Thread: Questions on What to do if TC is going bad

Questions on What to do if TC is going bad

Hi guys, I have a 03 RS6 with 44k on it now. Its been trouble free generally. Replaced the emission hoses, and a few sensors. Just got my first TC error code p1624. A few weeks ago the transmission gave me a clunk and the cars computer went out until I reset it. Not sure its related. I cleared the codes. Drives fine for now. Its a low VIN # so I suspect the TC life will be short. Question: If it is the TC, what else should I do besides replace the TC? The car is bone stock except for a set of 19 BBS wheels. What has to happen to get to the TC? Should I replace the O2 sensors if it makes them easier to get to them? Is there a brand of TC that is superior to OEM? Does driving a TC on its way out damage the transmission? Looking for any help / guidance on what to do if it TC gives me more codes or effects the drivability in any way? I really like the car and plan to keep it for another 40k or so. Since I put 6k per year that a long time. I don't mind spending a little money to maintain it. Just want to do everything efficiently.

Thanks for your help
    Mike
    2001 M5 / Missed Dearly - 1995 993 Porsche / Missed - 2004 996 Porsche / Not Missed - 1999 M3 / Not Missed - 2001 MCoupe / Recently Departed - 2003 RS6 - Current

Many threads on subject.

I would replace the trans...i will have one for you very soon.....i need the core

Do i have your vin on file?

Good luck

Vin #wuap-v64b-13n9-04934. Will need to think about if transmission will be replaced.
    2001 M5 / Missed Dearly - 1995 993 Porsche / Missed - 2004 996 Porsche / Not Missed - 1999 M3 / Not Missed - 2001 MCoupe / Recently Departed - 2003 RS6 - Current

I replaced the TC on my 40k Daytona.

2 weeks later I replaced the TC and transmission.

Your mileage may vary

I will have a new Audi updated trans w40k miles in a few weeks. Coming out for a built up 517 trans.

This was on page 2, about the same subject. http://www.rs6.com/showthread.php/32...rque-Converter

Most new TC's are of same quality, trans varies by builder. Do both now...

Sensors vary, I've replaced good old ones, only to have a new one fail. So not the biggest fan on replacing if not failing...take a look over all seals and hoses, vacuum lines, maybe replace some.
    Ace/Edge TC - Tozo Trans - MTM TCU - REVO/ME7 tune - Wagner IC's w/ Venair Hoses - Aux Radiator delete - Hotchkis Sways - Hawk HPS Pads - Koni Sport Struts - Scroll KO4 Turbos - Devil's Own WM - 421whp/452wtq on Mustang Dyno - http://www.audirssix.com

Quote Originally Posted by DHall1 View Post
    I replaced the TC on my 80k Mugello Blue.

8 months later I replaced the TC and transmission.

Your mileage may vary
    This is how my mileage varied...
    Ace/Edge TC - Tozo Trans - MTM TCU - REVO/ME7 tune - Wagner IC's w/ Venair Hoses - Aux Radiator delete - Hotchkis Sways - Hawk HPS Pads - Koni Sport Struts - Scroll KO4 Turbos - Devil's Own WM - 421whp/452wtq on Mustang Dyno - http://www.audirssix.com