Thread: EGT sensor DIY repair with photos

EGT sensor DIY repair with photos

I usually lurk this forum, but posts here have helped me with so many repairs that I wanted to contribute.

I purchased VCDS and the first thing that I noticed is that both my EGT sensors were malfunctioning. Here are the codes:

17861 - Exhaust Gas Temp Sensor 1 (G235)
    P1453 - 001 - Open or Short to Plus
    17867 - Exhaust Gas Temp Sensor 2 (G236)
    P1459 - 008 - Implausible Signal

The EGT re-solder is well documented on this website, I followed the same steps as others have, with a few minor adjustments:

First unbolt the EGT sensors from the firewall:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2724 (1).jpg 
Views:	987 
Size:	90.0 KB 
ID:	16853

Name:	IMG_2719 (1).jpg 
Views:	657 
Size:	37.1 KB 
ID:	16854

Gently pry off the tops with a mini screwdriver (make sure they don't break). The circuitboard is covered with silicone gel.

Name:	IMG_2699 (1).jpg 
Views:	1141 
Size:	65.6 KB 
ID:	16855

Remove as much of the silicone gel as you can with a toothbrush and a paper towel (this part took me the longest). Make sure the circled contacts are completely free of silicone gel.

Name:	IMG_2715 (1).jpg 
Views:	1156 
Size:	44.6 KB 
ID:	16856

Clean the whole circuitboard with electrical contact cleaner and compressed air. I got some at home depot. Visually inspect the contacts and make sure they are completely clean. It's really important to get any residual silicone gel off of the solder joint.

Name:	IMG_2716 (1).jpg 
Views:	601 
Size:	44.6 KB 
ID:	16857

Name:	IMG_2717 (1).jpg 
Views:	819 
Size:	35.1 KB 
ID:	16858

Now you are ready to solder. Use a good soldering iron and use a copper sponge to clean the tip before soldering.

Coat all surfaces of the solder joint with soldering flux, heat the joint, and apply a little bit of fresh solder. Pay attention to where the solder contacts the circuit board and make sure you get a good connection (took me two tries).

Name:	IMG_2713 (1).jpg 
Views:	934 
Size:	66.6 KB 
ID:	16859

When you've re-soldered all five contact points, put the lids back on and connect the sensors (don't bolt to the firewall yet). Clear DTCs with vag-com and log exhaust temps, engine measuring block 112. If sensors still don't work, disconnect again and re-solder.

If both sensors work, take the lids off, and apply silicone gel to the circuitboard. I cleaned the board again before applying. Silicone protects from heat and moisture (obviously these sensors are fragile). Let it cure without the lid on.

Name:	IMG_2718 (1).jpg 
Views:	678 
Size:	30.2 KB 
ID:	16860

Re-attach lids using your favorite adhesive (for me zip ties) and bolt back onto the firewall.

Name:	IMG_2726 (1).jpg 
Views:	594 
Size:	115.2 KB 
ID:	16861

Treat yourself since you just saved $500 on new sensors and who knows how much on labor (sensor probes are attached to the downpipes $$$$)

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2724 (1).jpg 
Views:	446 
Size:	85.8 KB 
ID:	16852  

Very nice write up! Pretty much exactly what I did. I've actually done it twice now, the first time I apparently didn't do a good enough job and they stopped working after about a month. The second time I actually completely removed the sensors from the car to work on them at a table, but it's a struggle getting the sensors off the downpipes. I have a manual transmission, I'm not sure if it's even possible with the auto.
    RS6 #1, 01E, 2.5" straight pipes, AMD Stage 1 6MT tune, 460awhp/530awtq on AMD's Mustang dyno. TOTALLED.. RS6 #2, Ebony Black Pearl on black/silver combination with carbon, up and running with 6 gears and AMD tune.

Welcome! And thanks for the contribution. I'll grab some of your information and add it to my DIY page. http://audirssix.com/index.php/overview/maintenance

Post some info and pics of the car if you get a chance. Also update your location in your profile, cheers.
    Ace/Edge TC - Tozo Trans - MTM TCU - REVO/ME7 tune - Wagner IC's w/ Venair Hoses - Aux Radiator delete - Hotchkis Sways - Hawk HPS Pads - Koni Sport Struts - Scroll KO4 Turbos - Devil's Own WM - 421whp/452wtq on Mustang Dyno - http://www.audirssix.com

done
    posted in the VIN thread

Quote Originally Posted by sleeprs6 View Post
    done
    posted in the VIN thread
    That is acceptable...nice looking ride!
    Ace/Edge TC - Tozo Trans - MTM TCU - REVO/ME7 tune - Wagner IC's w/ Venair Hoses - Aux Radiator delete - Hotchkis Sways - Hawk HPS Pads - Koni Sport Struts - Scroll KO4 Turbos - Devil's Own WM - 421whp/452wtq on Mustang Dyno - http://www.audirssix.com

I did this a while back, but instead of using the stock internals I purchased replacements from these guys, and used this non corrosive silicone.
    St Augustine, FL
    03 RS6
    07 GTI
    88 16v Cabby

thanks, nice page! I used it to do this EGT job.
    Los Angeles CA - stock tune and DRC, K&N filters, straight catback exhaust, 19" VMR wheels, and cupra splitter. 85,XXX miles and counting

Great Job SleepRS6

Good info
    2003 Audi RS6
    Daytona Grey
    APR EMCS

Great write up. I did mine and it fixed the EGT problem.

Good right up thanks, any tips on how to remove the black stuff they cover the circuits boards with on the later EGT sensors?
    Last edited by bilko1; November 11th, 2015 at 00:43.

Thanks sleeprs6! Saved my life today - if it is hard for someone who is in USA to deal with EGTīs, can you imagine how it is to someone who is in Brazil (only 25 RS6 c5īs came to my country)? Your DIY tutorial was wonderfull!

Name:	22860701_487936618251040_647060848.jpg 
Views:	349 
Size:	107.9 KB 
ID:	18323