Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Head Light left On Buzzer? Am I remembering correctly?

Head Light left On Buzzer? Am I remembering correctly?

Since my repair if I leave the head lights on, there is no buzzer. I recall there was one? Can anyone confirm? We had the dash apart and were looking for bad relays. Perhaps the buzzer got unplugged?

Maybe there never was such a warning buzzer?

All my other cars now have the auto headlights.

Had some friends in my RS out for dinner last night and they were marveling at the fact that the car has ash trays and a cigarette lighter in the rear LOL>

Mike
    '18 BMW M5, '19 Porsche Boxster GTS
    (prior '94 325is, '97 M3, '00 A6 4.2,'03 RS6,'08 A4 Cab,'13 A8L,'15 Q7,'16 BMW M2,

Yes, there is a "bong" when the lights are left on.

I miss my Bong....
    (prior '94 325is, '97 M3, '00 A6 4.2,'03 RS6,'08 A4 Cab,'13 A8L,'15 Q7,'16 BMW M2,

meh, i'd leave well enough alone honestly!

Does the dome light come on when you open the door? If not (and no headlight-on chime), the microswitch in the latch may be toast. The little rubber/silicone cover over the switch tears and wears a groove in the actuating cam. It's a pain to get to.
    RS6 - Mugello Blue/Silver, still on DRC and hope to keep it that way... Added RNS-E
    '73 Jensen Healey, Lotus 907-Powered

I am leaving well enough alone. LOL......

Mike

Mine has never dinged haha. Always thought it should have some warning

i actually looked this morning, for what it is worth, the key and the light ding/dongs are actually different. One was constant and one was an intermittent chime, of diff sounds.
    RS6 #1 904959, Daytona, Silver, tons of "stuff," went through puddle, dead engine, end of #1 for me, rebuilt by local enthusiast and thriving.
    RS6 #2 904568, Avus, Ebony, no stuff, stock minus RNS-E.

So, I left the GD lights on and came out to a dead battery! D'ooh, Allstate roadside to the rescue, quick jump, back on the road.

I have taken the time to trouble shoot, web search etc. Turns out that it is probably just a switch in the door. When I open the drivers side door, the foot well light does not come on and the curtesy light on the door does not light up. Works fine for the other three doors. From what I have read that is a common issue and is a $3.00 part. Can anyone point me to that part?

Thank you,

Mike

(and Iswing my car is not slow.....) LOL

Quote Originally Posted by Aronis View Post
    So, I left the GD lights on and came out to a dead battery! D'ooh, Allstate roadside to the rescue, quick jump, back on the road.

I have taken the time to trouble shoot, web search etc. Turns out that it is probably just a switch in the door. When I open the drivers side door, the foot well light does not come on and the curtesy light on the door does not light up. Works fine for the other three doors. From what I have read that is a common issue and is a $3.00 part. Can anyone point me to that part?

Thank you,

Mike

(and Iswing my car is not slow.....) LOL
    I never said it was slow...just not as fast as it should be...or could be...or wants to be...but then again, you don't have to worry about breaking transmissions as quick!

Do a full VCDS scan, I bet it comes up. I have a rear door sensor that is out, and if I leave the door open I think I can still lock the car and have it arm, ha! Just found out through messing around though to see what the sensor fault actually did.
    Ace/Edge TC - Tozo Trans - MTM TCU - REVO/ME7 tune - Wagner IC's w/ Venair Hoses - Aux Radiator delete - Hotchkis Sways - Hawk HPS Pads - Koni Sport Struts - Scroll KO4 Turbos - Devil's Own WM - 421whp/452wtq on Mustang Dyno - http://www.audirssix.com

The micro switch isn't listed separately, so you'd have to find a match on digikey or somewhere. I repaired mine, the silicone cover on the part that contacts the cam tears and cuts a groove. It's not hard, just fiddly, to get to. Actually, you'll have to fill the groove anyway, so you may be better off picking up a new/used latch from fleabay. Pick up a used one originally installed in the rear door and it'll probably last for years. Remove the inner trim (a few screws), remove the window frame and glass (it's one unit; match mark everything so you can put it back together without creating fit and wind noise issues), remove the clips that hold the outside key lock and handle, remove the latch.

The other possibility is a broken wire or poor connection inside the accordion where it passes through from the door to the passenger compartment. I seem to recall there's a connector in there.
    RS6 - Mugello Blue/Silver, still on DRC and hope to keep it that way... Added RNS-E
    '73 Jensen Healey, Lotus 907-Powered

I an going to by pass that switch with a magnetic switch in the door jam, like the old days. That will be easier... I'll post photos and results.
    Thank you for the information.

Mike

(running to junk yard to see if the A6's I have taken parts from are still there to get a lock-mechanism . Good chance to learn how to disassembly the door LOL)

So, I found the part (4B1-837-015-H-VAG) at Hansautoparts for $33.00 vs Pelican parts for $325.00, can that be real? Or some sick joke...so I ordered it from Audi for $25,000....LOL.....

Part $33, shipping $8., Adventure of taking door apart, Priceless!

I'd just hire someone to sit in the car, and bong if you leave the lights on.

I did this before, it's doable. Check this video, door is identical. Don't forget to mark four bolts that hold window frame, cuz it would be easier to align later.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Cid-HT3x1kQ

Andriy

Quote Originally Posted by mgmarsh39 View Post
    I'd just hire someone to sit in the car, and bong if you leave the lights on.
    LOL, or just disconnect the head lights!

Quote Originally Posted by AndyRS6 View Post
    I did this before, it's doable. Check this video, door is identical. Don't forget to mark four bolts that hold window frame, cuz it would be easier to align later.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Cid-HT3x1kQ

Andriy
    Thank you so much. That's perfect, I tried to find a video before and found a multipart one that was missing parts. LOL....

I have had the door card off before (couple times) to fix the top edge. The rest of the door looked straight forward. It will be fine.

I was happy to find the part for so little LOL.

Mike

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	RS6 Door Lock.jpg 
Views:	103 
Size:	41.0 KB 
ID:	17584

Son of a Bitch, Bastards Ass, No GOOD LYING SACK OF SHIT!

I knew you did not have to remove the )(*&@)(_*#% window.

I am going to youtube post negative comment LOL...

Ya ya it MAY be easier to do without the window carrier in the way....

Good DAM IT!....

Mike