Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: The maintenance blues

Stealers price it that way also. I asked about a TB service if I had them pull the engine to fix the oil leak. They quoted me the same price I had paid for the last timing belt service (without an engine pull). I called them on the difference and they had not answer. They quoted $4500 minimum just to pull the engine, and then from there who knows. I paid 12k to have it done by my Independent mechanic, so God knows what the dealer would have charged me.

If they have the engine out to fix a leak, and you ask for an oil change, they will charge you the full oil change price (even though they have to empty the oil to take the friggen engine out of the car and fix the leak).

Thus the name "Stealers"

LOL

Mike
    '18 BMW M5, '19 Porsche Boxster GTS
    (prior '94 325is, '97 M3, '00 A6 4.2,'03 RS6,'08 A4 Cab,'13 A8L,'15 Q7,'16 BMW M2,

just had the car in to fix the ABS/TC unit, and to track down an oil leak I could smell, but damned leak wouldn't leak enough to leave a trace before burning off. they found the oil leak, and in doing so found the cam tensioner to be dying. Rebuilt the front axles - the boots had cracked. One would think that if we can put men in space, we can make a front axle CV boot that won't crack....so a quick $500 job turned into a 4 week $3000 job, and that was with getting some generous discounts.

but that's not all! rear driveshaft seal is leaking. can't see it, it doesn't leave a puddle or even a drop on the garage floor, but you can smell it while driving. I'm about to put my car on the market but I don't want to sell a car with a ticking time bomb in the transmission. Doing the rear seal will delay things further, but it'll have to get done. Pretty easy fix so I'm told, but now I'm paranoid about transmission fluid level - what happens if it gets a little low?

And front pads and rotors are getting a bit thin. This isn't my first rodeo with an older high performance car; it wouldn't be so irritating if I were keeping the car. But I want to get it on the market in as good condition as possible, but quickly as well; I keep seeing cars I want come and go :/
    Das Silberkugel - Eurocharged Stage 2/MTM/Level 10/Hotchkis/Koni/H&R
    2015 Ducati 1299S Panigale
    2014 Ducati Multistrada Granturismo

Cam tensioners dying? What? According to some on this site, only a few have failed! D'ooh. Sounds like DRC all over again. One guy here who had the DRC fail at 30k miles stated that they will ALL FAIL. And guess what? They did, thus the Audi DRC recall! Who was that guy? ME!

The Cam Tensioners are DESIGNED to fail. Period. Hot Oil, Metal on plastic, High Speeds...what does that sound like? I don't know? A SAW? There should be a warning right next to the "use our oil or Die" warning about parts due to fail at 100,000 miles. We don't mind paying but it should not be a surprise to us or our mechanics.

The rear driveshaft seal leaking? You mean off the rear differential or the rear main seal? The rear main seal can leak at the flange and not actually at the seal part.

Mike
    '18 BMW M5, '19 Porsche Boxster GTS
    (prior '94 325is, '97 M3, '00 A6 4.2,'03 RS6,'08 A4 Cab,'13 A8L,'15 Q7,'16 BMW M2,

Please be more specific on the leaking seal.

If it's the output seal going from the transmission to the prop shaft, then it's leaking front and center diff fluid and not trans fluid. It has a separate fill plug and be usure to use gear oil ans not trans fluid.

Any leaking from the prop shaft would just be a boot, similar to your front axles.

Leaking form the rear differential is a pretty straight forward fix, putting in a new seal. I don't think I've ever seen what happens when the front, center or rear diffs get low on fluid, so I'm not much help there. I do know that they are pretty easy to fill. Also make sure you can open the fill plugs before draining any fluids.
    2012 Q7 TDI S-Line - 2010 GTI - 2007 A3 3.2 S-Line - 2003 RS6
    2001 Honda S2000 - 1977 Honda CBR 750-F2 - 1965 GMC 1500 WideSide

not sure exactly, but I'm taking the car into my local independent Audi tech to get the whatever seal he's talking about replaced. My understanding is that it's the seal for the driveshaft from the transmission to the rear differential. He was talking about doing the transmission fluid and filter as well.

Gear oil makes sense though - I used to use Redline gear oil in my last car - red stuff that was so viscous it was barely liquid lol. That's the exact smell I'm getting, from whatever is dripping onto my exhaust.
    Das Silberkugel - Eurocharged Stage 2/MTM/Level 10/Hotchkis/Koni/H&R
    2015 Ducati 1299S Panigale
    2014 Ducati Multistrada Granturismo

I have to say at this moment, I'm really loving my RS6. After all that maintenance$$$$$ and time spent, the car is dialed. The power, handling, new sound system, and ride feel are all what I was looking for. Every time I have had these moments in the past something has quickly broken and needed repair. So that means something is probably on its way out right now. Oh well. But at least right now I am really enjoying this car that I can fill pack full of friends, transport ton of stuff, take my kid to day care w/his recaro toddler seat, blast the canyon roads, and roast most cars on the straights. It does it all and looks pretty damn good doing it. Still get thumbs up from the enthusiasts that know and double take to check the rear badge.

Optimistically, I just signed up for a 2 day track weekend at Buttonwillow Raceway in central California. I live in west Los Angeles. It will be Nov 18-20. Fingers crossed that this sweet spot will extend through that weekend and keep her running tight. It will be the first track weekend for this car. Audi Club of North America-Southern California chapter is putting this track weekend together.

Glad to hear the car is performing well. I've gone through the same thing a few times, luckily with a great mechanic. After dropping $5-10k in parts and labor the car is an absolute rocket and can keep up or beat most anything on the road. Buttoned up and performing like new is a great driving experience. Plus that great V8 rumble, keeps me in the game. There's always the worry of the next i$$ue though...
    Ace/Edge TC - Tozo Trans - MTM TCU - REVO/ME7 tune - Wagner IC's w/ Venair Hoses - Aux Radiator delete - Hotchkis Sways - Hawk HPS Pads - Koni Sport Struts - Scroll KO4 Turbos - Devil's Own WM - 421whp/452wtq on Mustang Dyno - http://www.audirssix.com

Like clockwork, as soon as I say something positive about this car it throws a code. Got it scanned today and luckily it was just an EVAP code. The shop said they can fix it with a new gas cap and a "purge filter?". Looks like a cheap fix. (exhale.......) The filter is in the left front of the engine bay right next to the air intake tube. No engine pull, it's just hanging right there. Amazing.

Quote Originally Posted by midwest1275 View Post
    Like clockwork, as soon as I say something positive about this car it throws a code. Got it scanned today and luckily it was just an EVAP code. The shop said they can fix it with a new gas cap and a "purge filter?". Looks like a cheap fix. (exhale.......) The filter is in the left front of the engine bay right next to the air intake tube. No engine pull, it's just hanging right there. Amazing.
    Last time I got that, 3 years ago, just tightened the gas cap and cleared codes. Hasn't come back...
    Ace/Edge TC - Tozo Trans - MTM TCU - REVO/ME7 tune - Wagner IC's w/ Venair Hoses - Aux Radiator delete - Hotchkis Sways - Hawk HPS Pads - Koni Sport Struts - Scroll KO4 Turbos - Devil's Own WM - 421whp/452wtq on Mustang Dyno - http://www.audirssix.com

Congrats...it'll get you next time...

Quote Originally Posted by ttboost View Post
    Congrats...it'll get you next time...
    Don't worry, I'm leaking fuel from the secondary pump or a line, or the dreaded tank valve...yay for 13 year old plastic!!!

I was at Eurotech in Marina del Rey today getting my RS looked at. There was a Dolphin Grey RS6 with grey stock wheels up on a lift with the engine/tranny out getting some major work done. Forum members car?? I live really close to this shop.