Thread: Fuel tank leak . RS6 C5

Fuel tank leak . RS6 C5

Hi guys, new here. I'm 38 yrs old and coming from Croatia. Few months ago I bought '03 RS6 avant in very good shape, really love it. It is my second Audi, first was S6 2.2T back in days.

Have some issues now, my fuel tank leaks at some sort of valve on the top of it. Driver side. Have read that was common problem, and that was maintened by Audi free of charge, at least in USA. My Audi delaer here in Croatia won't cover it, and new fuel tanks is out of option because it is really expensive
    So I took it in my local mechanic, we took the fuel tank down, (what a PIA :/ ) and we found the place where it leaks. Plastic is broken where screwdriver pointing at.
    PLease can you tell me what epoxy or some other similar thing to use to fix the leak? Maybe some other method?
    Thanks in advance

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	aba18cd34006e8a86d74f79d4d42edb4.jpg 
Views:	258 
Size:	58.1 KB 
ID:	17424Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ff6e3bb33fe2b162b93a8f04385a6309.jpg 
Views:	366 
Size:	50.3 KB 
ID:	17425

there was a recall on this leak issue on the RS6 in 2011. The did some redo on the seal.

Mike

f you own or are thinking about buying an Audi with a more than a few miles on it, this recall might affect you. Audi’s parent company, Volkswagen is recalling 2001-04 A6, 2002-03 S6 and 2033 RS6 models because a potential issue with the fuel system could lead to a fuel leak.

The problem in affected cars is linked to the fuel tank rollover valve. “The aging of the plastic material in the fuel tank rollover valve combined with bending stress from the aluminum ventilation line to the rollover valve nipple may lead to cracking of the nipple,” says NHTSA. “If this happens, a fuel leak may result.”

So how many Audis are affected? Autoblog reports, “Up to 5,992 vehicles are potentially affected by this action.” Owners can expect the recall to begin in June. In the meantime, owners can call Audi directly at 1-800-822-2834 if they have questions.

Shopping for a new car? Check out the U.S. News rankings of this year's best cars. Then, look for a great deal on a new car by checking out this month’s best car deals. Also, be sure to follow us on Twitter.
    '18 BMW M5, '19 Porsche Boxster GTS
    (prior '94 325is, '97 M3, '00 A6 4.2,'03 RS6,'08 A4 Cab,'13 A8L,'15 Q7,'16 BMW M2,

I don't think the recall applied to Avants but somebody correct me. And in your case it looks like the nipple broke/cracked which is different than the rollover valve connection with the tank that the recall was for. Looks like you might be able to fix that with some JB Weld and maybe a brass nipple. Just make sure you uses a liberal amount of 100% Isopropyl Alcohol to clean the surfaces real good so the Epoxy will take hold.
    2003 White RS6 2013 Midnight Blue S5
    2013 Daytona RS5 2x944 Turbo's 1974 911 w/'91 3.6ltr motor
    Roy, WA

Guys, thanks alot for your answers.
    However, found that Audi have released reparation kit for fixing it.

http://parts.audiofalexandria.com/pr...03%252dA).html

Will be here in 2-3days and will report the outcome

Rather than start a new thread, adding to Jucca's. Had my RS6 2 weeks, filled it up, left it at the airport, drove it home, nice leak underneath. Recall was not done and was on the list of things to do. Seems like the leak has more or less stopped with 1/4 tank of gas gone. Audi of Jacksonville will get it tomorrow, hopefully this will be the rollover valve and not the nipple, but either way they have to drop the tank to do the rollover valve recall, right?

Thx!

Edit, so the rollover valve isn't going to leak under normal circumstances as it's above the tank....? If I need the recall doing, does Audi typically just charge the extra labor to fix an associated issue?
    Last edited by boca rat; March 8th, 2017 at 22:59.