Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Front axels

Front axels

Hey all,

i am am in the process of replacing my front axels. The axels themselves are fine, but the boots are torn. I ordered a replacement boot and was ready to go. I got the car torn apart and found two other boots ready to let go. Since I need the car done today, my only option is replacing the whole axel as the boots are two days away (Amazon) and I can't wait.

so, I thought I would see if anyone here needs a set of axels. The car has 73,000 miles on it, so the axels should be in great shape. If anyone needs some for a swap, let me know. I could go ahead and get the boots and replace them so they are ready to go. (I'm just a fella working on his car, so don't come looking for a lifetime warranty &#128512 Or you could do that yourself. We can figure out price and timeline if anyone is interested.

-Gentleman Jack

You were able to get full axel assemblies the same day, but the boots would be two days? How did that work out?

Did you get original equipment replacements?

At this point every 2003 RS6 needs 8 new CV boots ......and it's a messy job....

Mike
    '18 BMW M5, '19 Porsche Boxster GTS
    (prior '94 325is, '97 M3, '00 A6 4.2,'03 RS6,'08 A4 Cab,'13 A8L,'15 Q7,'16 BMW M2,

All my cv boots are good to go.

I would never pack a cv boot.

RAxles ftw

Quote Originally Posted by Aronis View Post
    You were able to get full axel assemblies the same day, but the boots would be two days? How did that work out?

Did you get original equipment replacements?

At this point every 2003 RS6 needs 8 new CV boots ......and it's a messy job....

Mike
    mike-

i was as surprised as you. The axels were readily available and the boots were special order. I called every parts store around and they all said the same thing.

However, I think Hurcules tightened the axels bolts. I can't break them free. I've got the 12 point socket, but everything I try doesn't work. So much for a 1 hour job

if anyone has suggestions, I'm all ears.

You need a 3ft breaker bar

Quote Originally Posted by DHall1 View Post
    Yes here in Denmark we use a 1/2" or 3/4" waterpibe in steel as a brake bar 3 or 4 feet long

Not the 17mm center bolt, that came out just fine. The 6 inner bolts. They were SOBs. Ended up getting out the torch and heating them. I was just a bit hesitant to do that with all the grease splattered about, but there were no issues. The second side went very smooth, proving one is never too old to learn from their own mistakes

i will ill get the old axels cleaned up tomorrow and take some photos.

Quote Originally Posted by Gentleman View Post
    Not the 17mm center bolt, that came out just fine. The 6 inner bolts. They were SOBs. Ended up getting out the torch and heating them. I was just a bit hesitant to do that with all the grease splattered about, but there were no issues. The second side went very smooth, proving one is never too old to learn from their own mistakes

i will ill get the old axels cleaned up tomorrow and take some photos.
    I hear ya! I've stripped out a pair of those trisquare bolts on two of the rides here. Replaced with Allenhead which are more resistance to strip out.
    '02 S6 Avant Silver - Pokey | Carbon Black/Ebony RS6 w/ stuff - darn quick | '03 Daytona Grey/Ebony RS6 w/ more stuff - quicker yet | '91 NSX CDN issue with 6spd & BBSC - quicker yet and then some | '87 Buick GNX OEM clone w/ lots of stuff - quickest hands down

I've always had good luck pulling those bolts with an impact wrench. I think that initial shock to break them loose and easy to use inward pressure to keep the socket tight in the head of the bolt and nice and square.
    2003 White RS6 2013 Midnight Blue S5
    2013 Daytona RS5 2x944 Turbo's 1974 911 w/'91 3.6ltr motor
    Roy, WA

Quote Originally Posted by hahnmgh63 View Post
    I've always had good luck pulling those bolts with an impact wrench. I think that initial shock to break them loose and easy to use inward pressure to keep the socket tight in the head of the bolt and nice and square.
    Here, here, impact wrench is the key.
    (prior '94 325is, '97 M3, '00 A6 4.2,'03 RS6,'08 A4 Cab,'13 A8L,'15 Q7,'16 BMW M2,

I had an impact on them. They laughed.

Heat at was the key for me.

The axels are all swapped out, the originals are all cleaned and boxed. I'll post some pics soon

I had one bolt that heat and impact did not do the job until it finally just stripped. I used a stick welder to cut the head off, and bought a new set of bolts. After all the heat the stud that was left came out by hand.

Anyone know what the difference is between the RS6 axle and say, an A6 4.2 or allroad axle? I had a problem with a torn boot and wanted it repaired ASAP. Called my guy at Autopart International, he sent me an axle over within a couple hours, under $100 my cost. Seems to be working great but I wonder how it will hold up long term, or if there's any difference in specification that would cause uneven power delivery? I would assume there's a difference between a $100 axle and a $600 axle from the dealer...
    2017 Subaru BRZ Limited w/ Performance Pack 6MT
    2003 Audi RS 6 quattro 5AT - sold

All my cv boots are good to go.

I would never pack a cv boot.

RAxles ftw
    I watched my mechanic redo the CV boot on my drivers side axel on Monday. it was messy but he had it done in about 20 minutes.....LOL....

Mike

http://www.ebay.com/itm/PAIR-NEW-FRO...1UKr4M&vxp=mtr

I've used these guys for a few things. Cheap, but decent service. I did blow a CV boot at the track, and they shipped a replacement with call tag no questions asked. I was warned about balancing and tone ring issues with the Chinese crap, but the boot has been my only problem.

I'd certainly prefer this route to the joys of boot replacement.

Seems to me the axles on my A6 (fronts that is) had CV joints on the inside whereas the RS6 has tripod inner joints. Outer joints are CVs on both. Other than that, I don't know. Then again that A6 was a 2.7T, but I seem to remember hearing that only the RS6 uses the tripod inner joint for extra strength.
    RS6 #1, 01E, 2.5" straight pipes, AMD Stage 1 6MT tune, 460awhp/530awtq on AMD's Mustang dyno. TOTALLED.. RS6 #2, Ebony Black Pearl on black/silver combination with carbon, up and running with 6 gears and AMD tune.

HEEELPPP!!!! RS6 drive shaft replacement problem

Im an RS6 owner of about 10 years mines a 2003 RS6 180K and I LOVE it still
    But I recently had a clikcing from front right and yes its the front CV joint. So ive got the old drive shaft out but I cant get the new one back in. Ive released the tie rod and ball joint but still not enough room to slide the new one in. What now? Ive uploaded this videohttps://youtu.be/l2wgLjNgSNw any help appreciated.
    John

the old one came out easily? Or was a joint broken? It sounds like the new one is the wrong one....too long?