Thread: REVO Tune with 034 Tip Chip? Who is running? Any problems?

REVO Tune with 034 Tip Chip? Who is running? Any problems?

Hi guy i recently purchased a RS6 got a REVO tune and now im looking to get the 034 TCU Chip. I contacted 034 and they said there may be compatibility issues. Just wondering if anyone here has there combo and how is it? Thanks!!!

I've been running the REVO tune in my RS6 for the last year and it has been great. No reliability/maintenance issues have come up w/ the tune and the power increase is pretty significant for the $550 I paid for it during a Xmas time REVO sale. My tranny is stock so I can't speak on the combo of the two. I'm interested to see what you find out though. Been considering a tranny tune. With so much torque coming on so early in the rpm's, I throttle on relatively easy off the line to avoid frying the tranny.

Any ECU tune with any TCU chip should be fine, they are separate, never heard of any issues with the MTM TCU and many different ECU tunes. Parameters are being adjusted by the tunes but that shouldn't affect communication. 1, it's safe for them to say it may cause issues since it's not tested, 2, they want you to buy their tune.
    Ace/Edge TC - Tozo Trans - MTM TCU - REVO/ME7 tune - Wagner IC's w/ Venair Hoses - Aux Radiator delete - Hotchkis Sways - Hawk HPS Pads - Koni Sport Struts - Scroll KO4 Turbos - Devil's Own WM - 421whp/452wtq on Mustang Dyno - http://www.audirssix.com

midwest1275, you may have read on here that the Revo tune can run a little lean, especially if you are using a SPS tool and have the boost turned up. lswing can chime in but since you are in LA, and with the summer heat added in, I would caution you a little on running it real hard or any track days with the Revo. You can log the tune with Vagcom and see the lean condition. Not normally dangerously lean, only for hard and hot extended runs, or on a track. You can look up a program called Lemmiwinks or Unisettings and adjust the tune to improve it. I noticed that my old Audi tt (w/Revo tune) was going into soft limp mode occasionally, especially when warm out. I logged it and saw that is was also running a little lean. Adjusted it with Unisettings and no more limp mode.
    2003 White RS6 2013 Midnight Blue S5
    2013 Daytona RS5 2x944 Turbo's 1974 911 w/'91 3.6ltr motor
    Roy, WA

The 034 trans tune changes max shift points in S mode to 6800rpm. I suspect if the tune isnt also optimized to get to 6800 as well then it may shift poorly when in sport mode.
    2014 S8 - Daytona Gray Pearl Effect, APR Stage 2 Tune, APR downpipes

This is correct and you should really data log your car. Revo is lean

Quote Originally Posted by hahnmgh63 View Post
    midwest1275, you may have read on here that the Revo tune can run a little lean, especially if you are using a SPS tool and have the boost turned up. lswing can chime in but since you are in LA, and with the summer heat added in, I would caution you a little on running it real hard or any track days with the Revo. You can log the tune with Vagcom and see the lean condition. Not normally dangerously lean, only for hard and hot extended runs, or on a track. You can look up a program called Lemmiwinks or Unisettings and adjust the tune to improve it. I noticed that my old Audi tt (w/Revo tune) was going into soft limp mode occasionally, especially when warm out. I logged it and saw that is was also running a little lean. Adjusted it with Unisettings and no more limp mode.

Good to know about the lean issues w/ the REVO tune. Thanks

I have the 034 ECU and TCU tune no issues with it so far makes great power and shifting is much better.
    03 RS6 Avus Silver, Ebony Interior, 133K Mi, Yellow Koni's, Hotchkis Sway Bars, 0A3 6MT, Blake Beadle Custom Tune, Vin 905641

Quote Originally Posted by 415RS6 View Post
    I have the 034 ECU and TCU tune no issues with it so far makes great power and shifting is much better.
    I would hope so
    Ace/Edge TC - Tozo Trans - MTM TCU - REVO/ME7 tune - Wagner IC's w/ Venair Hoses - Aux Radiator delete - Hotchkis Sways - Hawk HPS Pads - Koni Sport Struts - Scroll KO4 Turbos - Devil's Own WM - 421whp/452wtq on Mustang Dyno - http://www.audirssix.com

Update, so I received my TCU back for 034 Motorsport last week and have been driving the car. I'd say the car now shifts twice as fast. It's not neck breaking by any means haha but much more fun to drive. It works fine with my REVO Tune and makes for an all around sporty car. The only thing i wish was different is that it wouldn't kick down when in sport or tiptronic. I'm gonna contact 034 and ask if that can be changed tho

Watch those partial throttle (above 60%) 1-2 and 2-3 shifts. I had a couple hard ones and then lost the trans. Digging deeper into it there appears to be nothing but drastic line pressure commands from the 034 tune and no torque reduction tuned in. There are many parameters that are just not touched that should be changed so I feel it should be noted there are superior trans tunes out there that are much less money. The 034 trans tune has been removed from my vehicle. The pressures commanded were so high its amazing I didn't blow up the trans drum.
    I am debating tearing down the trans to check it out to see if the pump failed as opposed to snapping the input shaft.

Quote Originally Posted by LaserSVT View Post
    Watch those partial throttle (above 60%) 1-2 and 2-3 shifts. I had a couple hard ones and then lost the trans. Digging deeper into it there appears to be nothing but drastic line pressure commands from the 034 tune and no torque reduction tuned in. There are many parameters that are just not touched that should be changed so I feel it should be noted there are superior trans tunes out there that are much less money. The 034 trans tune has been removed from my vehicle. The pressures commanded were so high its amazing I didn't blow up the trans drum.
    I am debating tearing down the trans to check it out to see if the pump failed as opposed to snapping the input shaft.
    How do you know this is any different than other trans tunes? I've read that's what MTM also does, increase line pressure, creating tighter firmer shifts. In theory this allows your clutches longer life. So you're saying someone makes a trans tune that will lower torque during shifting? Never heard of this, but would be nice as it's tough to get your foot out of it before shifting unless in tip.

Yes, raising line pressures is part of a trans tune. Over raising them is not. Also, yes, there should be partial throttle torque reduction on shifts but in theirs there is not. Since my 034 tune I have spoke with several companies that do TIP chips and discussed what is done. I have also promised not to divulge details of that information. You can understand why. In this process it has cause me to do some checking on just what was done in my tune. In doing so it was discovered that line pressure commands were far beyond what "others" do in their tunes. The problem may lay in that they seem to think regular C5 transmission coding and the RS6 trans coding are the same or at least nearly the same.
    I do realize a modified RS6 is more apt to hurt its transmission but to have all three times it made a mistake happen at partial throttle and the third time cause the transmission to fail necessitated further research to be done. In doing so I came across an issue and that issue is an improper program. I have addressed mine with a proper trans tune and would like to help save anyone else from similar issues.

Quote Originally Posted by lswing View Post
    How do you know this is any different than other trans tunes? I've read that's what MTM also does, increase line pressure, creating tighter firmer shifts. In theory this allows your clutches longer life. So you're saying someone makes a trans tune that will lower torque during shifting? Never heard of this, but would be nice as it's tough to get your foot out of it before shifting unless in tip.
    I'm sure you've heard of the company "Audi".

Joking aside, that's what factory TCU does: it sends a request to the ECU to lower the torque, ECU complies (by retarding the ignition), TCU proceeds with the shift. I guess, what LaserSVT is talking about - this "lowering request" is somehow altered or removed in 034 tune.

EDIT: meh, I was too slow, as usual.

Quote Originally Posted by LaserSVT View Post
    Bill is 100% correct here. I knew that with my RS6 and I practice it with my current car. That's why they give higher HP cars the "tip" or the "sport" or whatever you want to call the "auto/manual" mode. If you plan on accelerating hard, manually put it in a lower gear, then if you wish, once your accelerating, stick it back in auto. It's the "slipping" between gears while downshifting at full power/full boost that slaughters transmissions. If you want your transmission to live, stop flatfooting it at anything over 30-40mph...

Quote Originally Posted by nubcake View Post
    I'm sure you've heard of the company "Audi".

Joking aside, that's what factory TCU does: it sends a request to the ECU to lower the torque, ECU complies (by retarding the ignition), TCU proceeds with the shift. I guess, what LaserSVT is talking about - this "lowering request" is somehow altered or removed in 034 tune.

EDIT: meh, I was too slow, as usual.
    Ha, yes there is that.

I'm 100% sure his trans would have failed even with a stock TCU. Extra power, hard driving, old trans, always fails.

I can say with the MTM TCU there is some reduction during shift, but not enough to protect the trans from my extra power.

Guess the key is, can the parameter be accessed by a programmer, and even so do you really want that much loss of torque during shifting, slowing down acceleration.

Quote Originally Posted by lswing View Post
    Ha, yes there is that.

I'm 100% sure his trans would have failed even with a stock TCU. Extra power, hard driving, old trans, always fails.

I can say with the MTM TCU there is some reduction during shift, but not enough to protect the trans from my extra power.

Guess the key is, can the parameter be accessed by a programmer, and even so do you really want that much loss of torque during shifting, slowing down acceleration.
    Most definitely, yes.
    The thing is, there's also a limit to what ECU can do. Plus, your shift speed, pressures, etc are much more determined by your hardware, rather than software. Rephrasing, there's not much you can do with only a TCU tune.

Either way, I shouldn't be blabbing on the subject since my knowledge is limited and I'm a hardcore MT guy myself. :P