Thread: To Replace or Clean the MAF's

To Replace or Clean the MAF's

So I was at an Indy shop last Friday, They were attempting to perform a boost log and are telling me that MAFs are failing as bank 1 and bank 2 are off from each other (no CEL and drive ability has not appeared to be any different. Can these be cleaned? Is there a definitive way to confirm that they are going bad ?

I've used MAF Kleener with no problems.
    '02 S6 Avant Silver - Pokey | Carbon Black/Ebony RS6 w/ stuff - darn quick | '03 Daytona Grey/Ebony RS6 w/ more stuff - quicker yet | '91 NSX CDN issue with 6spd & BBSC - quicker yet and then some | '87 Buick GNX OEM clone w/ lots of stuff - quickest hands down

Aren't they always off a little? You should be able to get a boost/data log regardless. What did they tell you exactly? Sounds like BS to me
    Ace/Edge TC - Tozo Trans - MTM TCU - REVO/ME7 tune - Wagner IC's w/ Venair Hoses - Aux Radiator delete - Hotchkis Sways - Hawk HPS Pads - Koni Sport Struts - Scroll KO4 Turbos - Devil's Own WM - 421whp/452wtq on Mustang Dyno - http://www.audirssix.com

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	RS6-11-13-15.pdf 
Views:	69 
Size:	176.7 KB 
ID:	16875

Here is a .pdf of the logging - I really appreciate any comments you might have.

You're 26 g/s difference at max rpms, mine was exactly the same with 190/216 bank 1/2 split before apokil Maf seals. Disconnecting the mafs from the airbox and wrapping a layer or two of electrical tape + the Apokil seals tightened up the variance less than 5%, I actually had bank 1 higher than 2 at some point in the rpm band.
    Daytona Grey/ Ebony/Carbon | APR ECU/TCU | Wagner intercoolers, silicone hoses | Clampco T-bolts | APR axel back exhaust | Apikol MAF seal | 18x9.5 STR 609s | 265/35 Michelin PSS | Hotchkis sway bars |

Also make sure the wires going to the MAFs are in sound condition. I recently took my airbox off to get at some coil packs and in the process of moving the MAFs and unplugging the harnesses one of the wires snapped because it was so brittle. The insulation on the wires (especially on the drivers side) was very stiff and on the wire that snapped, it was falling apart. There has to be a lot of heat that gets trapped in that pocket under the rear of the airbox, causing the wiring and harnesses to become brittle.

Boost logs look fine, comes on as requested and stays. What are they doing the log for, and it looks like it's all there. They should also be logging two other categories since you can do three at once, such as Timing and EGT, and then cleaning up your logs...

Also, all these gears mucked together, and not in Turbo mode doesn't give the clearest picture. Tell them 3rd gear, 2k to redline WOT, and clean up those logs by getting all the extra garbage out!
    Ace/Edge TC - Tozo Trans - MTM TCU - REVO/ME7 tune - Wagner IC's w/ Venair Hoses - Aux Radiator delete - Hotchkis Sways - Hawk HPS Pads - Koni Sport Struts - Scroll KO4 Turbos - Devil's Own WM - 421whp/452wtq on Mustang Dyno - http://www.audirssix.com

Lou,

Planning to do a software upgrade. Revo is no longer available here in PDX (Hillside Imports was the installer, but some issues have developed). So I did some research and found Addict Motorsport in Wa. was/is doing Revo, but also has developed their own software. They recommend performing a leak test on the system before any software mods. So I reached out to Matrix and they suggested running a log of boost numbers (requested vs. actual). They are telling me the MAF's may be going out based on the log that you have seen. I have no CEL for the MAFs.

I'll vouch for AMD's software, it seems to be very well done. I have their Stage 1 6MT tune on my car up here on the WA side of the river. The only hassle with AMD is communication.. They don't seem to ever answer their phone or email, but persistence eventually paid off for me.

As for the MAF's, I would try what others have suggested, seal up the MAF's a bit better (electrical tape DOES work), and check the electrical connections. Then try to log again. I suppose cleaning them wouldn't hurt, but I would suggest not replacing them before you try the other suggested fixes.
    RS6 #1, 01E, 2.5" straight pipes, AMD Stage 1 6MT tune, 460awhp/530awtq on AMD's Mustang dyno. TOTALLED.. RS6 #2, Ebony Black Pearl on black/silver combination with carbon, up and running with 6 gears and AMD tune.

Double post
    Avus Silver RS6 - Viper Stage 2 ECU/TCU - Water/Meth Injection - Frozen Rotors - Hbars - clear corners - Hella smoked tails - gutted precats

I can also confirm that it is normal for the mafs to be off be that much.

Edit: in closer looking at the log, you are off by a little much. Try some cleaner and some tape, as suggested earlier. Keep in mind, there will be variations. It's due to greater turbulence through the piping on the way to the intake.
    Avus Silver RS6 - Viper Stage 2 ECU/TCU - Water/Meth Injection - Frozen Rotors - Hbars - clear corners - Hella smoked tails - gutted precats

The Bentley says up to 20% difference between the two banks is within specification.