Thread: magnaflow hi flow cat

magnaflow hi flow cat

does any body know or have experience with these magnaflow hi flow cats?. id like to change mine out as before I got mine chipped I was getting an efficiency code. I actually like the standard SE exhaust sound but would just like to upgrade the cats. Does the sizing look right?, just a straight forward weld in replacement?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Magnaflow-Ex...df38ee&vxp=mtr
    2010 XC90 exec, winter machine (V8 of course)
    2004 RS6 official Canadian edition, Daytona grey, (best colour!), summer edition
    2011 Q7 TDI, general alrounder

I had BOTH oem cats "rattling" on my 2001 A6 4.2L after 200k+ miles... Hired a local muffler shop cut the oem cats out and weld in a pair of Magnaflow cats---No codes. I have no idea if they improved performance or not----but it quieted the rattling sound at low RPMs. YMMV.
    2003 RS6 l SE Exhaust l Koni Yellow Sports w/stock springs l Lowered 1"F 1.25"R l EPL Tuned l 19 x 9.5 VMR V713 & 265 PSS's l 50% window tint l Protective film on entire hood, bumper and front quarter panels l

Quote Originally Posted by 4.2Crew View Post
    I had BOTH oem cats "rattling" on my 2001 A6 4.2L after 200k+ miles... Hired a local muffler shop cut the oem cats out and weld in a pair of Magnaflow cats---No codes. I have no idea if they improved performance or not----but it quieted the rattling sound at low RPMs. YMMV.

so you had these exact cats installed? so I can order these and get the local exhaust shop to weld them straight in with no issues?
    2004 RS6 official Canadian edition, Daytona grey, (best colour!), summer edition

Quote Originally Posted by fukinavit View Post
    so you had these exact cats installed? so I can order these and get the local exhaust shop to weld them straight in with no issues?
    I cannot confirm and guarantee they are the EXACT Magnaflow cats you are considering---this was 7+ years ago...

All I was trying to get across is the main cats on a C5 4.2L were replaced with Magnoflows without issue using a competent local independent exhaust shop.

What is at issue here?..... Are your main cats rattling and in need of replacement? ...Or are you scrounging for more performance?
    2003 RS6 l SE Exhaust l Koni Yellow Sports w/stock springs l Lowered 1"F 1.25"R l EPL Tuned l 19 x 9.5 VMR V713 & 265 PSS's l 50% window tint l Protective film on entire hood, bumper and front quarter panels l

like I said, I like the standard exhaust and the sound, the cats are old and a little restrictive, the pre cats are already gutted so I thought I would help it breathe a little easier by doing the mains too. magna flow make decent stuff and at reasonable prices. I just want to pre order some cats, show up at the exhaust shop and have them put them in.

Magnaflow use ceramic core cats which can foul up easily if you're running the car a little rich. I recommend finding 100 or 200 cell metallic core cats which tend to be more durable if you play around with fuel/tuning. I know Random Technology makes the 100 cell but they say (like Magnaglow) that they may not meet requirements for highway use).
    2017 Subaru BRZ Limited w/ Performance Pack 6MT
    2003 Audi RS 6 quattro 5AT - sold