Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: This after-market intake makes no sense to me

Quote Originally Posted by fukinavit View Post
    cant believe you would ruin that beautiful underhood appearance with that rice mod. regardless of power gains/turbo noise etc it just looks like a 16 year old made it for his civic! I love the carbon airbox, I mean we all paid a price for that.

Mine is done by previous owner...
    The sound is amazing and i think looks ok.
    Need to mount the the front carbonplate though.

Would be better if i made a "half cylinder" under each filter?

And the temperature is not that high here in Sweden... maby a smaller "problem" here.
    RS6-03: Milltek, ModTurbos, WagnerIC, Mtm 380, PSS9, Rs6 9,5x21", OZ 10x19", Hotchkis...
    RS2-94: Stroker 2,5L, Precision, CatCam, JE, Tial, Nira, H&R, MTM 8,5x18"...

There are a couple intakes on the market that "look" decent; Dahlback Racing, Fluid Motor Union come to mind. None of them have dyno charts to back them up. Hard to justify spending $700-1000 (or $5,000 in the case of the Gruppe M intake) for questionable power gains at best.

You could mimic the Champion Racing intake setup; I bet it works well (note the vented hood):

2017 Subaru BRZ Limited w/ Performance Pack 6MT
    2003 Audi RS 6 quattro 5AT - sold

Attachment 16773
    Another pic of the Champion RS6 engine.
    2003 White RS6 2013 Midnight Blue S5
    2013 Daytona RS5 2x944 Turbo's 1974 911 w/'91 3.6ltr motor
    Roy, WA

Quote Originally Posted by hahnmgh63 View Post
    Attachment 16773
    Another pic of the Champion RS6 engine.
    Fresh air in, box seals up against hood to prevent warm air, perfect.

Good to see they kept the high speed aero wiper...
    Ace/Edge TC - Tozo Trans - MTM TCU - REVO/ME7 tune - Wagner IC's w/ Venair Hoses - Aux Radiator delete - Hotchkis Sways - Hawk HPS Pads - Koni Sport Struts - Scroll KO4 Turbos - Devil's Own WM - 421whp/452wtq on Mustang Dyno - http://www.audirssix.com

Quote Originally Posted by Turbowned View Post
    There are a couple intakes on the market that "look" decent; Dahlback Racing, Fluid Motor Union come to mind. None of them have dyno charts to back them up. Hard to justify spending $700-1000 (or $5,000 in the case of the Gruppe M intake) for questionable power gains at best.

You could mimic the Champion Racing intake setup; I bet it works well (note the vented hood):
    I used to work in professional motorsports and had several friends who worked on those Dave Maraj / Champion / Speed World Challenge RS6s. I can see the car in picture was a Michael Galati car.... what a cool ass bad ass dude!!! You want to drive / race with him you better bring your A game ++++ and a spare set of balls. And If it rains.... just stay in the pits. I think other driver was Randy Pobst, much more clinical but came up grass roots SCCA amateur to Pro racing. Randy went on to do more pro level than Michael did, not sure why. Maybe family or just par for course motorsports $$ BS??

But intake / design wise, I can assure you those Speed World Challenge Cars were homologated down to the square cm. of airbox / intake space. In other words, don't look at that as best / most efficient design, surely it was rules / homologation restricted. That said, whatever they had for what they were allowed to do.... bet your ass it worked.

Very much enjoyed this video of the two RS6s kicking everyones butt.

https://vimeo.com/93262303
    2014 S8 - Daytona Gray Pearl Effect, APR Stage 2 Tune, APR downpipes

Only issue I ever saw with the stock intake box is the intake duct inlets are a little small (engineers worked with the lack of space they had), and the top cover is not rigid enough. When you go WOT the cover sucks down as the motor pulls in all that air. This limits the volume a bit.

I believe there is a Dyno vid somewhere on here that you can see this clearly.
    2008 A4 2.0TQ Quartz Grey Metallic S-Line/Titanium Package
    2017 A4 2.0TQ Glacier White Metallic Prestige Sport
    2003 RS6 TOTALED.-----Searching for a replacement

Quote Originally Posted by marklar182 View Post
    Only issue I ever saw with the stock intake box is the intake duct inlets are a little small (engineers worked with the lack of space they had), and the top cover is not rigid enough. When you go WOT the cover sucks down as the motor pulls in all that air. This limits the volume a bit.

I believe there is a Dyno vid somewhere on here that you can see this clearly.
    Another situation whereupon there is unfortunately no hard data/tests to support one way or the other. Don't know anyone that has the $ or set-up to support all these different types of comparisons which is why we continue to be theorizing. In consideration of a number of owners that have extracted and additional 100-150hp out of the base engine set-up with an aftermarket tune using OEM air cleaner assembly, OEM filters, OEM turbos, OEM injectors, etc., would IMO suggest that there is still more than adequate air supply.
    Last edited by Bigglezworth; October 8th, 2015 at 05:56. Reason: typo's
    '02 S6 Avant Silver - Pokey | Carbon Black/Ebony RS6 w/ stuff - darn quick | '03 Daytona Grey/Ebony RS6 w/ more stuff - quicker yet | '91 NSX CDN issue with 6spd & BBSC - quicker yet and then some | '87 Buick GNX OEM clone w/ lots of stuff - quickest hands down

Those ducts do seem pretty firm. AEM was making these plastic CAI tubes for a bit that the 03/04 Cobra guys were using but when pushing past 12 psi (which is a simple $50 pulley change on that car) they would completely collapse on themselves. LOL They did not stay on the market long. I forget if its Subaru or the EVO that has that problem too.

Did find a video of an S3 doing it.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w8cIkkKr7J4