Thread: Moving to the Emerald City

Moving to the Emerald City

Hey folks, been awhile since I have been on here as all Things are running fairly well. I've got a question for all of you in Washington state. Planning on moving from Utah (where we don't have emissions) to downtown Seattle where they seem to be more strict. I was going to bring both RS's to Washington, but I am concerned about emissions as Thing 2 has the SAI delete. Also, Thing 1 is throwing a SAI airflow low code every once in a while.

Is it possible to register Thing 2 in Washington? Thanks in advance.

Ah, well. They only check the ODBII connector, not the tailpipe sniffer.

Be warned: LOTS of hippies in Prius, LOTS of Prius, LOTS of left-lane drivers at SPOT-ON 60MPH, not many locations to get above 60 mph as the freeways are clogged.
    Patience is the key as traffic is only getting worse and the mayor is making it challenging to even drive downtown.
    Go east on I-90 to rip up the mountains.

WSP are kind of dill-holes.

You should be fine.
    SOLD - 03 RS6 Avus (905355)
    Current - 03 Toyota Tacoma 4x4 double cab - the YETI, lifted, winched, snorkeled, lockered, skidded, geared

Thanks Ben, Thing 2 has the Eurocharged tune with the SAI coded out. Will it get noticed? Also, hate to say it, but moving to the Lake Union area and reviewing my need for the beast....or at least the need for 3.

Quote Originally Posted by 905084 View Post
    Thanks Ben, Thing 2 has the Eurocharged tune with the SAI coded out. Will it get noticed? Also, hate to say it, but moving to the Lake Union area and reviewing my need for the beast....or at least the need for 3.
    I don't think so BUT I am not the expert on SAI delete.
    When I had to smog the RS6 in WA, they had me turn off the car, start it with the ODBII connected and about 2 minutes later, I was done.
    I had no engine mods or chip ECU/TCU tunes.
    I know that Marc (hagnmh63) resides in Eatonville, I think is outside King County = no emissions? He did the SAI delete IIRC. And is tuned ECU/TCU.

Lake Union?!?! Amazon?

If that is correct, that is one of THEE busiest areas in Seattle.
    Construction is clogging Mercer.
    Coming from California, with room to boost, and then to the confines of Seattle that has grown so much without addressing infrastructure = fail.
    SOLD - 03 RS6 Avus (905355)
    Current - 03 Toyota Tacoma 4x4 double cab - the YETI, lifted, winched, snorkeled, lockered, skidded, geared

If you're moving to the South Lake Union neighborhood with all the Amazombies, parking will definitely be an issue, since there are only apartments and condos in that area where you usually have to pay for parking spaces and it's expensive.

Regarding emissions, not all counties in Washington require testing, but the more populous Puget Sound counties do (including Pierce County, which is where I believe Mark lives). If you want to get tricky, you could register your car in, say, Jefferson County (you need an address there, though) instead of King County and avoid emissions that way. But you didn't hear it from me...
    2003 RS6, Mugello Blue/Ebony - SOLD :-(
    2015 S5 Coupe, Mythos Black w/Black Optics package and an attitude

Quote Originally Posted by 905084 View Post
    I'm pretty sure they will. Testing in WA is similar to OR, and in OR they do the OBD test and their system has a list of the emissions equipment for each car. It will expect to see SAI and will flag it as missing. It's possible you might still get through, however, because some states allow 1 or 2 failed or missing tests. I'm not sure if WA is one of them. Your best bet is to just bring it up and try.

In Oregon, if you fail the test, you don't pay and they just give you the results and send you on your way. Maybe someone from WA can verify if it's the same there.

I live in So Pierce county, only No. Pierce does emissions. Besides the SAI delete I also have Catless Milltek pipes so I probably wouldn't be green enough to ever survive in King County but I can sure pass a Prius like it's standing still.
    2003 White RS6 2013 Midnight Blue S5
    2013 Daytona RS5 2x944 Turbo's 1974 911 w/'91 3.6ltr motor
    Roy, WA

Quote Originally Posted by ben916 View Post
    Ah, well. They only check the ODBII connector, not the tailpipe sniffer
    Think with all the crap that has come to light with the VW diesels that these emission testing procedures are going to change??

That aside, I would find it hard to believe the SAI would cause a problem with emissions testing? The SAI is for cold starts and if the system is looped, the ECU should still read it as being in use no? Don't know for sure as I have no emissions testing in my part of the world. None of my cars would pass emissions testing.

If you need all the parts from a SAI delete effort, drop me a line as I have a couple of sets sitting in storage....
    '02 S6 Avant Silver - Pokey | Carbon Black/Ebony RS6 w/ stuff - darn quick | '03 Daytona Grey/Ebony RS6 w/ more stuff - quicker yet | '91 NSX CDN issue with 6spd & BBSC - quicker yet and then some | '87 Buick GNX OEM clone w/ lots of stuff - quickest hands down

I drive a section of I-10 every day.....remote 75mph limit. 85-90 is my sweet spot.

I can just about count on a Prius blocking left lane flow every day. Hell, the fu€king right lane can be wide open and the Prius is going 75 in the left lane. I can approach at 100 flashing my lights and they dont move. Wtf

I just did a fly by on one tonight.

Quote Originally Posted by hahnmgh63 View Post
    I live in So Pierce county, only No. Pierce does emissions. Besides the SAI delete I also have Catless Milltek pipes so I probably wouldn't be green enough to ever survive in King County but I can sure pass a Prius like it's standing still.

Thanks all. Going up there tomorrow to check out the condo we have under contract. Luckily, comes with 2 covered parking spots. I hate to bring the modded Thing 2 up there only to find out it won't pass. Not sure I really need 2 cars living on Lake Union either....decisions decisions....