Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Tansmission / torque converted imploded 500 mi.s after fluid change

Quote Originally Posted by CBeau View Post
    I thought all the blown trans' must have been from people throwing 100+ more HP & TQ at the stock trans and/or driving them like idiots when racing new Porsches, shifting on the rev limiter under full load etc...
    Fixed that...but damn it's fun. Trying to be more reasonable these days.

I SWEAR that shifting in Tip/Manual provides a slower shift and was the reason for my last trans demise. Shifting in Drive feels better, and shifting in Sport is crisp. All this with an MTM TCU chip. Hmmm...

I think with the old trans fluid issues, there's a point of no return, as in changing at 80k on a decent trans compared to changing on a 100k beat down trans. Nothing can be proven, but I have to wonder about these fancy custom fluids looking great on paper, but maybe not what an old worn trans needs. This has happened many times now. Real problem is trying to bandaid a 12 year old trans. Just put a new one in and be happy for another 12 years!
    Ace/Edge TC - Tozo Trans - MTM TCU - REVO/ME7 tune - Wagner IC's w/ Venair Hoses - Aux Radiator delete - Hotchkis Sways - Hawk HPS Pads - Koni Sport Struts - Scroll KO4 Turbos - Devil's Own WM - 421whp/452wtq on Mustang Dyno - http://www.audirssix.com

I scanned through this post so don't blast me if I missed something. Just thought I would throw this out there but I have a good core I can get to tozo in Chicago if you want. Mine had a broken input shaft but the fluid looked good and there was absolutley no metal in the pan. It currently has new fluid and filter in it. I swapped it out for a 6 speed. Figured why not?

My two cents on 517trans. Sam specifically; he's not entirely trustworthy. He WILL NOT refund or otherwise credit you for anything you give him. I tried for 6 months to get my deposit returned from him and he flat ignores my requests. Have all the correspondence.

CBeau,

Yes I am the original owner.....

Mike
    '18 BMW M5, '19 Porsche Boxster GTS
    (prior '94 325is, '97 M3, '00 A6 4.2,'03 RS6,'08 A4 Cab,'13 A8L,'15 Q7,'16 BMW M2,

I still haven't done anything with regards to fixing this. Car has just been sitting, I start every now and then keep battery tender on it.... lack of time and lazy and have other cars. But other day I started it and let it sit and idle for good 15 mins. and drove maybe 1 mile on local roads / around the block type of thing and car drove normal. Obviously something very not right was going on when first displayed symptoms of banging into gear and fault lights on gear selector icons etc... but would the fact it just now drove ok for a bit hint more towards being the TC or valve body or what?? I was thinking trans fluid probably doesn't get to full operating temps unless trans in drive?? so maybe problem wouldn't show until then and I only drove it for a bit but it did idle and motor oil, coolant etc. were all up to normal operating temps. And I really don't think it matters to me a lot bc my research to date has lead me to think that given age of car and problematic nature of trans that if going all thru TC replacement might as well get trans rebuilt too. Thoughts? I know a ton of you have been thru blown trans / TC..... shouldn't be a shortage of experiences lol. The cars values are really getting low, makes you scratch your head a little more when prospecting throwing a chunk of change at it. I'd pull the trans off myself but its still a bit of $$ to have fixed properly.

Dude. Your transmission is shot. Plain and simple. You can risk driving it around yes, but alas shortly - and I mean shortly - i.e. within 50km, you will see the tranny drop gear, rev high because you would have had your foot on the gas pedal at the time, and then spam in to gear - followed quickly by entire loss of the gear. You 'might' then be able to limp it to a final resting spot that you can then undertake repairs. This is a guarantee and inevitable. The TQ is not what is causing this. It is within the tranny. Once this tranny is opened up, you will guaranteed see a broken seal, or broken band that is causing the problem.

Due to the contamination the fluid is going to be experiencing, it is recommended you have a qualified TQ shop confirm if the TQ can still be reused. The tranny will need a rebuild kit installed. Valve body is likely fine. New filter, fluid, etc.
    '02 S6 Avant Silver - Pokey | Carbon Black/Ebony RS6 w/ stuff - darn quick | '03 Daytona Grey/Ebony RS6 w/ more stuff - quicker yet | '91 NSX CDN issue with 6spd & BBSC - quicker yet and then some | '87 Buick GNX OEM clone w/ lots of stuff - quickest hands down

Best to change/rebuild the trans, converter, and flush the cooler.

You will have so much debris in that fluid that all the items above are compromised and if you don't change the converter, flush the lines you will blow the replacement/rebuilt trans as well.
    2008 A4 2.0TQ Quartz Grey Metallic S-Line/Titanium Package
    2017 A4 2.0TQ Glacier White Metallic Prestige Sport
    2003 RS6 TOTALED.-----Searching for a replacement

Quote Originally Posted by marklar182 View Post
    Best to change/rebuild the trans, converter, and flush the cooler.

You will have so much debris in that fluid that all the items above are compromised and if you don't change the converter, flush the lines you will blow the replacement/rebuilt trans as well.
    Maybe this is what cause the failure after 500 mi.?
    2012 Q7 TDI S-Line - 2010 GTI - 2007 A3 3.2 S-Line - 2003 RS6
    2001 Honda S2000 - 1977 Honda CBR 750-F2 - 1965 GMC 1500 WideSide

Quote Originally Posted by Bigglezworth View Post
    Dude. Your transmission is shot. Plain and simple. You can risk driving it around yes, but alas shortly - and I mean shortly - i.e. within 50km, you will see the tranny drop gear, rev high because you would have had your foot on the gas pedal at the time, and then spam in to gear - followed quickly by entire loss of the gear. You 'might' then be able to limp it to a final resting spot that you can then undertake repairs. This is a guarantee and inevitable. The TQ is not what is causing this. It is within the tranny. Once this tranny is opened up, you will guaranteed see a broken seal, or broken band that is causing the problem.

Due to the contamination the fluid is going to be experiencing, it is recommended you have a qualified TQ shop confirm if the TQ can still be reused. The tranny will need a rebuild kit installed. Valve body is likely fine. New filter, fluid, etc.
    Thanks Bigglez, saved me all that typing. Please refer to Torque Converter as TC and I will fully approve.

CB, swap out both the TC and Trans, no question. Rebuilt TC is $500. You could rebuild the Trans on your own, parts around $1,500. I've considered buying a spare and doing it for kicks, need more garage space. There's a great step by step on the rebuild, just Google rs246.com for the thread. Or get a rebuilt for $3-6k.

I think the biggest misconception with spending $5-10k on a new drivetrain is that it will need to be done again soon. In theory, the trans will last another 10 years, like the first one did. Plenty have held up for 10 years and 100k. Then you can focus on the oil and coolant leaks, and sensor failures
    Ace/Edge TC - Tozo Trans - MTM TCU - REVO/ME7 tune - Wagner IC's w/ Venair Hoses - Aux Radiator delete - Hotchkis Sways - Hawk HPS Pads - Koni Sport Struts - Scroll KO4 Turbos - Devil's Own WM - 421whp/452wtq on Mustang Dyno - http://www.audirssix.com

While I can't offer much insight, I can say that when I sold my original transmission to another member here when I did my swap, as a favor and part of the deal, I delivered it to 517. I met Sam and he showed me around the shop and what they do and how they do it. As I understood it, he told me that for the RS6, he has a guy that custom makes his own clutches and also machines new clutch baskets...etc...Likely why his transmissions seems to last a little longer and he warrantees them. True? Not true? Not sure. I haven't heard from the person I sold it to, or seen them here in a while, but I do know that they had a communication problems with regard to reaching 517. Tozo has a brand new rebuilt unit ready to go. Reach out to him and be done with it. Good luck with whatever you choose and buy another car to go fast.

http://www.rs6.com/showthread.php/32...-rebuilt-trans

Audi said they changed the converter on my car awhile ago, I started noticing weird shit happening so I went ahead and pulled the pan to check things out, the filter was cracked and was not trimmed at all either. I decided to change the fluid to Redline D4, trim the filter and it's been the best shifting tranny ever since, I do "get on it" from time to time and it's been perfect ever since the fluid change... and i have more than 500 miles on the fluid change at this time

Absolutely zero issues. Shifts are nice and firm, No TCU yet.
    BB GT28's w/ Tial Wastegates, Full 3" Open Exhaust, Wagners, Billet Triple Disk Converter, Built Trans, Exedy Friction Disks, ECU/TCU Tuned, 450/AEM400/1000cc/AFPR, E85, R8 Coils, Nubcake Tuned. Fastest RS6 in the USA :)

Quote Originally Posted by s8prtotype View Post
    Audi said they changed the converter on my car awhile ago, I started noticing weird shit happening so I went ahead and pulled the pan to check things out, the filter was cracked and was not trimmed at all either. I decided to change the fluid to Redline D4, trim the filter and it's been the best shifting tranny ever since, I do "get on it" from time to time and it's been perfect ever since the fluid change... and i have more than 500 miles on the fluid change at this time

Absolutely zero issues. Shifts are nice and firm, No TCU yet.
    Yeah, this reminds me. When I bought my car, it was traded in because the transmission was acting up. After the deal, we got it up on a lift, dropped the pan and also found the filter cracked along the edge. Replaced filter and fluid, ran great until it didn't...a year later...

If it goes i get a x5m and slap a tune on it to try to beat other awd cars lol
    BB GT28's w/ Tial Wastegates, Full 3" Open Exhaust, Wagners, Billet Triple Disk Converter, Built Trans, Exedy Friction Disks, ECU/TCU Tuned, 450/AEM400/1000cc/AFPR, E85, R8 Coils, Nubcake Tuned. Fastest RS6 in the USA :)