Thread: Okay, why does nobody have a correct size battery?

Okay, why does nobody have a correct size battery?

In my trials and tribulations I see my battery is not long enough. Its just over 13" long and so is every single one from all of my parts places no matter what brand. Car looks like it wants at least a 16" long battery.

Am I missing something?

2014 S8 - Daytona Gray Pearl Effect, APR Stage 2 Tune, APR downpipes

Quote Originally Posted by LaserSVT View Post
    In my trials and tribulations I see my battery is not long enough. Its just over 13" long and so is every single one from all of my parts places no matter what brand. Car looks like it wants at least a 16" long battery.

Am I missing something?
    Nope, nobody seems to stock the correct battery anywhere. I finally ended up getting one from Triple-A roadside service when the THIRD battery I'd gotten from Advanced Auto started leaking (the first two leaked as well) - $190 or thereabouts. I'll repost up when I get back out to the car and get you the _proper_ battery size.

O_E
    #905530 - Brilliant Black on Ebony. Sorted, running strong, ready for a new owner.
    No, I am not the board admin - that's Erik (from Sweden), I'm Other_Erik (from the US)

Thank you sir. The battery is new and AGM but I want the proper battery in there. Seen too many sliding batteries cause issues.

Drill and tap a new hole to receive the hold down clip for the smaller size.
    '02 S6 Avant Silver - Pokey | Carbon Black/Ebony RS6 w/ stuff - darn quick | '03 Daytona Grey/Ebony RS6 w/ more stuff - quicker yet | '91 NSX CDN issue with 6spd & BBSC - quicker yet and then some | '87 Buick GNX OEM clone w/ lots of stuff - quickest hands down

I got a battery from Batteries Plus - 3 yr full wty, and 80 mth prorated for around $120. Made a spacer out of aluminum - fitment problem solved
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0347.JPG 
Views:	165 
Size:	109.4 KB 
ID:	16801

Name:	IMG_0348.JPG 
Views:	95 
Size:	121.5 KB 
ID:	16800

Batteries Plus does still carry - $149.99 Model SLI49H8M

I just went thru same thing. I got AGM one from Advanced, it was like $180 but I have wholesale account so maybe 15-20% more retail, and it is proper width side to side but short front back. I just placed battery front to back wise as far forward as it would go & left back hold-down plate off. The outside long side of battery goes under the mounting / hold-down lip in the battery tray anyway and with just the side hold-down plate on it isn't moving anywhere. The vent hose in rear is a little stretched / tighter but not a problem.

The RS6 uses the same battery that's in the 4.2 Q7.

They should be readily available at the dealer. They should have given you one for free but I wouldn't trust them to install it as they'd probably screw that up too.
    2012 Q7 TDI S-Line - 2010 GTI - 2007 A3 3.2 S-Line - 2003 RS6
    2001 Honda S2000 - 1977 Honda CBR 750-F2 - 1965 GMC 1500 WideSide

Quote Originally Posted by Bigglezworth View Post
    Drill and tap a new hole to receive the hold down clip for the smaller size.
    Smart man. I knew there was a reason I liked you.

That's the same solution I came up with about 6 hours ago. Makes the nut a little harder to mess with but my GearWrenches have a lip to hold the nut so no problem.

Quote Originally Posted by cruzanrs6 View Post
    I got a battery from Batteries Plus - 3 yr full wty, and 80 mth prorated for around $120. Made a spacer out of aluminum - fitment problem solved

Name:	IMG_0347.JPG 
Views:	165 
Size:	109.4 KB 
ID:	16801
    Equally suitable solution. Just need to keep it from sliding around or tipping while you're racing around corners. Gravity works in your favour otherwise as it's not going to jump up out of place.
    '02 S6 Avant Silver - Pokey | Carbon Black/Ebony RS6 w/ stuff - darn quick | '03 Daytona Grey/Ebony RS6 w/ more stuff - quicker yet | '91 NSX CDN issue with 6spd & BBSC - quicker yet and then some | '87 Buick GNX OEM clone w/ lots of stuff - quickest hands down

Drill and tap, that's what I did with both of mine....saves weight, saves $$

You all are hurting my feelings not acknowledging my prior post..... I'm telling you with the long side hold-down bracket alone the MFer ain't moving.... not a smidge. I know, "the engineers put the other bracket there for a reason", drill holes in your body if you want, suit yourself.

For what it's worth I recommend the Audi replacement. It has a four year free replacement warranty and is pro-rated after the end of year four. I just replaced my original battery. I believe it died because the car is not driven often and was not on a battery tender. Originally I tried a AC Delco replacement, but it was still too short by three inches. The Audi battery was only around $40.00 more. I agree it's a boat anchor, but the battery outperforms any others I have experienced especially if the car is not driven often.

That POS Autozone battery just gave out a couple weeks ago but I ended up using an oreilly AGM battery. Been running them for a few years in my truck and other car and they work excellent. Didnt feel like driving 100 miles to Audi. lol

As Steve said above, Audi had the RS6 battery in stock, same as used in q7.... Also, VW has the same battery in stock as well. Was 14.00 less at my VW dealer, but the drive is further...

no reason to use anything else but the Audi/vw part in my opinion....

I can think of a few reasons to use a smaller battery...but they involve water and meth, which isn't healthy.

Ace/Edge TC - Tozo Trans - MTM TCU - REVO/ME7 tune - Wagner IC's w/ Venair Hoses - Aux Radiator delete - Hotchkis Sways - Hawk HPS Pads - Koni Sport Struts - Scroll KO4 Turbos - Devil's Own WM - 421whp/452wtq on Mustang Dyno - http://www.audirssix.com