Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Name That LEAK!

I checked the oil level...LOL down to middle of range. So it is oil

'18 BMW M5, '19 Porsche Boxster GTS
    (prior '94 325is, '97 M3, '00 A6 4.2,'03 RS6,'08 A4 Cab,'13 A8L,'15 Q7,'16 BMW M2,

Are the sides of the bellhousing 'wet' or just the bottom? Wet sides would confirm oil leaking down from above from valve covers. Get out your flashlight and look down behind your heads. If you have the SAI still in place, it might be more difficult to see, but use one of those small mirrors on an extension arm if need be. I'd put money on it not being a RMS.
    '02 S6 Avant Silver - Pokey | Carbon Black/Ebony RS6 w/ stuff - darn quick | '03 Daytona Grey/Ebony RS6 w/ more stuff - quicker yet | '91 NSX CDN issue with 6spd & BBSC - quicker yet and then some | '87 Buick GNX OEM clone w/ lots of stuff - quickest hands down

Quote Originally Posted by Aronis View Post
    I checked the oil level...LOL down to middle of range. So it is oil

Appreciate the advanced troubleshooting method.

Update.

I had the car up on my ramps and checked every spot I could see, the only place oil was found was on the bottom of the transmission bell housing. There is nothing leaking from the valve covers.

I had the car up on a lift yesterday. It's definitely the rear main seal.

My mechanic begins on Monday. Pull the engine!

We plan on repairing the obvious leak, then replacing input and output shaft seals on transmission, swapping plastic for the Bufkin pipe, new CV boot on passenger side (third one this year), checking turbos for oil leaks, checking plumbing etc, probably doing the timing belt (was done 12,000 miles ago, so probably not necessary), spark plugs/packs, no power upgrades keeping it stock since I don't want to kill the transmission LOL. Replace whatever looks worn.

Photos will follow. LOL.....

He expects to charge for about 25 hours as per Audi service book for engine/transmission pull, plus or minus. Hoping to keep the repair below $3500.00.

Mike
    (prior '94 325is, '97 M3, '00 A6 4.2,'03 RS6,'08 A4 Cab,'13 A8L,'15 Q7,'16 BMW M2,

Fun fun fun. Keep us posted.
    '02 S6 Avant Silver - Pokey | Carbon Black/Ebony RS6 w/ stuff - darn quick | '03 Daytona Grey/Ebony RS6 w/ more stuff - quicker yet | '91 NSX CDN issue with 6spd & BBSC - quicker yet and then some | '87 Buick GNX OEM clone w/ lots of stuff - quickest hands down

Any more info on where the leak originated?

Mechanic was supposed to start today. LOL.....maybe in 2016.....still looks like rear main seal.

It began today.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_6518.jpg 
Views:	157 
Size:	66.1 KB 
ID:	16931

started today, mechanic sent me a picture.

Cant tell you how many things I have been able to buy for fun since I stopped funding Audi thru my RS6. What a poorly designed auto we all bought into. For contrast, I moved into a 2013 S5 and now coming up on 3 years, I have not had one single problem with this superb machine.. We got so accustomed to taking the RS6 in for repairs every few months that having a car that works is something we had forgotten the feeling of.. Its nice to again have confidence in the reliability of your car so we can enjoy trips without the fear of breaking down and not being able to get parts/techs etc.. I strongly recommend this to all.. Happy Holidays!!

Quote Originally Posted by Hy Octane View Post
    Cant tell you how many things I have been able to buy for fun since I stopped funding Audi thru my RS6. What a poorly designed auto we all bought into. For contrast, I moved into a 2013 S5 and now coming up on 3 years, I have not had one single problem with this superb machine.. We got so accustomed to taking the RS6 in for repairs every few months that having a car that works is something we had forgotten the feeling of.. Its nice to again have confidence in the reliability of your car so we can enjoy trips without the fear of breaking down and not being able to get parts/techs etc.. I strongly recommend this to all.. Happy Holidays!!
    A decade in car design/engineering should make for a better. Just wait until you need to address your timing chains though. You might be singing a different song at that point...

That's cool. Wanna race?
    2014 S8 - Daytona Gray Pearl Effect, APR Stage 2 Tune, APR downpipes

Quote Originally Posted by Bigglezworth View Post
    A decade in car design/engineering should make for a better. Just wait until you need to address your timing chains though. You might be singing a different song at that point...

Agree with both of these...and still love my mid 10sec V...and yes, I know it's only RWD...

I hear you! LOL

Update.....there ARE two leaks.

Yes the rear main seal is leaking oil but not quite enough to puddle on the floor. The fluid on the floor I thought was coolant, but was not quite right, was indeed a leak from the oil coolant pipe, it was discolored by dirt on the floor I guess. LOL.

We found a good amount of oil in the lower intercooler pipe on the drivers side when he took that tube off, I was watching and it made a nice puddle on the floor, probably 1/2 cup or more. And a small amount of oil was in the intercooler pipe on the passenger side. I understand a small amount is not that unusual but the driver side turbo may be an issue.

The engine should be out tomorrow..

Mike

Its all a matter of perspective I suppose. what you fail to see it that just like so many others your are still funding the audi machine, but even more so now. im not sure of purchase price of a new S5 but around $60k I would guess?. Now 3 years old , so now worth 40ish, so that's 8-10k a year on depreciation. so in a couple more years worth around 25k. ouch, and you say the RS6 costs money!
    No matter how much I made I still would never buy a new car, huge waste of money. piece of mind might be worth it to some and that I can understand, but what a cost. Ive heard all the horror stories, but my beast is 2 years old to me, ive driven near 20,000kms and ive put in $1800 ($1000 was new RNSE). Pretty good value for that amazing V8 music ( how's the V6? ) Times have changed and sure the RS6 has its faults, but the S5 is not even a similar machine, and like Bigglezworth says, better get rid before those timing chains need attention!, merry Christmas!!!
    2010 XC90 exec, winter machine (V8 of course)
    2004 RS6 official Canadian edition, Daytona grey, (best colour!), summer edition
    2011 Q7 TDI, general alrounder

Unfortunately you never had a competent mechanic...give the S5 12 years and see what fails, old parts need to be replaced, but again who would want an S5 that long anyhow
    Ace/Edge TC - Tozo Trans - MTM TCU - REVO/ME7 tune - Wagner IC's w/ Venair Hoses - Aux Radiator delete - Hotchkis Sways - Hawk HPS Pads - Koni Sport Struts - Scroll KO4 Turbos - Devil's Own WM - 421whp/452wtq on Mustang Dyno - http://www.audirssix.com

Quote Originally Posted by Aronis View Post
    Update.....there ARE two leaks.

Yes the rear main seal is leaking oil but not quite enough to puddle on the floor. The fluid on the floor I thought was coolant, but was not quite right, was indeed a leak from the oil coolant pipe, it was discolored by dirt on the floor I guess. LOL.

We found a good amount of oil in the lower intercooler pipe on the drivers side when he took that tube off, I was watching and it made a nice puddle on the floor, probably 1/2 cup or more. And a small amount of oil was in the intercooler pipe on the passenger side. I understand a small amount is not that unusual but the driver side turbo may be an issue.

The engine should be out tomorrow..

Mike
    Good to finally replace that oil/coolant pipe with metal, it lasted a while actually. Your car should be ready by the time it snows at least!
    Ace/Edge TC - Tozo Trans - MTM TCU - REVO/ME7 tune - Wagner IC's w/ Venair Hoses - Aux Radiator delete - Hotchkis Sways - Hawk HPS Pads - Koni Sport Struts - Scroll KO4 Turbos - Devil's Own WM - 421whp/452wtq on Mustang Dyno - http://www.audirssix.com

That coolant pipe is tricky sometimes.

I always thought that mine leaked only when the car wasn't running. It turns out that it did leak when running but the fluid seemed to have been directed either by the fans or the air moving under the car when in motion. In my case, coolant was drawn towards the front of the engine and my initial thought was that that my FMS was leaking.

Tricky
    2012 Q7 TDI S-Line - 2010 GTI - 2007 A3 3.2 S-Line - 2003 RS6
    2001 Honda S2000 - 1977 Honda CBR 750-F2 - 1965 GMC 1500 WideSide