Thread: HELP: Intermittent ABS Error Code 01435 Brake Pressure Sensor

HELP: Intermittent ABS Error Code 01435 Brake Pressure Sensor

A month or so back, my ABS and traction control lights came on after driving for a while. They stayed on until I got home and turned off the car. I didn't have a chance to scan it then, and the next time I drove the car the lights were off again. However, they once again came on after driving for a bit.

This went on for about a week before I got around to scanning it. During this time, it became apparent that the lights came on about the time the car warmed up (ie the oil temp gauge started moving).

The error code I got from VCDS was:

Address 03: ABS Brakes Labels: 4B0-614-517.lbl
    Part No: 4B0 614 517 AD
    Component: ESP 5.7 RS 6 2310
    Coding: 06697
    Shop #: WSC 12345
    VCID: 63CFD365F1EC72262B-513D
    1 Fault Found:
    01435 - Brake Pressure Sensor 1 (G201)
    48-00 - Supply voltage

I looked up G201 in ElsaWin and it appears to be the small sensor on the wet side of the ABS module. When I back traced the wiring, I found it leads to the large plug on the dry side of the ABS module. Hoping for an easy solution, I tested the three wires for continuity. All seemed fine, at around 2-3 Ohms (the relatively high values are probably partly due to my difficulty in getting a good contact between my multimeter probe and the pins on the plug). I then started the car and live-monitored the output from G201 using VCDS. At first, the reading seemed normal. It showed near 0 with no brake pedal pressure, and climbed when I pressed on the pedal. However, once the car began warming up, the reading became erratic. At times it would seem accurate, then it would climb to unreasonably high numbers whether the pedal was pressed or not. After a minute or so of this, it pegged at around 290 (if I recall correctly). Curious, I unplugged the pressure sensor. The reading stayed at 290. I assume this means that 290 is the default "open-circuit" value.

With all of that information, I can only think of three possible issues. One is a partial short- or open-circuit in the wiring between the sensor and the module. While this would be the easiest fix, I think it unlikely as I tested continuity on the wires when they were very warm, and wiggled the wires and plugs on both ends while warm, and the reading on VCDS stayed steady at 290. The second possibility is a bad brake pressure sensor, that for some reason functions when cold but fails when warm. This also seems rather unlikely, but I'm not sure how to test it. The third is an issue in the ABS module. As I already once had an issue with an "intermittent short" error on a wheel speed sensor that also triggered the ABS and traction control lights, and ended up being an issue in the ABS module circuit board, this seems the most likely. However, while I have seen other complaints about wheel speed sensor issues that ended up the the ABS module, I've never seen anyone mention a brake pressure sensor error.

So, before I pull out the ABS module (again) and send it in to get fixed, has anyone else ever had this issue? Any suggestions on how to proceed with the troubleshooting? I'd appreciate any assistance I can get!
    RS6 #1, 01E, 2.5" straight pipes, AMD Stage 1 6MT tune, 460awhp/530awtq on AMD's Mustang dyno. TOTALLED.. RS6 #2, Ebony Black Pearl on black/silver combination with carbon, up and running with 6 gears and AMD tune.

210K miles rolled

Quote Originally Posted by MaxRS6 View Post
    Yep, cheapest fix...and fixes a lot of things...

I haven't, I figured since I could actually see the reading from G201 and it was failing in conjunction with the ABS and traction control lights coming on, it must be related to that sensor. But I can easily check the brake light switch to see if it works. I actually have one or two extras lying around.
    RS6 #1, 01E, 2.5" straight pipes, AMD Stage 1 6MT tune, 460awhp/530awtq on AMD's Mustang dyno. TOTALLED.. RS6 #2, Ebony Black Pearl on black/silver combination with carbon, up and running with 6 gears and AMD tune.

Well I tested the brake light switch tonight, after driving long enough to get the error lights. The switch seemed to work fine on all four pins, the brake lights function properly, and the brake pedal disengages cruise control like it should.

Anyone have any other suggestions before I pull the ABS module?

Not over here in this monkey corner. I did replace the ABS once in Crazy's lifetime. The rest of the times, the above have been cured by the brake switch. I did have fun at CoTA once with a bad switch- locked up, created nice smoke, and customized the tire...
    210K miles rolled

Ah yeah I remember seeing that picture, I suppose I can be grateful my issue is so far much more benign than that. Well, barring any other suggestions, I'll be pulling the module (probably this weekend) and sending it off to get repaired. I'll post back with results once it happens.