Thread: Potentially buying a RS6, want to do a 6mt swap

Exclamation Potentially buying a RS6, want to do a 6mt swap

Hey Guys,

New the forums here. I have my eyes on this 2003 RS6 at a shop near my house. Needs some work, but nothing crazy. I am intrigued with the thought of a 6mt swap in it. I have done some reading, and it seems like the mechanical aspect of the swap wont be what worries me, more the electrical and coding aspect of it. Anyone who has successfully done the swap, have any information on what it takes to correctly do the swap?

Thanks guy!

There are numerous threads on here, use a google search and "site: rs6.com" and search steveken kit, or rs6 swap, and once you find one thread you'll find links to others. Where are you located? Is this car at the shop actually for sale?
    RS6 #1 904959, Daytona, Silver, tons of "stuff," went through puddle, dead engine, end of #1 for me, rebuilt by local enthusiast and thriving.
    RS6 #2 904568, Avus, Ebony, no stuff, stock minus RNS-E.

I'm in New York, its actually at my uncles shop, and the owner from what i understand is fed up with the car (replaced the TCM, a few months ago, needs to be replaced again). I think he wants to get rid of it, so i can probably get it for a good price. I have read about SteveKen's kit that he sells, but i haven't seen a part about coding the ecu. I will search some more! Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Hagzflow View Post
    I'm in New York, its actually at my uncles shop, and the owner from what i understand is fed up with the car (replaced the TCM, a few months ago, needs to be replaced again). I think he wants to get rid of it, so i can probably get it for a good price. I have read about SteveKen's kit that he sells, but i haven't seen a part about coding the ecu. I will search some more! Thanks
    What part of NY, Brooklyn? You can send the ECU and TCU off to AMD in Washington to get the coding cleaned up. Figure the swap, parts, coding extra things that should be cleaned up, around $10k for a well sorted swap.

As mentioned, use the Google search trick, lots of threads on this.
    Ace/Edge TC - Tozo Trans - MTM TCU - REVO/ME7 tune - Wagner IC's w/ Venair Hoses - Aux Radiator delete - Hotchkis Sways - Hawk HPS Pads - Koni Sport Struts - Scroll KO4 Turbos - Devil's Own WM - 421whp/452wtq on Mustang Dyno - http://www.audirssix.com

You can't "recode" an RS6 ECU, it needs to be modified much more thoroughly. I've done quite a few, feel free to PM me for details.

Electrically you will need to re-wire the reverse lights header, bypass starter relay, wire clutch switch to pin 39 in the ECU.
    ABS unit can be retained if you keep the TCU connected (and modify ECU code accordingly) or needs to be swapped to the S6 or passat W8 one if you want to get rid of TCU altogether.

Quote Originally Posted by nubcake View Post
    You can't "recode" an RS6 ECU, it needs to be modified much more thoroughly. I've done quite a few, feel free to PM me for details.

Electrically you will need to re-wire the reverse lights header, bypass starter relay, wire clutch switch to pin 39 in the ECU.
    ABS unit can be retained if you keep the TCU connected (and modify ECU code accordingly) or needs to be swapped to the S6 or passat W8 one if you want to get rid of TCU altogether.
    Cool! If and when I do go ahead with the swap, I will for sure get in touch with you! I appreciate the help.

Or just buy this one and save yourself the headache...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Audi-RS6-aud...m=131880770995

Quote Originally Posted by ttboost View Post
    Or just buy this one and save yourself the headache...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Audi-RS6-aud...m=131880770995
    Should I dig up the photos of the engine block being ground down to bolt up the trans?
    Ace/Edge TC - Tozo Trans - MTM TCU - REVO/ME7 tune - Wagner IC's w/ Venair Hoses - Aux Radiator delete - Hotchkis Sways - Hawk HPS Pads - Koni Sport Struts - Scroll KO4 Turbos - Devil's Own WM - 421whp/452wtq on Mustang Dyno - http://www.audirssix.com

Quote Originally Posted by lswing View Post
    Should I dig up the photos of the engine block being ground down to bolt up the trans?
    don't have to dig too far

http://www.rs6.com/showthread.php/32...-do-need-help?

With AMD's manual tune you keep the RS6 ABS module, get rid of the TCU and all works fine. Scotty at http://advancedautomotion.com/shop/p...roducts_id/314 can get you a good deal on most of the hard parts but you will probably be wanting to replace a lot of wear and tear items while you're in there plus you will need Steve Ken's kit and a clutch.
    2003 White RS6 2013 Midnight Blue S5
    2013 Daytona RS5 2x944 Turbo's 1974 911 w/'91 3.6ltr motor
    Roy, WA

I sent you a PM on this. I've got a lot of information I can send to you.
    2012 Q7 TDI S-Line - 2010 GTI - 2007 A3 3.2 S-Line - 2003 RS6
    2001 Honda S2000 - 1977 Honda CBR 750-F2 - 1965 GMC 1500 WideSide

Quote Originally Posted by hahnmgh63 View Post
    With AMD's manual tune you keep the RS6 ABS module, get rid of the TCU and all works fine.
    I've wanted to implement that for a long time already, will get it done soon'ish as well then.

Thanks for the information guys! I am in the process of speaking with the owner to secure the purchase. when i end up buying it i will be starting to look more seriously into this!

Another completed swap with some goodies is available. +1 for saving yourself the headache. Unless you just want a project the market is sooo low on these it's not worth doing it yourself if you can snag one already done.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Audi-RS6/112..._qi=RTM2247627
    03 RS6 Avus/Ebony #905593 resurrected 6MT, 04 Avalanche Z71, 87 T-Bird Turbo Coupe (351W T5), 04 Aprilia RSVR Factory

Quote Originally Posted by bethridg View Post
    Another completed swap with some goodies is available. +1 for saving yourself the headache. Unless you just want a project the market is sooo low on these it's not worth doing it yourself if you can snag one already done.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Audi-RS6/112..._qi=RTM2247627
    I'm betting that's 716YETI's car being flipped by whomever bought it from him for $10k
    2012 Q7 TDI S-Line - 2010 GTI - 2007 A3 3.2 S-Line - 2003 RS6
    2001 Honda S2000 - 1977 Honda CBR 750-F2 - 1965 GMC 1500 WideSide

Quote Originally Posted by SteveKen View Post
    I'm betting that's 716YETI's car being flipped by whomever bought it from him for $10k
    You are absolutely correct. I knew I recognized the car but couldn't put my finger on it. Still blows my mind it went for that but cash talks...
    03 RS6 Avus/Ebony #905593 resurrected 6MT, 04 Avalanche Z71, 87 T-Bird Turbo Coupe (351W T5), 04 Aprilia RSVR Factory