Thread: Vettes-4-Vets event at Talladega Superspeedway

Vettes-4-Vets event at Talladega Superspeedway

My son & I drove at a fundraising event this Memorial Day weekend at Talladega Superspeedway with Vettes-4-Vets. We lined up at the gates for about an hour before going to the bays- I was the only Audi, the only other German "car" was a BMW X5, & there were only a couple of other sedans (a couple of CTSVs). Some elderly guy (I'm 60 so he was very old since he was a good bit older than I am) came up to us while we were waiting in line & asked me if I thought I could keep up with all the Vettes- of course I said "Hell yes!". It was a lonely feeling with about 200 Vettes- there were a good number of Camaros, too. I tried to represent the RS6 nation well.

I am not a big NASCAR fan, but it was really cool driving on the track. After leaving pit road the first time you really felt like you were going to fall off the 33 degree banking in Turn 1 & 2- anything below 70 mph you had to counter-steer to stay up on the track- 90-100 mph was pretty neutral. You had to really hit it about halfway thru T1-2 to pick up speed for the back straight but you always had to really brake hard to keep from hitting the cars in front that were slowing down for Turn 3. I was disappointed that I was only able to get up to 145 mph on the straight, I had a really good run going the last session, but everybody in front bunched up & braked halfway down the straight. I was glad I had the YellowStuff pads put on this week since I don't think the worn HPS pads would have stopped quickly enough from 145. Everything did fine with the car- no overheating & nothing blew off.

There was an older gentleman I saw struggling on his walker to leave the restroom before he had gone on the ride in the Vette & I just couldn't believe it when I saw the volunteers helping him out after the ride. They asked him how fast he had gone & he said 110 mph- they asked him if that was the fastest that he had ever been. He said no- he had gone 150 mph 2 years ago at the event. It was pretty cool.

https://youtu.be/AOh2EEghEWw

We did 3 sessions of 5-6 laps- that place is huge. It was a fun day & they raised a lot of money for the Vets group.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20160528_070059.jpg 
Views:	87 
Size:	74.3 KB 
ID:	17463Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20160528_085703.jpg 
Views:	94 
Size:	48.1 KB 
ID:	17464Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20160528_100540_001.jpg 
Views:	95 
Size:	141.5 KB 
ID:	17465Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20160528_115908.jpg 
Views:	81 
Size:	57.8 KB 
ID:	17466Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20160528_143916.jpg 
Views:	92 
Size:	56.1 KB 
ID:	17467Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20160529_093700.jpg 
Views:	93 
Size:	52.2 KB 
ID:	17468
    2003 RS6 - Avus Silver Pearl - Ebony Interior - Warm Weather Package - Carbon Fiber - ACE TC - SE Exhaust

It sounds great and for a good cause. Glad you had fun and shared your experience with us.

Looks like a great time. Glad to see the Audi mixing it up, and a good event too.
    Ace/Edge TC - Tozo Trans - MTM TCU - REVO/ME7 tune - Wagner IC's w/ Venair Hoses - Aux Radiator delete - Hotchkis Sways - Hawk HPS Pads - Koni Sport Struts - Scroll KO4 Turbos - Devil's Own WM - 421whp/452wtq on Mustang Dyno - http://www.audirssix.com

Quote Originally Posted by lswing View Post
    Looks like a great time. Glad to see the Audi mixing it up, and a good event too.
    I'm not sure how many cars total there were, but they said tbat there were over 400 sessions prebooked & you could get more at the event. There were 15 cars per session & they ran all day long.
    I'll definitely do it again next Memorial Day. We should get an RS6 group together to run. It was really perfect for the car.
    2003 RS6 - Avus Silver Pearl - Ebony Interior - Warm Weather Package - Carbon Fiber - ACE TC - SE Exhaust

Fantastic- Great opportunity to give it the beans and let the turbos loose. Thanks for sharing the fun!
    210K miles rolled

New youtube link without speed. I was contacted by the event leaders that you couldn't post videos with speed overlays because Talladega said that the event was a street legal speed event- I guess their insurance exposure is too great if people post ridiculous speeds with the lack of helmets & safety measures. The organizers had gotten in trouble for last year when someone had posted a video with speed overlay going 175 mph & passing another car!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wTgA...ature=youtu.be