Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Saying goodbye to the beast - totalled

Saying goodbye to the beast - totalled

Well, it pains me to say that I was involved in an accident during our recent snowstorm here in SW WA and my RS6 has been declared a total loss by the insurance company. It wasn't by much, but enough that they did total it, and I don't want to take the time and effort to rebuild it only to have a branded title. So, I've decided I'll probably end up parting it out.

Here are some photos of the car when it was being inspected by the insurance adjuster. You'll have to excuse the dirt, slushy roads aren't conducive to clean cars...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20160106_123642.jpg 
Views:	265 
Size:	89.3 KB 
ID:	16985Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20160106_123652.jpg 
Views:	270 
Size:	81.1 KB 
ID:	16986Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20160106_123710.jpg 
Views:	236 
Size:	116.4 KB 
ID:	16987Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20160106_123720.jpg 
Views:	241 
Size:	94.1 KB 
ID:	16988Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20160106_123723.jpg 
Views:	228 
Size:	82.8 KB 
ID:	16989

Damaged parts were as follows: front bumper skin, front right fender, front right fender support, engine undertray, both intercooler shrouds (probably repairable, but cracked in a few places), driver side under-door molding (a fairly minor crack), driver side sway bar mount attachment point (part of the sub frame), front driver side control arms, front driver side wheel and tire (the photos show the spare on the passenger side, that's because I swapped the passenger side wheel to the driver side since the spare cleared the bent fender better than the full size tire), rear bumper skin (got a small hole as shown in the second pic), right rear taillight (cracked the lens), passenger side lower intercooler hose, passenger side lower intercooler bracket, and the lower mounting brackets on both headlights. Surprisingly the headlight housings, lenses, bulbs, and ballasts on both sides are still intact and functioning. The engine escaped unscathed, and all engine components aside from the intercooler hose. It still fires right up, idles smoothly, revs fine, and actually drives okay too besides a noticeable pull to the left due to the bent control arms. Just to be clear, I only drove it across town about a mile to the body shop for a repair quote. I wouldn't drive it much farther than that.

I've gone back and forth with myself on what to do, and in the end I decided to buy the car back from the insurance company and part it out. As my signature states, I converted the car to manual, and have a lot of very low miles conversion parts that I imagine someone would be interested in. I'll start a separate thread in the For Sale section to detail all the parts that I have.
    RS6 #1, 01E, 2.5" straight pipes, AMD Stage 1 6MT tune, 460awhp/530awtq on AMD's Mustang dyno. TOTALLED.. RS6 #2, Ebony Black Pearl on black/silver combination with carbon, up and running with 6 gears and AMD tune.

Damn, that really sucks! Sorry to see that. Really doesn't take much to total these cars, does it.

I may be interested in manual trans + swap parts, depending on what you have. Please PM me at your convenience.

Bummer- ;(
    210K miles rolled

Really sucks...very sorry to hear. Glad you are okay.
    2003 Audi RS6 Daytona/Silver, 2012 Porsche 911 Turbo S, 2016 Golf R 6 MT, 2018 Porsche Macan GTS

Sorry for your loss. I miss my beast daily. I sure did enjoy it and is still is the best car I have ever owned!
    2008 A4 2.0TQ Quartz Grey Metallic S-Line/Titanium Package
    2017 A4 2.0TQ Glacier White Metallic Prestige Sport
    2003 RS6 TOTALED.-----Searching for a replacement

So sorry for your loss but in true car forum fashion...... i want the headlights.

Last edited by LaserSVT; January 15th, 2016 at 22:27.
    2014 S8 - Daytona Gray Pearl Effect, APR Stage 2 Tune, APR downpipes

Damn that sucks. Sorry to hear.
    2012 Q7 TDI S-Line - 2010 GTI - 2007 A3 3.2 S-Line - 2003 RS6
    2001 Honda S2000 - 1977 Honda CBR 750-F2 - 1965 GMC 1500 WideSide

Bummer! Tough loss, hope the parting out goes well, thanks for posting it up.

Ace/Edge TC - Tozo Trans - MTM TCU - REVO/ME7 tune - Wagner IC's w/ Venair Hoses - Aux Radiator delete - Hotchkis Sways - Hawk HPS Pads - Koni Sport Struts - Scroll KO4 Turbos - Devil's Own WM - 421whp/452wtq on Mustang Dyno - http://www.audirssix.com

Really sorry to hear about this. A minor accident that totals the car is probably my biggest fear with the RS6. I can only imagine how frustrating it must be, however I'm happy to hear you are parting it out yourself, rather that letting it go to the wreckers. Unfortunately I just purchased most of the 6-speed conversion stuff, otherwise I would be all-over your parts! I'm sure you'll be able to sell your stuff, it looks like you used all the right parts for the conversion, so someone should be happy to pick it up. Best of luck with the part-out.

Bummer!

Buy back might be worth it to the RS6 community and help with the loss...
    SOLD - 03 RS6 Avus (905355)
    Current - 03 Toyota Tacoma 4x4 double cab - the YETI, lifted, winched, snorkeled, lockered, skidded, geared

Wow, that is too bad. Did they 'total it' due to the age of the car or the total cost? How much are they giving you for it? If you part it out, do you have to forgo the Insurance company check?

You're describing mainly cosmetic damage, if it is mechanically repaired, it would still be better looking than most 13 year old Fords on the road!

Mike
    '18 BMW M5, '19 Porsche Boxster GTS
    (prior '94 325is, '97 M3, '00 A6 4.2,'03 RS6,'08 A4 Cab,'13 A8L,'15 Q7,'16 BMW M2,

Aronis, when an insurance company totals your car they allow you to keep it for a certain amount of money. Some insurance companies its a flat $500 and some are 5-10% of what the check is they cut for it. They will usually give middle of KBB value on the car unless you can prove it was near excellent condition and then you can get a bit more. Cars are never totaled due to age they are totaled due to cost vs value of the car. Again its at the companies discretion. Some will total a car if the repairs reach over 60% and some will repair all the way to 90% of the value. None will go higher due to the fact that most of the time there will be "additions" to the bill as the car is torn apart and other issues are found.
    2014 S8 - Daytona Gray Pearl Effect, APR Stage 2 Tune, APR downpipes

While it is very small, I would like to buy the rubber molding that goes between the headlight and fender. I can see one hanging out there in your pic-one of mine has deteriorated badly over the years

I am sorry to hear about your loss.

I need the aluminum window trim please urgent

May be someone here interested in the whole car if you want to throw a price out there. Less hassle for you. Sorry to hear about your lost. Were you happy with the clutch? I went with the Stage 3+ on mine.
    2003 White RS6 2013 Midnight Blue S5
    2013 Daytona RS5 2x944 Turbo's 1974 911 w/'91 3.6ltr motor
    Roy, WA

Dude, I'm sorry. This sucks. Very similar damage to when I hit the deer. If you go back and look I spent around $6k to repair on my own in addition to the now ~$11k spent on the 6MT swap. Not implying it would be the same but if you are ready to move on its something for others to keep in mind. As Hahn says above see if you can get any bites for the whole car. Curious what your buy back option was. Mine was $3900. Feel free to PM me. And if nothing materializes those Wags and the PPD are calling my name.
    03 RS6 Avus/Ebony #905593 resurrected 6MT, 04 Avalanche Z71, 87 T-Bird Turbo Coupe (351W T5), 04 Aprilia RSVR Factory

Holy crap, I just saw this, man I'm so sorry. You just got that beast dialed in.
    -Mike-
    03 RS6 Mugello/Ivory #905565
    01 S4 Casa/sport/6spd

Sorry to see this. The scavengers are swooping in, LOL... The problem with such a rare car as the RS6, is that parts are scarce and expensive, and labor to work on them is, well, we know what it is. This all adds up to higher costs of repair, which in the end, is cheaper to "total" it out. I probably wouldn't have claimed it, waited a bit, collected some parts, and fixed it and sold it, just to keep the title clean...Make sure to report the loss to the VIN thread...