Thread: Help intentifing a leak

Help intentifing a leak

I assumed it was a passenger valve cover but it isn't. I'm getting oil dripping down the passenger side exhaust manifold and onto the a arm-suspension area. It isnt the oil cooler, that's all dry. The bottom of the valve cover is dry as well, its something near the rear of the motor, that drips onto the top of the exhaust manifold, I don't have any good diagrams even though I have access to the Bentley manuals.

Im certain I had a valve cover leak before but I can see with a inspection mirror that it isnt leaking there, but its difficult to tell if its behind (on the backside of the cover) because of the crap in the way.

Does anyone have any ideas what I should be looking for other than ripping the engine out of the chassis? Im not really wanting to go there unless I have to.

Disregard, I found it. I think I have a crack in the valve cover. Ill remove it again and have it bead blasted for further inspection.

I have the same problem, let me know what you found

Passenger side is also where the oil and coolant unit has the common leak from a crappy plastic pipe. Search Bufkin Pipe for the metal replacement.
    Ace/Edge TC - Tozo Trans - MTM TCU - REVO/ME7 tune - Wagner IC's w/ Venair Hoses - Aux Radiator delete - Hotchkis Sways - Hawk HPS Pads - Koni Sport Struts - Scroll KO4 Turbos - Devil's Own WM - 421whp/452wtq on Mustang Dyno - http://www.audirssix.com

The issue was the cam cap, or cam tension gaskets, either way replaced both and so far no leak. I did not remove the cam to replace the half-moon and gasket under the cam chain tension deal. I just pulled up on it and pulled the old out and slid the new ones in place. I did use some rtv that had been sitting for 20 minutes or so while I wrestled out the old ones.

The worst part is getting by the combo valve (EGR). Part of me wishes I had removed the motor and transmission straight away to complete the 85k service that I wasnt sure had been done. Still need to replace the fluids in teh diffs as well and the seal but that can be done in a week or two after its aligned.

Quote Originally Posted by 6172crew View Post
    The issue was the cam cap, or cam tension gaskets, either way replaced both and so far no leak. I did not remove the cam to replace the half-moon and gasket under the cam chain tension deal. I just pulled up on it and pulled the old out and slid the new ones in place. I did use some rtv that had been sitting for 20 minutes or so while I wrestled out the old ones.
    I hope you know that this particular gasket is called to be compression only and not to include the use of sealant? There is an oil gallery that feeds the cam tensioner and if you have too much sealant that squishes out the side when you torque down the cap, you run the risk of plugging up the oil gallery that ensures proper oil pressure to the cam tensioner and it's possible that cam timing might be affected as a result.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_7971.jpg 
Views:	206 
Size:	76.5 KB 
ID:	16864
    '02 S6 Avant Silver - Pokey | Carbon Black/Ebony RS6 w/ stuff - darn quick | '03 Daytona Grey/Ebony RS6 w/ more stuff - quicker yet | '91 NSX CDN issue with 6spd & BBSC - quicker yet and then some | '87 Buick GNX OEM clone w/ lots of stuff - quickest hands down

The sealant was put on each end, never in teh middle. Thanks for posting pics.