Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Buy a RS6 or a 2013 S6

Buy a RS6 or a 2013 S6

Idk what to do. I've got a couple good deals to choose from. Rs6 55k miles. 16k money Will have to do timing belt and 1k to ship to me so another so roughly 18k. Car is red really don't care for red. Black interior with wood grain. Probally paint wood grain to black. I'm kinda scared of the transmission issues.
    2013 s6 has 50k. 41k money . Will have 1k in shipping and will have to buy tires soon so 43k. Car is white black Diamond interior. Blk headliner.
    Probally be able to resell easier later on. But I will have alot more in this car even if I have to buy a transmission for the rs6.

Either car will be a family car. Will have 2 rear facing car seats in the back seat for at least the next 2 years.
    Anyone want to tell me how to spend my money? I am definitely not buying a new car only to have it depreciate roughly half in three years.

Well, they are different cars. The RS6, speaking from experience, we have is a daily driver and with that it requires a lot of attention and care. It will have something small and big go wrong always and guaranteed! We all love our cars but it is a not w/o serious agony that you own this beauty. The S6 is nice, and a much better color choice and will serve as a better all around vehicle with comfortable operation, sport and use. If you have a warranty it would be my choice- all of this depends on your age/ tolerance and wallet! The RS6 will eventually cost you a transmission and many other issues guaranteed. I have much joy and pride in my RS6 but when it is at the dealer and the loaner I receive is a new 2016 A6, I am quite satisfied and comfortable and if a week went by I would be ok with the a 2015/ 2016 A6 or any S6 2013 and newer. I am growing up though....., you?

That price on the RS6 seems low for only having 55k miles. Either that's an outstanding deal or something is up with that car.

That being said, the 10-year-newer S6 would be a much more sane purchase to use as a family car. (Says the guy who's using a '03 S6 as a family car ) There are just too many issues that could come up with this car for it to be a reliable everyday driver to haul around two kids in the back.

If you can buy a 55k mile rs6 for 16k, you should run, not walk to the current dealer or owner and buy it now. These low mile examples are starting to steadily climb back up market again. The 2013 s6 will continue its Avalanche like devaluation for the next few years and with so many of the s and RS models being produced these days, in 5 years it will be worth considerably less than the rs6. If it is a late built rs6, you may never need a transmission by the way. The cool part of owning an rs6 is that there is really nothing quite like it. That's why most of us either keep coming back or own more than one!

I never left ^^

Just keep adding to the sanctuary

Go for the S6
    Last edited by HPO-DK; March 14th, 2016 at 17:24.

What's your tolerance for reliability? Do you care how much money you spend in the next few years? (probably less on the S6) Is exclusivity really that important when you're out driving around with the family? Will your wife be out driving it with the kids? Is it OK when it goes into limp mode because the air box starts to leak? Will she freak out? Plenty of other examples...I think the S6 might be a better option for you right now, even at more than twice the money. I think the depreciation has just about bottomed out on the RS6, the S6 will still continue to fall, but resale will be better on the S6 too...

As stated, don't buy the cheap RS6 you're looking at, it probably has issues. Small repairs can cost plenty. I've got a fuel leak and leaking radiator now, $2k. Only buy it if you or a very trusted shop can do the labor, and buy a well sorted car from a member here if possible. Expect to be in the shop 2-6 weeks per year, $2-6k per year, that's about my average over the last 4 years.

So if you're good with the above, really like the old style and lack of tech, get one!

For a family used car, more tech, less repairs, good warranty, reliability, get the S6.

RS6 is a great car but you've got to love it, it's a marriage. BTW, does that mean Dave is Mormon
    Ace/Edge TC - Tozo Trans - MTM TCU - REVO/ME7 tune - Wagner IC's w/ Venair Hoses - Aux Radiator delete - Hotchkis Sways - Hawk HPS Pads - Koni Sport Struts - Scroll KO4 Turbos - Devil's Own WM - 421whp/452wtq on Mustang Dyno - http://www.audirssix.com

Quote Originally Posted by ttboost View Post
    What's your tolerance for reliability? Do you care how much money you spend in the next few years? (probably less on the S6) Is exclusivity really that important when you're out driving around with the family? Will your wife be out driving it with the kids? Is it OK when it goes into limp mode because the air box starts to leak? Will she freak out? Plenty of other examples...I think the S6 might be a better option for you right now, even at more than twice the money. I think the depreciation has just about bottomed out on the RS6, the S6 will still continue to fall, but resale will be better on the S6 too...
    Exactly! And what's the wife's tolerance...and repair$ tolerance.
    Ace/Edge TC - Tozo Trans - MTM TCU - REVO/ME7 tune - Wagner IC's w/ Venair Hoses - Aux Radiator delete - Hotchkis Sways - Hawk HPS Pads - Koni Sport Struts - Scroll KO4 Turbos - Devil's Own WM - 421whp/452wtq on Mustang Dyno - http://www.audirssix.com

What, Dave's a moron? Oh wait...forget it...

Given the miles the RS6 seems cheap. I would want to take a good look at it, and in person if possible.
    With the details you provided I think the S6 may be a better option, even though I am partial to the RS6 option.

Folks,

good friend of mine owns the v10...it is easily as expensive to maintain as the rs6....and the depreciation curve is a long way from over. A three year cost of ownership would be well less with the rs6...

The 2013 S6 is the first year of the Turbo V8 4.0, a much better car in my opinion for the enthusiast than the V10. As we all know much easier to bump in power because it's a Turbo as well as better handling since it is lighter and better balanced with the smaller engine up front. And as Stephen mentioned, the V10's have been high maintenance cars. The V8 doesn't sound as good as the V10 but it is much less thirsty and the Torque curve is much better. The S-tronic is light years ahead of the 5HP24 in efficency but they started to show that they have problems too. An S-tronic tranny is a 50%+ premium over the 5HP24 though, that is in replacement costs.
    2003 White RS6 2013 Midnight Blue S5
    2013 Daytona RS5 2x944 Turbo's 1974 911 w/'91 3.6ltr motor
    Roy, WA

Quote Originally Posted by Stephencl View Post
    Folks,

good friend of mine owns the v10
    The car in question is a V8 BT.

EDIT: doh, too slow.

Okay....very different story....that thing is a genuine rocketship...

Forgot about our transmission being such a dog, I just leave it in 3rd, covers 30-100mph...I bet the new S6 shifts nice.

Well said.

If the RS is the family daily.....and only car. No go

Mormon no

Moron? Maybe lol

Quote Originally Posted by lswing View Post
    As stated, don't buy the cheap RS6 you're looking at, it probably has issues. Small repairs can cost plenty. I've got a fuel leak and leaking radiator now, $2k. Only buy it if you or a very trusted shop can do the labor, and buy a well sorted car from a member here if possible. Expect to be in the shop 2-6 weeks per year, $2-6k per year, that's about my average over the last 4 years.

So if you're good with the above, really like the old style and lack of tech, get one!

For a family used car, more tech, less repairs, good warranty, reliability, get the S6.

RS6 is a great car but you've got to love it, it's a marriage. BTW, does that mean Dave is Mormon

Quote Originally Posted by lswing View Post
    RS6 is a great car but you've got to love it, it's a marriage.
    Lol, perfect analogy.