Thread: Ringer Racing Stage 4 Clutch review

Ringer Racing Stage 4 Clutch review

Initial impressions (10 miles on it)

The pedal is so light I can push it with one finger. I thought the slave cylinder blew when I first depressed it. Grab is like a stock clutch. My Southbend clutches and Sachs racing clutch in my UrS6 were very hard to modulate in traffic with the on-off feel of it. This literally feels like driving a new civic. It is rated to 700 lbs of torque. Mike at Ringer was great and got the clutch built and to me the next day. He explained different friction materials, clamping forces, etc. and when I got of the phone--after talking for a week to everyone I could about a clutch choice--I finally felt like this was the right one. Before speaking with him I had been resigned to the idea that if the clutch was going to hold it was going to be a bitch to drive. I couldn't be happier with this one so far. I'll report back about the longevity and holding power when it gets some more mileage on it.

Very interested in a further report!! Keep us posted.
    RS6 #1, 01E, 2.5" straight pipes, AMD Stage 1 6MT tune, 460awhp/530awtq on AMD's Mustang dyno. TOTALLED.. RS6 #2, Ebony Black Pearl on black/silver combination with carbon, up and running with 6 gears and AMD tune.

Congrats!

So rated to 700 ft lbs... Wheel or crank?

And P1054, what happened to your manual RS6?
    2001 S4 Avant 6mt: AMD tuned, Stasis Streetsports.
    2003 RS6 Sedan 6mt: AMD tuned, 515awhp/635awtq, PSS9's, 4:1 Diff
    2006 Carrera S 6mt: EvoMS tuned, Sharkwerkes Exhaust, Numeric shifter, Fuchs Reps

Quote Originally Posted by Avus-RS6 View Post
    Congrats!

So rated to 700 ft lbs... Wheel or crank?

And P1054, what happened to your manual RS6?
    I assume crank. But who knows how these things are rated. When I spoke to Southbend they said they under rate theirs. I wouldn't assume that any of these ratings are all that accurate.

Dredging this post up for an update fro UrS6.. Any comments now that you've had it for a few months?
    RS6 #1, 01E, 2.5" straight pipes, AMD Stage 1 6MT tune, 460awhp/530awtq on AMD's Mustang dyno. TOTALLED.. RS6 #2, Ebony Black Pearl on black/silver combination with carbon, up and running with 6 gears and AMD tune.

I'm at about 4000 miles. It is butter. Two issues I have:

1. There is some notchiness that was there before and after putting this clutch in,
    2. During VERY spirited driving the pedal returns just a bit slower than my foot which is strange.

i attribute both to the slave or clutch hose. Ringer suggested the slow return could be due to the PP spring design. I won't know until I put in the new hose/slave. But driving it is a pleasure--truly almost like stock--and I have no slippage...yet.

If the clutch hose is routed improperly - it can get heated up by the turbo and fluid can boil. Extreme case - the hose will burn through.
    This could contribute to the "slow return" or "hard to re-engage the gear" issue, especially after a spirited run.

UrS6, any more input on the Ringer Racing clutch? Did you get the hose/slave replaced?

Also, what exactly did you mean by "notchiness" in your previous post?

Still in awe of those who have done this conversion!

Mike
    '18 BMW M5, '19 Porsche Boxster GTS
    (prior '94 325is, '97 M3, '00 A6 4.2,'03 RS6,'08 A4 Cab,'13 A8L,'15 Q7,'16 BMW M2,

Looking for a follow up to this OP! looks like a conversion is on the horizon and need ot make a call on what to pickup.

I'd like to hear a follow up review as well! I ended up going with a Spec Stage 3+ my second time around and I really like it. I wouldn't hesitate to recommend it to anyone looking to do the manual conversion. The pedal feel isn't Civic-light, but I think it feels really good for the car, and engagement is smooth and predictable.

Quote Originally Posted by P1054 View Post
    I'd like to hear a follow up review as well! I ended up going with a Spec Stage 3+ my second time around and I really like it. I wouldn't hesitate to recommend it to anyone looking to do the manual conversion. The pedal feel isn't Civic-light, but I think it feels really good for the car, and engagement is smooth and predictable.
    Used spec 3+ for my first (stock turbos) car, liked it very much as well.

Also, OP sold his car a few months ago, if I'm not mistaken.

Quote Originally Posted by nubcake View Post
    Used spec 3+ for my first (stock turbos) car, liked it very much as well.

Also, OP sold his car a few months ago, if I'm not mistaken.
    I just came across this. I’m not on here anymore. Got an S8 with an APR tune and never looked back. The ringer started to slip (first one and the second one) and I sold the car discounted to someone who would replace the clutch. Looking back I never would have done a 6 speed. I put in I don’t know how many clutches and they all slipped. Not sure if it was the clutch or something else. It was just years of disappointment and tens of thousands of dollars. My S8 is reliable and crazy fast. And I don’t have time now for playthings.