Thread: tire wear concern!!!

tire wear concern!!!

Hi all,

Two threads in one day...it is a record for me!

This past weekend I took off my summer wheels and put on my winters.

My summer wheels are Forgestar F14 in 19*10. In order to run them I have to use a 5mm spacer on the front or they rub on the inside.

I bought these wheels second hand and when I did they had Ventus V12 tires 275/30 series. I replaced them with a set of used Michelin PSS in 265/35.

I knew my tires were on their last season but when I took off my wheels I was shocked at the wear that was happening!!! the tires are down to the above the wear bars but inside of the front tires and to a much lessor degree the fronts is completely worn away.

The worst tires were the two front tires and they are so worn down you can see threads!!! OMG. I know that on full lock left or right I can hear the tires rubbing but I suspected it was only on the inner wheel lining...but perhaps not!!! Last summer when my transmission went the shop had an alignment done as part of the process so I'm very surprised if it's negative camber causing the wear??

I'll be looking to get a brand new set of these tires this winter but am not wondering if I should go 255??

Here are some pics. I've included some of the summers on the car to you can get an idea. Thoughts/suggestions welcome.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20151118_104558 copy.jpg 
Views:	87 
Size:	50.6 KB 
ID:	16893Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20151118_104542 copy.jpg 
Views:	85 
Size:	45.1 KB 
ID:	16892Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20151118_104519 copy.jpg 
Views:	92 
Size:	50.8 KB 
ID:	16891Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20151118_104651 copy.jpg 
Views:	90 
Size:	48.7 KB 
ID:	16894Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0610..jpg 
Views:	91 
Size:	86.2 KB 
ID:	16895Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0607..jpg 
Views:	79 
Size:	84.4 KB 
ID:	16896Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0605..jpg 
Views:	85 
Size:	96.8 KB 
ID:	16897
    Greg
    ECU/TCU chip, Euro Recaro's, KW 3's, Wagners, Venair hoses, Dahlback diverters, Hotchkis sways, Phaeton ducts, lower spoilers, custom vent's in hood

I'm curious about the same thing. I've had a couple of my front tires do exactly what yours did. I've had the alignment checked twice and the camber appears to be within spec, albeit toward the high end of the range. Toe is also within spec. Is this just the way these cars wear their front tires? I had this happen with my previous tires (Continental Extremecontact DWS, Nitto Motivo), and my current Michelin PSS's seems to be going that way as well. I've been rotating them to get the most life I can, but it's only helping a little.
    RS6 #1, 01E, 2.5" straight pipes, AMD Stage 1 6MT tune, 460awhp/530awtq on AMD's Mustang dyno. TOTALLED.. RS6 #2, Ebony Black Pearl on black/silver combination with carbon, up and running with 6 gears and AMD tune.

It appears there are two items here. The wear to the belts appears to be on the sidewall and I would usually look for a rubbing situation. The wear on the inside tread appears to be feathering which is associated with alignment. Check toe-in as caster and camber cannot be adjusted on these cars due to fixed length control arms and fixed mounting points on the chassis.
    '02 S6 Avant Silver - Pokey | Carbon Black/Ebony RS6 w/ stuff - darn quick | '03 Daytona Grey/Ebony RS6 w/ more stuff - quicker yet | '91 NSX CDN issue with 6spd & BBSC - quicker yet and then some | '87 Buick GNX OEM clone w/ lots of stuff - quickest hands down