car was modified a little?

...That car in the distance is me....
    Yep, and if it was me in the other lane in my C7 S6, chances are I'd be leading you...

Look, no offense intended. C5 RS6s are quick, but there are many "lesser" cars these days that are as quick or quicker.

The game has moved on, as it always does.

How did you know? LOL

Me with .06 reaction time....every time. + a Grandsport vette with marginal traction = RS6 as you see it miles out on the vette. Yes, he could trap at 115 but I was long gone every time...he could not catch me. Hehe, real world results.

My point to the crowd is this....don't make blanket statements such as these cars are not impressive and or time has moved on. BS

I can push my cars to high 11s if the need would present itself and they perform like a fine swiss watch. There is no CLS550 that would make a joke of my cars from a stoplight.

And the new C7 S6 owner better cut a .00 light or this old C5 might stay out front. LOL

Quote Originally Posted by Cmnair View Post
    Dave good work there ......but you beat the driver. Stock LS3 Grandsport traps in the mid teens and you said the car was modified a little?

Dave it works the other way too, we may be making blanket statements about "how competitive these cars still are". You are a great driver and your cars are spot on but more often than not the RS6 is going to lose to these newer cars. The RS6 is a great car, maybe even an iconic one but the reality is that the outdated auto tranny and difficulty in launching will hold it back. I see tons of time slips on here with modified RS6s barely matching magazine stock times. Again, you and your cars are an exception but what I am saying is true for the majority of the RS6s on the road today. Don't get me wrong, I love the car, the best part about the car is the way it builds up speed on the highway, but others (even regular cars) have caught up in terms of off the line and quarter mile. Too much new tech now with faster shifting autos, dct and launch control.

I generally don't make claims that I raced this that or the other car. But when someone comes on and posts misinformation or their cars lack of performance.....I will clarify what these cars can do if you maintain them properly and mod them to a reasonable degree. Many long term forum members have RS6s running in top form and in top form the car makes no excuses. Even at 13yrs old.

I get the new tech but just having the "new tech" does not guarantee success in a real world situation. ie my good buddy with the Grandsport vette.

Beware of the sneaky old veteran that knows how to get a car down the track.

The "Marginal Traction" is a great point.

All the latest BMW's with AWD are faster than their RWD stable mates......case in point 340 ix vs non-Ix 4.6 vs 4.8 from BMW's own data.

The RS6 does not fail to put a smile on my face. And with new turbos, etc, I think it's back to new like performance. ...

As far as the new S6 vs RS6, D'ooh.....same hp numbers, better transmission, I'd expect the newer S6 to win.

Mike
    '18 BMW M5, '19 Porsche Boxster GTS
    (prior '94 325is, '97 M3, '00 A6 4.2,'03 RS6,'08 A4 Cab,'13 A8L,'15 Q7,'16 BMW M2,

I generally don't make claims that I raced this that or the other car. But when someone comes on and posts misinformation or their cars lack of performance.....I will clarify what these cars can do if you maintain them properly and mod them to a reasonable degree. Many long term forum members have RS6s running in top form and in top form the car makes no excuses. Even at 13yrs old.

I get the new tech but just having the "new tech" does not guarantee success in a real world situation. ie my good buddy with the Grandsport vette.

Beware of the sneaky old veteran that knows how to get a car down the track.
    I actually don't think the OP posted misinformation. His experience with his stock RS6 is quite realistic.