Thread: FS: 4.2 Code BCY Engine

FS: 4.2 Code BCY Engine

Gentlemen,

I am selling a 4.2 (Code BCY - #009320) engine with 192k kilometers. Engine is currently broken down to a short block with the intake and heads removed. Oil pan has also been removed for inspection for any abnormal wear or stray remnants of the plastic guide. Please note that none of the exhaust components are available as they were all used on a replacement engine.

Story on this is ... this is the original engine that was in my beast. Up to this past Aug (when I purchased the car) it had been completely dealer maintained since day one by the previous (original) owner ... so all prescribed / required service(s) we done per spec. Engine was running great until one of the plastic guides on the left bank camshaft chain adjuster "disintegrated" on start up ... with absolutely no warning of course. As most of you probably know this allowed enough slack in the chain to allow for contact between the valve(s) and pistons resulting in a zero compression reading on cylinders 5 - 8. Readings on cylinders 1-4 were all 170 to 175.

After weighing the options presented to me by my local repair shop, I opted to go with a used engine versus gambling on (at that point) unknown rebuilding costs. Having now been able to remove the intake and heads to inspect ... I can confirm that the damage was minimal. The top (center) intake valve in cylinders 5-8 are what made contact ... barely leaving a mark in the top of the pistons. After a $400 machine shop bill the valves have been replaced, the head has been checked, tested and is now certified ready to go. Definitely should of went with repairing versus replacing ... but we all know what hindsight is all about!!!!!

So that, in a nut shell, is the story. I don't want to leave these parts just sitting there as I do not have the place or space to properly store this stuff. So I'm looking to see if there's any interest... in either the complete engine or the various parts.

As far as pricing, as I noted in my profile, I am basically a newbie when it comes to these vehicles so I welcome thoughts / comments / input from the group on what this stuff has gone for in the past and what would be considered a fair value for the various components. Also, I'm looking at freshening up the suspension on the car so I could be open to some trading as well.

Fully rehab'ed longblocks with lower original mileage occasionally show up on ebay between $3500-4k depending on what components are still attached. Without exhaust attached, I'd say you're looking at 1500-2500 depending on what all is included, and how well documented the repairs are, what warranty the repairs carry, blah blah blah. As-is engines from Shokan with >100k miles usually sell in the $2k range just to give you an idea.

As an aside, did you r/r your EGT sensors, or get an extra pair with the replacement BCY you bought? I'm not looking to pay even the $450 tag I found for a new OE pair from Germany, but no suitable replacements to be found through regular parts depot's...
    #905530 - Brilliant Black on Ebony. Sorted, running strong, ready for a new owner.
    No, I am not the board admin - that's Erik (from Sweden), I'm Other_Erik (from the US)

Hey O-Eric. Thx ... Appreciate the feedback. Pricing seems to be all over the place. At the time I picked up my replacement the only other engines I could find were from All Star Import and American Auto Parts & Europen Auto parts. Both places wanted $5k + a $1k core charge. Both engines had ~90k miles and neither included the exhaust or air filter box. Best I can find on ebay right now is $5k for a short block. Granted it's totally refub'ed but its a bare short block. Shokan gave me an estimate of $6.5k for a long block (oil pan to valve covers). Intake would be extra.

As for the EGT sensors, yes I R&R'd them.

you have a pm

I am also interested if you could shoot me a message

Afternoon everyone,

With the nice weather quickly approaching I thought I'd update my listing by including some pricing. Shipping is not included.

Intake manifold with throttle body, fuel rail and injectors - $800.

Heads - $1200. per -> Note: includes the cam chain but does not include the cam chain tensioner

Short block with oil pump and oil pan- $2200.

These prices are in Cdn $$$'s ... Thx for L@@king!

Everything sold. Thank you everyone!