Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: So I'm trying to sell my RS6..

So I'm trying to sell my RS6..

I put the word out locally that I was looking to detach from my RS6.

Anyway out here in AR there are only a handful of people that would even semi want it, and one of them had me bring it in to the shop today to check out.

After pulling codes, checking cylinders, looking for leaks etc etc he gave me an offer a few hours later. Mind you there are a few things it needs, but it drives great and has a brand new trans + ACE tc. Ok not new, 1,500 miles.

It needs brakes, steering rack, rear main, and motor mount. The interest party is a Merc mechanic with 3 S4's so it's not like the work will be brutal for him.

Looking for some input on what the car might actually be worth :/ If I should even entertain his offer

117k mi

Even for the experienced mechanic the rear main seal still means pulling the engine/tranny and splitting them to get at it, so that includes pulling the T.C. and flex plate to replace it so a lot of work for any mechanic, not necessarily difficult for the experienced but a lot of labor involved. Brakes will be $700 parts (pads and discs) at the low end, motor mount is only around $100 but once again time/labor intensive, steering rack, biggie too (best to do it when pulling the engine/tranny then it will be easy). A fair amount of work with only $1500 total in parts for a good mechanic, if a dealer/shop does it quadruple that price.
    2003 White RS6 2013 Midnight Blue S5
    2013 Daytona RS5 2x944 Turbo's 1974 911 w/'91 3.6ltr motor
    Roy, WA

I understand the rear main is going to require a bit of time.
    He offered 9k, and I'm only considering because of the rack

Put it this way. I would wager the bank that the rear seal isn't leaking enough to warrant immediate replacement. There are numerous situations where upon the entire powerplant needs to be pulled over the lifetime of the car (the reason there are specific tables for this type of open heart surgery for this ride), and I would wager the bank that the seller wouldn't undertake this work until absolutely necessary. I personally think 9K is too low even with what you've outlined. I would be more in the 12-13K range accounting for what you've outlined. I value a rear seal as being a $3K impact to final sale. No more.
    '02 S6 Avant Silver - Pokey | Carbon Black/Ebony RS6 w/ stuff - darn quick | '03 Daytona Grey/Ebony RS6 w/ more stuff - quicker yet | '91 NSX CDN issue with 6spd & BBSC - quicker yet and then some | '87 Buick GNX OEM clone w/ lots of stuff - quickest hands down

$12k is honestly my bottom line, otherwise it's basically not worth my time. However, I was seeking additional input to see if I needed to adjust my standard.

How bad is the rear main leak?

Whats wrong with the ps rack?

Condition of car? Pics?

Are you positive the RMS is leaking? I've seen valve cover gaskets or the afterrun pump misdiagnosed as a leaking RMS.
    2012 Q7 TDI S-Line - 2010 GTI - 2007 A3 3.2 S-Line - 2003 RS6
    2001 Honda S2000 - 1977 Honda CBR 750-F2 - 1965 GMC 1500 WideSide

Quote Originally Posted by steveken View Post
    are you positive the rms is leaking? I've seen valve cover gaskets or the afterrun pump misdiagnosed as a leaking rms.
    exactly!
    '02 S6 Avant Silver - Pokey | Carbon Black/Ebony RS6 w/ stuff - darn quick | '03 Daytona Grey/Ebony RS6 w/ more stuff - quicker yet | '91 NSX CDN issue with 6spd & BBSC - quicker yet and then some | '87 Buick GNX OEM clone w/ lots of stuff - quickest hands down

I'll just add, as someone recently shopping, the fresh trans and TC is definitely worth something. When I was "valuing" various cars, the status of the transmission was a significant factor. Honestly, the fresh trans would offset a good chunk of the cost of the other repairs. $12k seems pretty cheap, assuming the rest of the car is generally in good shape. How's the DRC? any recalls done? general condition of the interior and exterior?

Quote Originally Posted by rs6BC View Post
    ...it drives great and has a brand new trans + ACE tc. Ok not new, 1,500 miles.
    There is no other reason to believe a RMS would start to 'leak' after just having a transmission swap in which one would have clearly noticed a bad performing seal.... As Steve states above, oil on back side & rear underside of engine is almost always attributed to oil leaking from something other than a RMS.

When I had my RS6, the RMS was said to be "leaking" by a BMW mech.

I paid no mind to it as it wasn't enough to pull the motor and it was a BMW mech that had no clue about how to spell RS6 (invoice for transmission F/F read RS9).
    Took it to Audi Miramar and Hoehn Carlsbad and Raven MS and Pure MS, not one word about RMS ever came up.

If the non-Bufkin pipe fails, RMS at the same time.

A photo might help the community.
    SOLD - 03 RS6 Avus (905355)
    Current - 03 Toyota Tacoma 4x4 double cab - the YETI, lifted, winched, snorkeled, lockered, skidded, geared

Depending on weather I'll try to get some pictures tomorrow morning. Exterior and interior are good, just needs a good buff

Bueller?

Quote Originally Posted by DHall1 View Post
    How bad is the rear main leak?

Whats wrong with the ps rack?

Condition of car? Pics?

Quote Originally Posted by rs6BC View Post
    It needs brakes, steering rack, rear main, and motor mount.
    Pads or pads and rotors? If pads are low, slap on a $25 front and $20 rear set of pads just so the PPI inspector doesn't have an excuse to say it needs brakes. What's the matter with the rack if it drives great? Leaks? And the rear main, leaks? It's a 12 year old used car. All older cars leak. How much does an extra quart of oil or PS fluid cost every 1000 miles vs. the cost of pulling the engine? Tell him to live with it. In fact, with a new trans (and what is an ACE) if the guy doesn't want to pay $12K, tell him to pound sand. He won't find a better deal. Hell, show him my ad for a car that needs trans work selling for $12K.

Decided not to sell it.
    Finally was able to get it to my indy and the rear main is not leaking at all, it was changed when the Trans and motor were out. Anyway.. The rack is fine, it was just literally hanging on by a thread though. It got much much worse since the original post. All being fixed now though and it's costing about what I spend on coffee a week so meh.

Didn't want to just leave the thread open since I've been busy.

TLDR : no leaks, good rack, new brakes, no sale

That is great news, but where was the oil coming from if no leak?

My engine/tranny is about out of the car and I know there are two leaks LOL.

Mike
    '18 BMW M5, '19 Porsche Boxster GTS
    (prior '94 325is, '97 M3, '00 A6 4.2,'03 RS6,'08 A4 Cab,'13 A8L,'15 Q7,'16 BMW M2,

Glad to see your keeping it and keeping her on the road.
    -Mike-
    03 RS6 Mugello/Ivory #905565
    01 S4 Casa/sport/6spd

It's probably from a tiny leak on the valve cover honestly. It never spots when parked so I'm not really worried about.