Thread: Passenger cam chain tensioner gasket...almost dun

Passenger cam chain tensioner gasket...almost dun

Firstly, I read an old post where someone said this is possible with a little finesse. That person is either a serious knuckle-dragger, or they don't work on their own car.

I did not have to loosen the cams. A word of caution when using the compression tool. The bolt on mine bottomed out on the head before it was compressed enough. Keep an eye on it, and finish compressing with the tensioner loose.
    Remove a ton of stuff.

Lift and support the fuel rails by about 2", and bend the metal coolant pipe out by about 3".

The real problem. The vacuum unit covers 2 of the tensioner bolts. There's no hope of getting to the back of the head. So...
    Remove the allen bolt holding the upper bracket on the vacuum unit above the cam chain tensioner. I had a good nights sleep trying to figure out how. I considered unbolting the sub-frame and sliding the motor forward to get to the freakin' bastard. Finally, I used a quarter drive racket, 5mm socket, and 5mm allen cut off to fit. Then using fingertips I could drop it in place, slide a cheater bar over the end, and move it about an inch. I did this about 12-15 times not knowing I was actually moving the bolt. I was super happy to feel a loose washer when I looked for another method. I finished loosening the allen head with an 18" 45deg needle nose plier. I pried the unit back with a pry bar until I heard a crack...just enough. Hopefully, I didn't break anything. Notice one tensioner bolt still cannot be removed until you loosen and tip the tensioner.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	CCT loose.jpg 
Views:	120 
Size:	66.8 KB 
ID:	17542

A molded piece of silicone used in a completely wrong way. Seriously, come on.

Name:	Half moon seal.JPG 
Views:	131 
Size:	24.9 KB 
ID:	17543

Hey, I work on it a month ago, it's definitely a PITA. I manage to unbolt egr completely, not with out unharmed fingers though.

Name:	9328.jpg 
Views:	124 
Size:	68.1 KB 
ID:	17545

Nice job! I can't even imagine trying to get to the back of the head like that.

Strange thing is, I don't have any scabs from this project

I broke my cam chain tool, so I grabbed it and shoved it hard enough to get the new gasket in. Yes, the EGR was the worse. I have a tiny leak back there but not from the halfmoon, I think its a cracked valve cover or something because its dry back there, but runs down to the rear of the airpump line and its always moist. PIA!

I heard it was easy...but my mechanic charged me 15 hours, so maybe not. Passenger side is way back there, make sure to do it right the first time.
    Ace/Edge TC - Tozo Trans - MTM TCU - REVO/ME7 tune - Wagner IC's w/ Venair Hoses - Aux Radiator delete - Hotchkis Sways - Hawk HPS Pads - Koni Sport Struts - Scroll KO4 Turbos - Devil's Own WM - 421whp/452wtq on Mustang Dyno - http://www.audirssix.com

After getting parts from the dealer installed and the car started she was making nasty noises. I was thinking I screwed up something on the intake cam causing rattling and drag on the timing belt. Re-started it the following day, and all was quiet. Then it got really freakin' quiet (the motor died and no electrical at all). She's not charging. So, I have an alternator and a couple tools on the way.

How you know that your alternator not working? Is your battery dead? If you do a jump start can you crank the engine? I think electrical problem.

Andriy

4 starts after the initial joy:

Charged battery overnight. Started on its own, idled for 15 minutes, got 4 blocks from the house and noticed 12v dropping to 11v, turned around, and died 2.5 blocks from the house. I had assumed I drained the battery sitting for 2 weeks, but not so much.

Jump started and left connected for 10 minutes. Got me to the base of the driveway before it dropped to 8v and died.

Jumped it and left connected for 2-3 minutes to get in the garage...died rolling in.

Charged it for an hour or so. Started on its own, idled fine for about 10 minutes, then voltage started dropping from 12V to 10V, and I turned it off.

At no point has she tried to hit 14V. I noticed the regulator part number discussion. For the effort, I'm replacing the scuzzy looking alternator. Seems like good bet. I keep telling myself it was bound to happen, and it's a blessing it happened in the garage.

After the half moon joys, I'm not in a half full mood...thar's a quote