Thread: Anti freeze fluid leaking on passenger side

Anti freeze fluid leaking on passenger side

And overheating light came on. Towed it over to my guys and waiting for word back. 2 years of nothing major so I guess I am due for something lol. Water pump? Radiator?

radiator hose would be a good guess....weakest link?
    '18 BMW M5, '19 Porsche Boxster GTS
    (prior '94 325is, '97 M3, '00 A6 4.2,'03 RS6,'08 A4 Cab,'13 A8L,'15 Q7,'16 BMW M2,

Auxiliary radiator behind intercooler, they tend to corrode over time.
    Ace/Edge TC - Tozo Trans - MTM TCU - REVO/ME7 tune - Wagner IC's w/ Venair Hoses - Aux Radiator delete - Hotchkis Sways - Hawk HPS Pads - Koni Sport Struts - Scroll KO4 Turbos - Devil's Own WM - 421whp/452wtq on Mustang Dyno - http://www.audirssix.com

Quote Originally Posted by lswing View Post
    Auxiliary radiator behind intercooler, they tend to corrode over time.
    i hope its just a loose hose lol. Come to find out I let my wife drive the beast to work a few times last week and she just now confessed that she hit a bump kinda "hard" one of those days..wtf!!! Back to the Tahoe she goes. She said she always hits the same bump in her Tahoe and does not even feel it. Ugh. Anyways...so the hose could be it.

Details

Mileage

Bufkin

Aux rad

After pulling the intercoolers, the shops saw that the auxiliary radiators were super corroded and beginning to leak. I imagine this is the case for many RS6's, corroded/leaky IC's and aux radiators. If they aren't completely leaking, they are on their way.

Quote Originally Posted by vas160s View Post
    i hope its just a loose hose lol. Come to find out I let my wife drive the beast to work a few times last week and she just now confessed that she hit a bump kinda "hard" one of those days..wtf!!! Back to the Tahoe she goes. She said she always hits the same bump in her Tahoe and does not even feel it. Ugh. Anyways...so the hose could be it.
    At first read I thought you were sending her back to Tahoe...although that might be nice. I wouldn't risk blaming her too much, something will break when you're driving and she'll have your ass

As Dave mentioned, Bufkin pipe, this could be your culprit. It's a plastic pipe in the oil/coolant interchange, passenger side of engine. Gets replaced usually when engine is out, metal pipe made by James Bufkin for $25.
    Ace/Edge TC - Tozo Trans - MTM TCU - REVO/ME7 tune - Wagner IC's w/ Venair Hoses - Aux Radiator delete - Hotchkis Sways - Hawk HPS Pads - Koni Sport Struts - Scroll KO4 Turbos - Devil's Own WM - 421whp/452wtq on Mustang Dyno - http://www.audirssix.com

Quote Originally Posted by lswing View Post
    At first read I thought you were sending her back to Tahoe...although that might be nice. I wouldn't risk blaming her too much, something will break when you're driving and she'll have your ass

As Dave mentioned, Bufkin pipe, this could be your culprit. It's a plastic pipe in the oil/coolant interchange, passenger side of engine. Gets replaced usually when engine is out, metal pipe made by James Bufkin for $25.
    The shop is saying that it's the main radiator. Any reliable place I cools source that from? They are saying $1000 for one. Is that accurate??

Have it repaired

The shop is saying that it's the main radiator. Any reliable place I cools source that from? They are saying $1000 for one. Is that accurate??
    The radiator is specific to the RS6. I got lucky finding a good used one from Shokan for a few hundred. $1k is accurate for a new factory unit. Just make sure they don't try to put an S6 radiator in. Dimensions are the same but it lacks the additional opening on the drivers side.
    03 RS6 Avus/Ebony #905593 resurrected 6MT, 04 Avalanche Z71, 87 T-Bird Turbo Coupe (351W T5), 04 Aprilia RSVR Factory

Funny, I have the same issue. Have it repaired, yep new one is $900.

I've been researching this for a few weeks, and our radiator is very high quality all metal that could last 20-30 years.

I'm going to have them weld, or JB Weld, the small crack at the bottom of mine, where one of the hoses connects.

This was my initial thought along with the bufkin.

My rad and OEM plastic non-bufkin sacrificed themselves at the same time...
    SOLD - 03 RS6 Avus (905355)
    Current - 03 Toyota Tacoma 4x4 double cab - the YETI, lifted, winched, snorkeled, lockered, skidded, geared

Have two pairs of Aux rads if you need a replacement set. They are all sound with no leaks.
    '02 S6 Avant Silver - Pokey | Carbon Black/Ebony RS6 w/ stuff - darn quick | '03 Daytona Grey/Ebony RS6 w/ more stuff - quicker yet | '91 NSX CDN issue with 6spd & BBSC - quicker yet and then some | '87 Buick GNX OEM clone w/ lots of stuff - quickest hands down

i have a set too, although best to bypass as they are not needed and just another area to leak.
    2010 XC90 exec, winter machine (V8 of course)
    2004 RS6 official Canadian edition, Daytona grey, (best colour!), summer edition
    2011 Q7 TDI, general alrounder

Well 2 weeks and $1400 later the beast is back with a new radiator lol. Hope she holds up for atleast a year without any major repairs lol