Thread: Front parking sensors INOP

Front parking sensors INOP

So I've had my RS6 for just over a month now and have noticed the front parking sensors are not working. Is there a button or something I need to do to turn them on? The rear sensors work fine. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

I don't believe we have front parking sensors on our cars. At least in the US.

Hmmm, there is 2 penny sized circles on the sides of the license plate indent. Unless those are just dummy plugs.

Quote Originally Posted by VAG View Post
    Hmmm, there is 2 penny sized circles on the sides of the license plate indent. Unless those are just dummy plugs.
    Yes, just dummy spots where the Euro ones would be located.
    Ace/Edge TC - Tozo Trans - MTM TCU - REVO/ME7 tune - Wagner IC's w/ Venair Hoses - Aux Radiator delete - Hotchkis Sways - Hawk HPS Pads - Koni Sport Struts - Scroll KO4 Turbos - Devil's Own WM - 421whp/452wtq on Mustang Dyno - http://www.audirssix.com

What he said. Option in the Rest Of the World but inop and just plugs in N. America.
    2003 White RS6 2013 Midnight Blue S5
    2013 Daytona RS5 2x944 Turbo's 1974 911 w/'91 3.6ltr motor
    Roy, WA

Awesome, great to know guys.

You can retrofit the front sensors if you are up to the challenge. I have just done it. It requires a new parking module, parking aid button on dash, front sensor harness and sensors. There are obviously two plugs you can see on the front, but if you take off the bumper, on the inside there are markings for the other two parking sensors which you can drill out.

Quote Originally Posted by mbagge01 View Post
    You can retrofit the front sensors if you are up to the challenge. I have just done it. It requires a new parking module, parking aid button on dash, front sensor harness and sensors. There are obviously two plugs you can see on the front, but if you take off the bumper, on the inside there are markings for the other two parking sensors which you can drill out.
    This ^^^

EDIT: the first RS6 that I drove was in 2008 and it was a salvage title so no bank would touch it (upper control arm replaced and rotors replaced under CA lemon law )
    That one had front sensors in it and everyone that I talked to said that there were no US RS6 that have front parking sensors.
    SOLD - 03 RS6 Avus (905355)
    Current - 03 Toyota Tacoma 4x4 double cab - the YETI, lifted, winched, snorkeled, lockered, skidded, geared

Quote Originally Posted by ben916 View Post
    This ^^^

EDIT: the first RS6 that I drove was in 2008 and it was a salvage title so no bank would touch it (upper control arm replaced and rotors replaced under CA lemon law )
    That one had front sensors in it and everyone that I talked to said that there were no US RS6 that have front parking sensors.
    During the rebuild they could have sourced a bumper from the EU or UK. Did they actually work? My car had this, but i did not retrofit them to actually work. I was more comfortable having them exist and inoperable instead filling the holes. The non-US bumper has four front sensors instead of 2, so if you retrofit with only two where the 'knockouts' are, don't trust it too much against corner obstructions.....
    2012 Q7 TDI S-Line - 2010 GTI - 2007 A3 3.2 S-Line - 2003 RS6
    2001 Honda S2000 - 1977 Honda CBR 750-F2 - 1965 GMC 1500 WideSide

Quote Originally Posted by SteveKen View Post
    During the rebuild they could have sourced a bumper from the EU or UK. Did they actually work? My car had this, but i did not retrofit them to actually work. I was more comfortable having them exist and inoperable instead filling the holes. The non-US bumper has four front sensors instead of 2, so if you retrofit with only two where the 'knockouts' are, don't trust it too much against corner obstructions.....
    Yes it did function:
    After my terrifying test drive as I had no clue about how much power/acceleration/torque/grip these cars have, I white knuckled it back to the lot and there was a pole next to the parking spot and it was doing the same chirping as when backing up- as I got closer, the frequency of the beep would be shorter.
    Current - 03 Toyota Tacoma 4x4 double cab - the YETI, lifted, winched, snorkeled, lockered, skidded, geared

Quote Originally Posted by ben916 View Post
    Yes it did function:
    After my terrifying test drive as I had no clue about how much power/acceleration/torque/grip these cars have, I white knuckled it back to the lot and there was a pole next to the parking spot and it was doing the same chirping as when backing up- as I got closer, the frequency of the beep would be shorter.
    Ben916, do you remember what would trigger the front sensors on you car to activate. With the retrofit I did, the front sensors only activate if you put the car in reverse and they go off after proceeding over 10 miles an hour forward or if you push the dash button to activate it. I wish it would just activate as I came up to something close instead of either having to press the dash button or put the car in reverse.

Ben916, do you remember what would trigger the front sensors on you car to activate. With the retrofit I did, the front sensors only activate if you put the car in reverse and they go off after proceeding over 10 miles an hour forward or if you push the dash button to activate it. I wish it would just activate as I came up to something close instead of either having to press the dash button or put the car in reverse.
    To be honest, I don't remember as I was busy drooling over driving the car.
    I do seem to remember that there was a button illuminated on the center dash where the traction control/rear sunshade buttons are.

I was definitely driving forward and turning left into a parking spot with the pole to the left side and the parking sensor starting to beep/bark as I approached.

What you describe is the way the parking sensors on more-recent Audis operate, eg 2013 S6: The front sensors activate only after putting the car in reverse, or after pushing the dash button to activate. I'm with you in wishing the front sensors would activate automatically like the rear sensors do.

Will you provide more information about the retrofit you did? Part numbers would be helpful, and maybe some photos.

Mine really don't work after my molding disaster Sorry about the pic, 3 shades of silver, etc.. None of these I can see from the driver seat.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Bumper Hood.JPG 
Views:	131 
Size:	30.8 KB 
ID:	17132

Quote Originally Posted by SFJ_RS6 View Post
    What you describe is the way the parking sensors on more-recent Audis operate, eg 2013 S6: The front sensors activate only after putting the car in reverse, or after pushing the dash button to activate. I'm with you in wishing the front sensors would activate automatically like the rear sensors do.

Will you provide more information about the retrofit you did? Part numbers would be helpful, and maybe some photos.
    I didn't retrofit BUT that is not to say that it couldn't be done with the right part numbers from ETKA and some $$$