Thread: I got one...

Hybrid View

Sounds more like a $7,500 RS6... I hope the issues are not as bad as you imagine and/or you have excellent mechanical skills.
    2001 S4 Avant 6mt: AMD tuned, Stasis Streetsports.
    2003 RS6 Sedan 6mt: AMD tuned, 515awhp/635awtq, PSS9's, 4:1 Diff
    2006 Carrera S 6mt: EvoMS tuned, Sharkwerkes Exhaust, Numeric shifter, Fuchs Reps

My mechanical skills will be tested probally. But not scared of it at all. I'm not so sure it's not mixed coolants in there. Like I said I'm not driving it. Got it home gonna have to sit for a while. I have another project I have to finish up so it can go to its new owner. Then maybe i will be able to get involved with the rs6.

Good to know about the earlier climate control buttons not having the soft touch mess on there. Mine look like a cat got hold of them.

I have already ordered the aluminum pipe. For when I tackle the timing belt.

I bought this to replace a newer jetta gli but the wife dosent seem to care for it too much. Suits me fine if she had no intention of driving it I'll do a six speed swap while I pull the motor to do the turbos and such.

Yes indeed I feel i got a good deal on it even with.

Out of all the things listed I'm most bummed about the headliner starting to sag.

I just went and really looked at the coolant. . Fairly certain it's motor oil in there. Is the oil cooler on these cars like the ones I'm familiar with on heavy diesel motors. Basicly brass tube that coolant passes thru and on the opposite side is the motor oil. If we ever have oil in the coolant that's the first thing we change. Then put water and dawn dish soap in the radiator and run it drain it and do it again till its clean.

Quote Originally Posted by Avus-RS6 View Post
    Sounds more like a $7,500 RS6... I hope the issues are not as bad as you imagine and/or you have excellent mechanical skills.
    Current book on a "very good" 100k mi. RS6 (if such thing exists unless trans and TC already done... at least once) is $12-13k. I think 3-4 yr.s ago it was 22-24k. I haven't looked at auction lately, prob. don't want to.

I just got my replacement Tozo rebuilt trans and Edge TC both with 35k mi.s on it last week from a manual swapped at what I feel was a fairly economical price. We'll see how I feel about this car after going thru all that on my own. See if its really as bad as forum folklore would lead one too believe.... I'm assuming it will be. Luckily have 2 post lift and trans jack, good working table to put on and work on, very seasoned euro tech friend to help and no time limit or immediate need for car. I just know at $12-13k value I wasn't really feeling spending in the $4k range just for parts/rebuild for doing trans /TC job.

Its like a hot girl who's a pain in the ass.... just try and enjoy the good parts and do your best to deal with and forget about the bad sh-t.

What would you guys pay for a nice condition and well kept one of these cars with a known bad trans? I'm currently looking at one... don't ask why because no good answer, prob. give to girl let her drive around for a while, then I can hear her bitch about how much gas it sucks down for entertainment. I really shouldn't even consider it until I see how much I hate my first trans job.