Thread: Sunroof rattle inquiry

Sunroof rattle inquiry

I'm sure I'm not the only one who is experiencing this. The metal piece shown in the picture has become loose and or some "other" piece has fallen off/broken. With the roof in the closed and tilted position the metal piece "bangs" about when going over bumps,etc. Curious if there is any easy fix.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0715.JPG 
Views:	120 
Size:	79.3 KB 
ID:	17224

I suffer from this same annoying noise!! I was thinking of trying to put some thin foam on the upper side to lesson the noise! I'll be curious to see if anyone else has resolved this in some manner!
    ECU/TCU chip, Euro Recaro's, KW 3's, Wagners, Venair hoses, Dahlback diverters, Hotchkis sways, Phaeton ducts, lower spoilers, custom vent's in hood

I have the same issue....makes noise when Open, not closed. I have not had a chance to work on this since my car has been in the shop since November. LOL...
    '18 BMW M5, '19 Porsche Boxster GTS
    (prior '94 325is, '97 M3, '00 A6 4.2,'03 RS6,'08 A4 Cab,'13 A8L,'15 Q7,'16 BMW M2,

awaiting solution. Doesn't happen to me except on tilt. Full open or partway not an issue.

I got tired of mine making noise so I got rid of the guts and disconnected the motor. Used a s small amount of clear silicone caulk around the gasket. Now it's "permanent". One of these days, when it's a fun day track car, and it no longer has a headliner, I'll get rid of all of it and have someone weld in a panel.
    Avus RS 6, RNS-E/BT/RVC, Eurocharged/MTM, SuperSports, PSS9/Hotchkis, SS Lines/EBC Reds, FMU/BMC, Sportec vents, 007's, 9500ci, Black Optics/Headlights/Trim/Rims, CC; coming soon: stage 3 snow meth

Mine did the same thing. The pivot for that metal piece in cruzan's picture above comes un-clipped from the piece that slides on the track and let's that metal piece rattle when the sunroof is tilted up. It's pretty easy to slide the "slider" into position and clip the pivot back in (with a coat hanger or similar), but on mine it came unclipped again a short while later. I think the tabs that hold the pivot in place just get looser over time. I intended to come up with a more permanent fix but then my car ended up totalled... Hope this helps.
    RS6 #1, 01E, 2.5" straight pipes, AMD Stage 1 6MT tune, 460awhp/530awtq on AMD's Mustang dyno. TOTALLED.. RS6 #2, Ebony Black Pearl on black/silver combination with carbon, up and running with 6 gears and AMD tune.

Quote Originally Posted by JSRS6 View Post
    I got tired of mine making noise so I got rid of the guts and disconnected the motor. Used a s small amount of clear silicone caulk around the gasket. Now it's "permanent". One of these days, when it's a fun day track car, and it no longer has a headliner, I'll get rid of all of it and have someone weld in a panel.
    that is just SOOOOO WRONG>>>>>>>
    (prior '94 325is, '97 M3, '00 A6 4.2,'03 RS6,'08 A4 Cab,'13 A8L,'15 Q7,'16 BMW M2,

Sorry Mike. I always kept it open anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Aronis View Post
    that is just SOOOOO WRONG>>>>>>>
    Avus RS 6, RNS-E/BT/RVC, Eurocharged/MTM, SuperSports, PSS9/Hotchkis, SS Lines/EBC Reds, FMU/BMC, Sportec vents, 007's, 9500ci, Black Optics/Headlights/Trim/Rims, CC; coming soon: stage 3 snow meth

LOL.

Fix it correctly. Replace the entire roof with a carbon fiber one of a kind roof. It's just the thing to make it really pop!

Na, make it a Cabrio or maybe a Targa! Do it!

Carbon Fiber custom hood, that's the balls.....
    Quote Originally Posted by EINHORN View Post
    Na, make it a Cabrio or maybe a Targa! Do it!